• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Alejandro Valverde Discussion Thread

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
jens_attacks said:
he didn't insult him from what i've read. yes movistar,caisse d'epargne did this too. big deal. that's racing. they shouldn't have waited. but just like i said of cours the wheel will turn. maybe even tomorrow

He said that Valverde had cheated in the past. Im surprised you of all people don't not like that.

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
The worst thing about cycling, everything can be ok then just plain bad luck and your out the race. All that effort for nothing. Sucks for valverde. Though i hope now atleast nairo will be let of the chain fully.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Adam.S said:
The worst thing about cycling, everything can be ok then just plain bad luck and your out the race. All that effort for nothing. Sucks for valverde. Though i hope now atleast nairo will be let of the chain fully.

luck doesn't exist. tour winners never crash or flat. it's something you make and or have(like charisma)

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
luck doesn't exist. tour winners never crash or flat. it's something you make and or have(like charisma)

Please, the likes of armstrong, contador, evans, have all crashed in the tour down to bad luck. Sure you can try stay out of trouble as much as you can ( the better riders do) but sometimes **** just happens.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Adam.S said:
Please, the likes of armstrong, contador, evans, have all crashed in the tour down to bad luck. Sure you can try stay out of trouble as much as you can ( the better riders do) but sometimes **** just happens.

I don't remember contador ever crahsing in a gt he won. same with evans in the tour he won. armstrong only crashed once over that paper bag or something which really was nothing. armstrong in 7 years crashed once. no other cyclist in the tour can probably say that. contador only crashed in the tour he lost

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
I don't remember contador ever crahsing in a gt he won. same with evans in the tour he won. armstrong only crashed once over that paper bag or something which really was nothing. armstrong in 7 years crashed once. no other cyclist in the tour can probably say that. contador only crashed in the tour he lost

I'm just talking about them as being tour winners as in even the very best have bad luck. And contador had a flat and lost time ( bad luck) in 2007 when he won. **** happens to everyone.

Ryo Hazuki said:

Contador crashed and got injured in the '08 Giro. He punctured in the stage to Tignes in '07.

This year Contador crashed on stage 1, where Froome also fell in the neutral zone, yet I'm quite sure one of them will end up winning this Tour.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Amused said:
So, can we expect Valverde to help Froome by closing down attacks on the yellow jersey out of spite now? :)

We can probably expect him to help in closing down any attacks by Belkin. Or for him to try and push the pace if one of the Belkin guys are struggling.*

*Assuming he wants revenge of course.

Afrank said:
We can probably expect him to help in closing down any attacks by Belkin. Or for him to try and push the pace if one of the Belkin guys are struggling.*

*Assuming he wants revenge of course.

If valverdes sole.motivation is revenge, sky and Contador should be high on the list for the vuelta. Especially since there there was no other reason to pull. Only to screw over valverde.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I cannot recall the race but didn't Valverde & Movistar attack Rabo/Blanco last season. I think it was a crash and a split was formed in a crosswind? Maybe today was Valverde/Movistar getting a little payback from Belkin?

I cannot recall any major contender losing 10 minutes on a stage for doing nothing wrong. It's all because he had a badly timed mechanical. Sometimes people lose a minute or two. But ten? That's just ridiculous. And pretty poor sportsmanship as it came at a time where the main group could have allowed him to jump back without allowing the Kittel group to re-join.

Jericho said:
I cannot recall any major contender losing 10 minutes on a stage for doing nothing wrong. It's all because he had a badly timed mechanical. Sometimes people lose a minute or two. But ten? That's just ridiculous. And pretty poor sportsmanship as it came at a time where the main group could have allowed him to jump back without allowing the Kittel group to re-join.

nothing wrong??? a bunch of inepts who couldn't understand they had to switch bikes and not change the wheel. no excuses really.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Jericho said:

if you drop with 80 km to go in the wind it's normal to lose 10 minutes :rolleyes:

The Hitch said:
If valverdes sole.motivation is revenge, sky and Contador should be high on the list for the vuelta. Especially since there there was no other reason to pull. Only to screw over valverde.

Ryo Hazuki said:

Evans also flatted on stage 4 in 2011.

Contador needed to take time on Froome, Valverde was basically out of it when the second split formed. Contador if he wins the TDF would he ride the Vuelta?

TRENDING THREADS