• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Aleksandr Vlasov discussion thread

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I guess it's this time of the year. Vlasov is flying, on some great form at the start of 2024!

GFbGpfNXgAAJ2O4

Butraigo couldn’t go either. So maybe it’s more mcnulty just was the better and nothing could stop him
Can't agree. Buitrago was on the radio when McNulty attacked, Vlasov was looking around and then they looked at each other and no one really wanted to chase. There is a video of a spectator on twitter and at one point McNulty even had around 20s advantage.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Vlasov said that he probably won't have to pull for Roglic from the beginning on and that he won't loose time on purpose.
He didn't say that he doesn't want to help Roglic. Tactically its better for Bora to have Hindley and/or Vlasov up there.
Roglic is the clear leader but Bora won't burn Vlasov or Hindley without reason at the beginning.
Of course journalists want drama in the articles. Thats why they write something like that which Vlasov didn't say:
"The Russian rider admits that even though Primoz Roglic is now in the team and sharing goals, he does not yet think of himself in a domestique role."

Vlasov said that he probably won't have to pull for Roglic from the beginning on and that he won't loose time on purpose.
He didn't say that he doesn't want to help Roglic. Tactically its better for Bora to have Hindley and/or Vlasov up there.
Roglic is the clear leader but Bora won't burn Vlasov or Hindley without reason at the beginning.
Of course journalists want drama in the articles. Thats why they write something like that which Vlasov didn't say:
"The Russian rider admits that even though Primoz Roglic is now in the team and sharing goals, he does not yet think of himself in a domestique role."
On point!

Both of them then? But obvious drama because when he first joined, and it was the first press release of the year you say one thing, and now another. Thus drama.
What other thing? Everything Vlasov said is basically the same that everyone was saying at that press conference. Of course he won't pull for Rogla from the start, there are others in the team for that. It's also logical for me that he and Hindley are going to be protected riders at the Tour, someone will have to cover UAE captains. It was also said two months ago that he'll be co captain at Paris Nice, so no, there is no drama. Only for those who don't like him.

What other thing? Everything Vlasov said is basically the same that everyone was saying at that press conference. Of course he won't pull for Rogla from the start, there are others in the team for that. It's also logical for me that he and Hindley are going to be protected riders at the Tour, someone will have to cover UAE captains. It was also said two months ago that he'll be co captain at Paris Nice, so no, there is no drama. Only for those who don't like him.
It's true, I don't like him. But from the Roglic thread I understood that everyone would ride for Roglic.

It's true, I don't like him. But from the Roglic thread I understood that everyone would ride for Roglic.
Well, it can easily turn out to be a Riis/Ullrich situation. Riis was the defending champion so he would be the leader in 97. But it turned out that he didn't have the legs anymore and Ullrich did.

Riders today are perhaps more soundly fit than in the 90s but Roglic is already a year older than what Riis was when he collapsed in the 1997 Tour so he still has to show that he has the legs before he is the undisputed leader.

• Wow
Well, it can easily turn out to be a Riis/Ullrich situation. Riis was the defending champion so he would be the leader in 97. But it turned out that he didn't have the legs anymore and Ullrich did.

Riders today are perhaps more soundly fit than in the 90s but Roglic is already a year older than what Riis was when he collapsed in the 1997 Tour so he still has to show that he has the legs before he is the undisputed leader.
I don't think that's going to happen though. Roglic will still be much better than Vlasov. Vlasov will barely finish top 10 in the TDF if everyone stays fit.

Ullrich also had backing from behind the scenes which I doubt Vlasov has in the same way.

Doesn't have to be Vlasov either. It could be Hindley evolving a step further as well. Point is that Roglic is getting old and the bottom will fall out of his career bucket sooner or later.

It will of course also depend on how the riders perform ahead of the Tour. Roglič is the big star though, so they won't just sacrifice him the first time he shows weakness, which could very well be the opposite for the other two.