• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Alexander Kristoff

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
Seems to handle long races very very well. MSR was tailormade for his caractheristics this year. Can probably challenge in RVV in the years to come, perhaps even PR. And he confirmed this year that except for Kittel (and perhaps Cav) he is just as good a sprinter as the rest,
Yeah, he's my new favourite sprinter. He was very impressive in RVV when he was trying to catch up with the cancellara group.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Definitely one of my favourite sprinters.

Distance used to be his weakness rather than his strength right? :D

He needs to let guys like EBH, Boom and Sagan in on he secret of handling distance. (or not, if he wants to win some more classics)

Maaaaaaaarten said:
Definitely one of my favourite sprinters.

Distance used to be his weakness rather than his strength right? :D

He needs to let guys like EBH, Boom and Sagan in on he secret of handling distance. (or not, if he wants to win some more classics)

I don't think it was a weakness. His weakness was not being able to keep up with the pace without depleting the energy in his muscles. He probably could have ridden a long time had the pace been lower.;)

It's not a secret. It might feel like it if you don't know Norwegian though.
If I understood the interview with his trainer on tv correctly, what makes him special is his combination of fast and low twitch musculature, and in my own opinion that he has had the same trainer since he was 14 and they have followed a long term plan of development.

According to his coach, Kristoff can burn fat instead of muscle in long races. That means his sprint is only marginally affected after a long race, while most of the others have a big problem getting a good sprint going. In theory he could ride 400km's and still have the same sprinting capability.

This also means he is less affected in a tour, since he is burning less muscles relative to the other sprinters.

So lets say Kristoff starts the tour with 1500w sprinting power, while Kittel starts with 2000. At the end of the Tour Kittel is down to 1600w while Kristoff is down to 1450w.

He is scheduled to keep improving, so it will be interesting.

As for Sagan and EBH, they probably have a different balance of fast/slow twitch muscles. Also they have not been coached by Stein Ørn since they were 14.

Ørn is also a trainer for the guys at Østerhus-Ridley, so it will be interesting to see how they develop in the future.

According to Kristoff himself, he has not made any major leaps in performance, it's just that the few percent he improves each year meant that he at some point could keep up with the pace.

Sorry if I'm not making sense. This stuff is not something I know much about.

ToreBear said:
I don't think it was a weakness. His weakness was not being able to keep up with the pace without depleting the energy in his muscles. He probably could have ridden a long time had the pace been lower.;)

It's not a secret. It might feel like it if you don't know Norwegian though.
If I understood the interview with his trainer on tv correctly, what makes him special is his combination of fast and low twitch musculature, and in my own opinion that he has had the same trainer since he was 14 and they have followed a long term plan of development.

According to his coach, Kristoff can burn fat instead of muscle in long races. That means his sprint is only marginally affected after a long race, while most of the others have a big problem getting a good sprint going. In theory he could ride 400km's and still have the same sprinting capability.

This also means he is less affected in a tour, since he is burning less muscles relative to the other sprinters.

So lets say Kristoff starts the tour with 1500w sprinting power, while Kittel starts with 2000. At the end of the Tour Kittel is down to 1600w while Kristoff is down to 1450w.

He is scheduled to keep improving, so it will be interesting.

As for Sagan and EBH, they probably have a different balance of fast/slow twitch muscles. Also they have not been coached by Stein Ørn since they were 14.

Ørn is also a trainer for the guys at Østerhus-Ridley, so it will be interesting to see how they develop in the future.

According to Kristoff himself, he has not made any major leaps in performance, it's just that the few percent he improves each year meant that he at some point could keep up with the pace.

Sorry if I'm not making sense. This stuff is not something I know much about.

That's certainly very interesting,

Yes I like it that he seems an honest guy, he doesn't mind saying what he thinks (Which is way Cavendish got in a sulk) - but I think its very refreshing.

May he go far.

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
ToreBear said:
Also they have not been coached by Stein Ørn since they were 14.

Ørn is also a medical doctor, and we all know how important they are in cycling :)

The vegan ultra runner Rich Roll talks about burning fat instead of muscle (when running I understand) - I guess that is what Kristoff's step father is on to there, but I've no idea how you do it, else I'd be a pro also :-(

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
MellowJohnny said:
The vegan ultra runner Rich Roll talks about burning fat instead of muscle (when running I understand) - I guess that is what Kristoff's step father is on to there, but I've no idea how you do it, else I'd be a pro also :-(

It's not about burning fat instead of muscle, it's about using fat as a fuel source rather than muscle glycogen (which is stored carbohydrates and not muscle protein). Riding at a steady pace burns fat for fuel whereas sprinting uses glycogen as fuel source.

Kristoff supposedly goes on loooooong training rides to build endurance so that he's sharper at the end of a long race as oppose to someone like Kittel who performs better the easier the stage is.

KristoffBeast_zps7d658f14.png

Hakkapelit said:
With both Nordhaug and EBH in the same group, is it just this picture or was the teamwork not top notch?

Probably not a team work issue as much as a legs issue. Also at this point they are decending quickly so it's not really easy to pull the field as much as it's about positioning oneself in the downhill.

MellowJohnny said:

not difficult to do. Read an article on it years ago by Greg Welch

TRENDING THREADS