• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Alexandre Vinokourov

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Zen Master said:
Sorry mate but why ?!! Because he hesitated to sign the anti-doping agreement with Katusha perhaps !?
Astarloza, Ricco and ( retired ) Kohl !? Woooooooooooow all big peloton guns in one place, simply amazing bravery !??
Oh, oh, oh what a hero !?!
respect-069.gif

Never said he was a hero. Just laughing at his tweet. Don't shoot the messenger. I wonder why he wouldn't agree with the doping agreement though?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I read this on PezCycling:

"Vino rode in the criterium in Castillon-la-Bataille in a jersey modelled on the Astana team strip, but featuring a giant picture of himself (riding in Astana kit) as well as the logo across the top left hand side “Vino 4 Ever” (which one can only assume was an answer to the question “How long should blood dopers, who continually deny their actions, be banned from the sport?”)."

Does anyone have a pic with him is this kit? I really would like a good laugh today:D

titan_90 said:
I read this on PezCycling:

"Vino rode in the criterium in Castillon-la-Bataille in a jersey modelled on the Astana team strip, but featuring a giant picture of himself (riding in Astana kit) as well as the logo across the top left hand side “Vino 4 Ever” (which one can only assume was an answer to the question “How long should blood dopers, who continually deny their actions, be banned from the sport?”)."

Does anyone have a pic with him is this kit? I really would like a good laugh today:D

One man's conceit is another man's confidence. What I can't believe, actually, is the conceit displayed by Pez and it's "writers." :mad: Are they journalists or commentators? At least VeloNews and Cyclingnews.com do a reasonable job of separating the opinion pieces from the hard news, something proving a bit too adult-like for Pez to master.

More of my thoughts on the matter, here.

And a Vino-comeback photo gallery, here.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
joe_papp said:
One man's conceit is another man's confidence. What I can't believe, actually, is the conceit displayed by Pez and it's "writers." :mad: Are they journalists or commentators? At least VeloNews and Cyclingnews.com do a reasonable job of separating the opinion pieces from the hard news, something proving a bit too adult-like for Pez to master.

More of my thoughts on the matter, here.

Joe...nice story and blog...I hope you will continue to update!

Eva Maria said:
Good, thoughtful post Joe... On related note I remember when you used to write your cyclingnews diary's you talked about racing against Rumsas in a GF. IIRC you talked about how much you "respected" him. I thought it was an interesting choice of words and it stuck with me. What did you find respectful about him? Was it just his athletic ability or was he just a nice guy? After he ditched his wife in the French prison I lost respect for him.

Firstly, thanks.

Secondly, re. Rumsas - what I respected was not his character, but rather, his God-given natural talent as an athlete. I raced against him many times that year, and I was obviously doped, and he may or may not have been doped, but he possessed abilities on a bike that came from his DNA - and I respected that talent. Granted, it took training to realize the full potential of his ability, and he apparently used medicine at various times to supersede his natural limits, but what limits they were! He was like a moto! Beautiful to watch, even as he left you behind, writhing and thrashing about in O2 debt.

As for the wife-rotting-in-jail-thing...yeah, ouch. Not very chivalrous. Of course, maybe SHE told HIM to leave her, and save himself! :D

auscyclefan94 said:
Never said he was a hero. Just laughing at his tweet. Don't shoot the messenger. I wonder why he wouldn't agree with the doping agreement though?

It's ok mate ;)
IMHO problem is that practically no one ever mentioned big ( doped ) fishes and every fücking time is the same story again and again: Boooooooooo Ricco don't come back you little doped worm !?! Booooooooooooo Astarloza stay with Kohl etc and etc
Omerta is a wonderful thing :rolleyes:

Eva Maria

BANNED
May 24, 2009
Visit site
joe_papp said:
Firstly, thanks.

Secondly, re. Rumsas - what I respected was not his character, but rather, his God-given natural talent as an athlete. I raced against him many times that year, and I was obviously doped, and he may or may not have been doped, but he possessed abilities on a bike that came from his DNA - and I respected that talent. Granted, it took training to realize the full potential of his ability, and he apparently used medicine at various times to supersede his natural limits, but what limits they were! He was like a moto! Beautiful to watch, even as he left you behind, writhing and thrashing about in O2 debt.

As for the wife-rotting-in-jail-thing...yeah, ouch. Not very chivalrous. Of course, maybe SHE told HIM to leave her, and save himself! :D

I get you. It is amazing to see someone with that talent perform.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Wife told him to stay away. She was a world class athlete herself. She knew rules of the game.

On Vino's jersey. I do not think that is a one off. I am pretty sure I have seen it for sale, and some guy wearing one, in France.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Kennf1 said:
I can't even begin to understand the kind of conceit needed to wear a jersey like that.

I think he should do a full Colbert. A jersey with a photo of him wearing a jersey which has a photo of him wearing a jersey...

Should qualify him for the giant brass balls award.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestones said:
I think he should do a full Colbert. A jersey with a photo of him wearing a jersey which has a photo of him wearing a jersey...

I love it!

In his pre-ban riding there was rarely a dull moment and it doesn't look like anything has changed that way!

There are going to be many people encouraging him so he might as well do it himself!

Cobblestones said:

Brilliant. If anyone finds a link to a vendor of a Vino jersey, let me know! I'll buy the full kit, including socks, and pimp for him here. I'm surprised Armstrong hasn't done this already. After all, he had his own baseball cap made for his pro-debut in Europe...:D

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
joe_papp said:
Brilliant. If anyone finds a link to a vendor of a Vino jersey, let me know! I'll buy the full kit, including socks, and pimp for him here. I'm surprised Armstrong hasn't done this already. After all, he had his own baseball cap made for his pro-debut in Europe...:D

+1

I'll take that kit too!

May 13, 2009
Visit site
mistahsinclair said:
In his pre-ban riding there was rarely a dull moment and it doesn't look like anything has changed that way!

This is so true. People hate Vino, DiLuca, Ricco, and Rasmussen, but they were always good for excitement. Now it can be argued that some of their aggressiveness they might owe to certain practices which we aren't allow to mention on this side of the forum, so it will be interesting to see them riding post ban (can I say ban, or do I have to use euphemisms for that as well here?)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Gee333 said:
And when the star of the team, Contador, leaves town along with all the other notable stars, how well do you think you'll do Vino? Better start looking for a part-time job elsewhere. Wal Mart is always looking for greeters... :p

Vino lives in Monaco - don't think there are Walmart's there. They do have Monoprix in France though. He could ride his Schwinn bike he got at a discount at the store to work.

To Vino's future in retail - now I'll definitely drink (some vino) to that.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Animal said:
The guy's so far up his own arse to wear kit like that.

maybe a sponsor gave this to him and he's such a nice guy that he hated the kit but wore because itr wouldn't be nice to the sponsor to say no.

you are so far up your own arse to judge people by the clothes they wear :p

Licence problems. The application to the UCI has not yet been completed. He must formally apply for a license in Monaco because that is where he resides. It is now not known when Vinokourov will make his comeback.

ak-zaaf said:
maybe a sponsor gave this to him and he's such a nice guy that he hated the kit but wore because itr wouldn't be nice to the sponsor to say no.

you are so far up your own arse to judge people by the clothes they wear :p

Pff!

I don't go round with specially screen printed kit reading "Animal 4 ever"!

He's the egotistical arsehole, not me matey.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
lucybears said:
Licence problems. The application to the UCI has not yet been completed. He must formally apply for a license in Monaco because that is where he resides. It is now not known when Vinokourov will make his comeback.

I thought he still rides under a Kazakh licence, it was them that gave him the two year ban and not the French Federation who would issue a ban if he rode under a licence from them.

TRENDING THREADS