• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

All three grand tours.

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Could Contador win the Giro, Tour and Vuelta in one season?

• He simply cannot do it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Of course not.

With great difficulty and under certain circumstances, including relatively soft parcours and weak fields, Vuelta + Giro is still possible. Although, I may be too optimistical. However we can see the Giro+TdF or TdF+Vuelta doubles if antidoping direction will be recognized a deadlock in the future and UCI will be replaced by some alternative cycling organization which might let riders fly again. But it's highly unlikely

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
One thing I do not understand: What has the no points rule to do with his chances to succeed?

A team strong enough to do this would have to be entirely structured around this goal. All the other riders would have to sacrifice WT points in order to achieve it, so I think the leader would have to actually be able to win the points to keep the team in the WT. If he can't win you WT points, I think it's much harder to justify building a superteam around him.

Caruut said:
A team strong enough to do this would have to be entirely structured around this goal. All the other riders would have to sacrifice WT points in order to achieve it, so I think the leader would have to actually be able to win the points to keep the team in the WT. If he can't win you WT points, I think it's much harder to justify building a superteam around him.

Okay fair enough.

We don't know if it's possible, because absolutely nobody has tried in in the last 20 years. The closest thing was Sastre in 2010, he rode top 10 in the Giro, top 20 in the tour, and top 10 in the Vuelta.

We know for sure that if anyone can do it, it's Contador and I hope he tries one day, so we know it's a possibility. Also, everything has to fall in place. What I think is very important, is that the time between the GT's is as long as possible and that the Giro route is as easy as possible. Contador is an ambitious rider, he's looking for new goals. If he achieves it, he'll be a legend, and he knows that. New goals could also include hilly classics and the worlds.

Let's say there might be a 1% chance. We don't know it for sure because nobody tried it like forever. If you don't try, you don't win. I seriously want to see him try it, because i want to know if it's possible, and i think it's one of the greatest things one can achieve in sports.

BTW, you know what's even harder winning PN and TA in the same year:D:D:D

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Oh airstream I really just roflol'd.

You're too obvious.

what "to roflol" means? i'm trying to be unbiased. i appreciate your belief in miracles and support your rider whatever happens. But frankly speaking any double including the Tour is unrealistic. generally such an assumption collides with an elementary fact - life goes on and the rivals don't sit still. Contador, who is allegedly head and shoulders above all the rest [we are lookin into the perspective to win the double] is a myth cherished by the forum. I have seen the thread about the most hyped riders somewhere around here, really wonder if Contador was mentioned there.

alright, what had happened if he could of had a stronger team in the Giro?

airstream said:
what "to roflol" means? i'm trying to be unbiased. i appreciate your belief in miracles and support your rider whatever happens. But frankly speaking any double including the Tour is unrealistic. generally such an assumption collides with an elementary fact - life goes on and the rivals don't sit still. Contador, who is allegedly head and shoulders above all the rest [we are lookin into the perspective to win the double] is a myth cherished by the forum. I have seen the thread about the most hyped riders somewhere around here, really wonder if Contador was mentioned there.

alright, what had happened if he could of had a stronger team in the Giro?

airstream come on. You say that he can only maybe, just maybe, win the Tour again with a huge amount of luck and with bad competitors.

You say that he could, maybe, just maybe, win the Giro Tour double, again, with a huge amount of luck and opponents in bad form and soft parcours.

You're being silly and you know it. Alberto being head and shoulders above the rest isn't a myth.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
airstream come on. You say that he can only maybe, just maybe, win the Tour again with a huge amount of luck and with bad competitors.
I was saying he will never win the Tour more, but the Giro+Vuelta double is hypothetically feasible.

You're being silly and you know it.
:confused:

1. He will need an easy Giro, relatively easy tour (a couple of mountains to break the tters) and a super easy Vuelta with perhaps only 1 hard mountainstage
2. he'll need a SUPER team to soft pedal him through all 3
3. he will need a perfect winter, without any form for injury or sickness (he can't loose 1 daay of preperation)
4. He'll need some badass luck :p

Vino attacks everyone said:
1. He will need an easy Giro, relatively easy tour (a couple of mountains to break the tters) and a super easy Vuelta with perhaps only 1 hard mountainstage
2. he'll need a SUPER team to soft pedal him through all 3
3. he will need a perfect winter, without any form for injury or sickness (he can't loose 1 daay of preperation)
4. He'll need some badass luck :p

Seems do-able...

spalco said:
If Merckx couldn't do it, then Contador can't either.

To be fair, in those days the Vuelta was in April. Merckx was too busy killing everybody in the Classics to really give it a go.

The only way I see this working is to hold all 3 in one go, in a calendar year rather than one year.

The most likely way is to win the Tour and then hold on for the Vuelta (the slower average speed of the Vuelta péloton makes this more likely than the Giro-Tour double) - two of the 2007 Tour top 5 were top 5 in the ensuing Vuelta (Sastre and Evans), while Sastre won the Tour then podiumed the Vuelta in 2008 (and I think we'd all agree that peak form Contador > peak form Sastre). Then, after that, focus on the Giro the following year.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I was looking back at Merckx to see if he'd done a simultaneous triple, thought he had for a minute, then realised that the Vuelta was at a different time.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Airstream are you kidding yourself?

Alberto won't win the Tour again. But he will win several Giro-Vuelta doubles with +3 minutes advantage.
:eek::eek:
yes, that's my stance at least. what's wrong with that?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts