• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

All three grand tours.

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Could Contador win the Giro, Tour and Vuelta in one season?

• He simply cannot do it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
airstream said:
what "to roflol" means? i'm trying to be unbiased. i appreciate your belief in miracles and support your rider whatever happens. But frankly speaking any double including the Tour is unrealistic. generally such an assumption collides with an elementary fact - life goes on and the rivals don't sit still. Contador, who is allegedly head and shoulders above all the rest [we are lookin into the perspective to win the double] is a myth cherished by the forum. I have seen the thread about the most hyped riders somewhere around here, really wonder if Contador was mentioned there.

alright, what had happened if he could of had a stronger team in the Giro?

In grand tours and stage races his record speaks for itself. In that respect his superiority over his rivals in grand tours and stage races can't be disputed. As such he is head and shoulders above his competitors. Who is his equal? Andy? He who hasn't really ever stood on the top step at the end of a major stage race?

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Angliru said:
In grand tours and stage races his record speaks for itself. In that respect his superiority over his rivals in grand tours and stage races can't be disputed. As such he is head and shoulders above his competitors. Who is his equal? Andy? He who hasn't really ever stood on the top step at the end of a major stage race?

The talk is not about superiority in itself. no one can dispute it. but the double with the tour implies inexhaustible over resources which he didn't have and and all the more so won't have after suspension. only pls let's not jump into debates about 2011 giro and tdf. everything was discussed many times. :D

airstream said:
The talk is not about superiority in itself. no one can dispute it. but the double with the tour implies inexhaustible over resources which he didn't have and and the more so won't have after suspension.

give him a easy giro, and a proper team m8... if it still doesn't work... well then we have to wait a couple of years before some of Ryos colombians does it :D

airstream said:
yes, that's my stance at least. what's wrong with that?

It's your hope and dream because if it were not to come true it would mean more failure for dear Andy. There's nothing wrong with dreaming. Reach for the stars! You have to believe in your boy and believe that that his reign of terror upon the Tour will have to start at some point. You are likely firmly of the belief that Contador's 2011 Tour performance was a sign of his declining talent and that Andy's finishing ahead of him was a sign that Andy has surpassed Contador as the preiminent talent in grand tours. You probably believe Andy is the world's best climber and that his TT skills under the expert tutelage of Johann will deliver him to a string of Tour wins to rival HWINTBN.

Well prepare yourself for disappointment. I believe Andy will one day win the Tour and he may one day actually defeat Contador in the Tour, although I think it isn't likely to happen until Contador begins his actual declining years. Unfortunately for Andy they aren't anywhere in the immediate future.
Add to that the difference in mentality of Contador and Andy: One lives to compete and the other lives to win the Tour. We see how this difference in attitude has played out over the years and will likely continue to.

Angliru said:
It's your hope and dream because if it were not to come true it would mean more failure for dear Andy. There's nothing wrong with dreaming. Reach for the stars! You have to believe in your boy and believe that that his reign of terror upon the Tour will have to start at some point. You are likely firmly of the belief that Contador's 2011 Tour performance was a sign of his declining talent and that Andy's finishing ahead of him was a sign that Andy has surpassed Contador as the preiminent talent in grand tours. You probably believe Andy is the world's best climber and that his TT skills under the expert tutelage of Johann will deliver him to a string of Tour wins to rival HWINTBN.

Well prepare yourself for disappointment. I believe Andy will one day win the Tour and he may one day actually defeat Contador in the Tour, although I think it isn't likely to happen until Contador begins his actual declining years. Unfortunately for Andy they aren't anywhere in the immediate future.
Add to that the difference in mentality of Contador and Andy: One lives to compete and the other lives to win the Tour. We see how this difference in attitude has played out over the years and will likely continue to.

said this earlier, and i will say it again, Contador is going do start declining at the age of 34 :) and win his last gt at the age of 37, he will for generations to come be rememberd as the greatest GT rider to ever raced, and his tour victory in 2013 will be remembered as the most boring tour ever, because of his total domination through 21 days

Vino attacks everyone said:
said this earlier, and i will say it again, Contador is going do start declining at the age of 34 :) and win his last gt at the age of 37, he will for generations to come be rememberd as the greatest GT rider to ever raced, and his tour victory in 2013 will be remembered as the most boring tour ever, because of his total domination through 21 days

I'd love that but I'm afraid it's nothing more than a great dream.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
nothing new actually. there's a traditional pro- Contador / anti- all the rest stance which doesn't want to take into consideration the things its followers don't like. suppose, you are right, after all you are 4 as minimum, i'm the only one. time will judge.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
gooner said:
Not a hope.

He could win a Tour-Giro double but the Giro would have to be a lot easier then last years one. I think he is the only one in the peloton capable of winning 2 Tours in the same year though.

In 2013 I think he will concentrate solely on the Tour and if he wins it, I think he will go all out for the Tour-Giro double in 2014 provided the Giro isnt as brutal as in the last couple of years. I say this is a big ambition of Contador before he retires to win both in the same year.

Absolutely. As we saw in 2011, a hard Giro and Tour aren't possible, even for Contador. In the past the double was easier because so much of the Giro was ridden at the famous "piano" (gentle) pace--it just wasn't as brutal a race as the Tour. That's changed. When you add in the insane vertical cliffs they've been tossing into the Vuelta as "mountaintop finishes," then the idea of one rider winning all three GTs becomes impossible.

LaFlorecita said:
He'll be 30 at the end of this year okay. You don't improve when you're 30.

Look at Samu's and Evans' results since they turned 30. If you don't believe he can still continue to improve you can accept that he'll become wiser, craftier, and potentially he'll maybe get on a team with a decent budget that can support him in the manner that he deserves.

Edit: I should say since their late 20's, their results have continued to improve in their overall quality.

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
No Contador isn't capable and I doubt there ever will be anyone who can (with the grand tours as they are), three in a row is possible, three in one year is not.

Angliru said:
Look at Samu's and Evans' results since they turned 30. If you don't believe he can still continue to improve you can accept that he'll become wiser, craftier, and potentially he'll maybe get on a team with a decent budget that can support him in the manner that he deserves.

Edit: I should say since their late 20's, their results have continued to improve in their overall quality.

But you must not forget that younger riders will get into their prime years. Alberto may be the best and most talented but younger riders that are slightly less talented and just a bit worse get the edge when Alberto is going downwards and they are only going upwards.

It's not like Alberto is that young anymore. A few years back he was the young guy who was going to win lots of GTs. It's just no longer like that.

LaFlorecita said:
But you must not forget that younger riders will get into their prime years. Alberto may be the best and most talented but younger riders that are slightly less talented and just a bit worse get the edge when Alberto is going downwards and they are only going upwards.

It's not like Alberto is that young anymore. A few years back he was the young guy who was going to win lots of GTs. It's just no longer like that.

what young and upcoming people are we talking about?
Pinot :rolleyes:
9999 different colombians :D
Some dutch guy that looks like a playboy? ;)
some italian guy i haven't even heard of?

Meh, COnta got atleast 4 more years of total domination, belive me, after that it will be hard to do a double, but he will win gt's until his laaate 30's