• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Allen Lim's Rice Cake recipe

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Did anyone see the nightly fraudio shack propaganda feature on Friday night?

Allen Lim showed how to make his world famous rice cakes. It made me cringe and I was wondering if anyone else has tried to make them.

There were some scrambled eggs in them. I love eggs, but have never eaten eggs that had been cooked the night before, refrigerated, then wrapped in a paper-foiled big mac wrapper and taken for a 2-3 hour ride in 90 degree heat in the rear pocket of my jersey pressed against my 100+ degree body for a couple hours.

Maybe I am missing something. I grew up in a restaurant owned by my family, worked in restaurants, was serv-safe certified while working in a grocery store and also am a commercial insurance underwriter (meaning I actually read the details of restaurant ratings by your health department).

Lim's rice cakes sound to me like a recipe for salmonella. Among other things, the symptoms of which could be severe gastroenteritis, Like #21 (aka The Hapless Texan) had in the spring.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/salment_g.htm
Reducing the risk of Salmonella enteritidis infection
Keep eggs refrigerated.
Discard cracked or dirty eggs.
Wash hands and cooking utensils with soap and water after contact with raw eggs.
Eat eggs promptly after cooking. Do not keep eggs warm for more than 2hours.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
salmonella has to be present when the egg is originally prepared it does not appear later on from bacterial break down same as e.coli. with e.coli and salmonella the food is contaminated before it is cooked hence the recommended cooking temps to kill these pathogens. bacteria growth begins in 3 to 4 hours based on temp all generally harmless bacterias you should see some of the fermented rotten food eaten world wide.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Lims new PR.ice cakes.

Bake for 200.5km at 30c/86f – add water.
If too much testosterone added put on tin foil hat and let cool for 6 months.

Do not exceed 6.7 watts per kg at threshold or it will turn in to a monster.
Firmly press home Phd.

Add $500,000 and quickly transfer to RadioShack.
Cut in to soundbites.
Remove integrity.
Serve cold.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I would not mind trying them, but it is about a gazillion degrees where I am and I don't have someone to give me a musette full of rice cakes halfway through a ride. Maybe they would be good a a pre or post ride snack.

I can never get mine to set properly...