• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Alpine Skiing

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Only one month to go before the season ends which means that the probably most exciting part of the season starts. Thats because a) the fight for the crystal globes starts and especially the overall world cups are still very open and b) this is the time of the season in which the dominators of the first half start to get tired so there are usually more skiers who can win races.
After a parallel event in Stockholm next Tuesday the men have 2 downhills, 3 super g's, 5 (!!!) giant slaloms, and 2 slaloms left while the ladies have only 1 downhill, 3 super g's, 2 giant slaloms, 2 slaloms and 2 super combines left.
Here is my attempt to predict the rest of the season:
MEN:
overall:

Although Kristoffersen is only less than 100 points behind Hirscher I think he is the very obvious underdog. Thats mainly because the remaining races clearly favor Hirscher. The Austrian is probably in the better gs shape and he can make points in super-g's so he has 8 (or rather 7 because I doubt that he will go to Kvitfjell) races which favor him, while Kristofferson has only 2 slaloms left and is almost 100 points behind. Nevertheless Hirscher was pretty bad in Japan, and if he doesnt find his shape again and Kristoffersen skis on like he has done in the rest of the season this could become very close.

downhill:
This could be very interesting. With Fill, Jansrud, Theaux, Paris and Fayed there are probably 5 athletes who will compete for the win in this discipline. Fill has a good advantage of 69 points on Theaux and 73 on Jansrud but especially the Norwegian is usually very strong in Kvitfjell, and the slope in St.Moritz should be good for him too. Fill is still my favorite because of his advantage but I give Jansrud almost equal chances.

super-g:
This discipline is even more interesting, especially because the leader is still Svindal and his advantage of 120 points could be enough to win this competition without competing in the last 4 events. What makes this discipline even more interesting is the fact that more than 15 athletes are within 100 points to the currently 2nd Andrew Weibrecht. Another interesting factor in this discipline might be Marcel Hirscher. He is currently on 8th place and has only 46 points disadvantage to Weibrecht. Moreover the super g in hinterstoder fits him perfectly (to be honest, IMO he is the favorite there) and he usually also is very good in the last super g of the season and if he wins next weekend I can imagine that he will also go to Kvitjell. Nevertheless the favorite is in my opinion Svindal because making 110 points in 3 races isnt even that easy. Besides Svindal I also give Weibrecht and Kilde a good chance.

giant slalom:
Hirscher is obviously the big favorite with over 100 points advantage, but with 5 races to go this is actually still very open as well. Muffat jeandet, Faivre, Kristoffersen, Pinturault and Neureuther are all within 80 points so they all have a chance. I can't really say who of them has the biggest chance to beat Hirscher but its definitely possible that one of them does.

slalom:
Kristoffersen

LADIES:
overall:

Believe it or not but Gut is my favorite. I think the two super combines and the giant slaloms favor her and 2 of the 3 super g' are on slopes which should fit her too. Moreover there is only one downhill left, which is (as well as the third super-g) on a slope on which Gut is usually good too. I know that Vonn has a great shape but I have the feeling that she doesnt have the best nerves this year. I know she has been in this situation very often while its Gut's first chance to win the overall world cup, which might be an advantage for Vonn, but I have the feeling that the fact that she just isnt as dominant as she was before Garmisch might be a bad sign for her.

downhill:
Vonn

Super g:
Vonn has an advantage of about 60 points on Gut, everyone else is too far behind. This could be interesting because, as I wrote it above, the next two Super-g's should fit Gut better than Vonn. On the other hand Vonn still has a monster shape in which she actually is the favorite on every slope of the world, so it will be extremely difficult to beat the American.

giant slalom:
I honestly hope that Brem can win this because she just deserves to win this competition after being in the top ten of every single gs since about 2 years. (Moreover she is the only female Austrian hope to win a globe so ofc I root for her :D ). However IMO the favorite is Rebensburg, because her shape gets better and better and with less than 40 points of disadvantage and 2 races to go that means that if she wins both races Brem can do whatever she wants, but the giant slalom globe will go to Germany.

Slalom:
Hansdotter is the big favorite with a 99 points advantage but if she skis out (which is always possible in a slalom) Zuzulova and Strachova are back in business. Moreover it could be crucial that the advantage is 99 points and not 101 because it means that that if Hansdotter gets 4th two times and Zuzulova wins both remaining slaloms she also wins the slalom globe by 1 point. Just to remind you, in 2014 Hirscher lost the giant slalom world cup to Ligety although he was 100 points in front, with only 2 races to go, so it isnt over yet.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Gigs_98 your prediction for the women's slalom is very interesting since you leave Mikaela completely out of the equation. Mikaela will not win the SL cup, but she could help make the whole situation very sticky in those last two SL's.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
1zn7gy9.jpg
Even though Lindsey clinched her record 8th Downhill title here in LaThuile, ITA. this weekend. She did not ski that confidently this week. and left Italy without a win, in her favorite Speed events. Today she took 3rd, edged out by Lara Gut.
v8j5at.jpg
Lara is not shrinking from the challenge, and came off of the weekend with a DH win and 2nd in todays Super G
308egeq.jpg
Tina Weirather who has been skiing very well and consistently, finally ended on the top step of the podium with an excellent win in todays Super G
24291mo.jpg
The podium that ended the weekend.
Oh, and yes it was nice to see Nadia Fanchini get the win in the weekends second Downhill, after being pushed down to third in the first DH.

Re:

nowhereman said:
Gigs_98 your prediction for the women's slalom is very interesting since you leave Mikaela completely out of the equation. Mikaela will not win the SL cup, but she could help make the whole situation very sticky in those last two SL's.
You are right I forgot about her and she will probably help hansdotter because its not that unlikely that she wins the last two slaloms so zuzulova can gain less points. Unfortunately that will rather make it less interesting

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Rescheduled GS from Adelboden took place in Hinterstoder, Austria today, and the French are still on a roll!
Alexis Pinturault took the GS and kept Home Boy Marcel Hirscher off the top step of the podium once again.
But Marcel did redeem himself with a 2nd place finish between Frenchmen Alexis Pinturault and Thomas Fanara
who took 3rd place on the day. 4th on the day was young man, Henrik Kristoffersen of Norway, who is trying to
keep it close with Marcel Hirscher
2psn9j6.jpg
Alexis Pinturault, silent flyer
9qgymc.jpg
Marcel Hirscher trying to pt another World Cup on his top shelf
99j47c.jpg
Frenchman Thomas Fanara took 3rd on the day
242a721.jpg
Young Challenger Henrik Kristoffersen 4th and still in the hunt. Stretching it out!

I’ve noticed that even when Lindsey is on the third step of the podium, as has been the case twice just on this page, she towers over the other women. Is she unusually tall (5' 10" according to Wiki) for a woman skier?

Is there in fact an optimum height for an elite skier? I would think that, on the one hand, taller and heavier means a little faster going downhill, but on the other hand, shorter and lighter means turning through gates a little faster. Most of Vonn's world titles have come in speed events (downhill and super G), and even the combined includes downhill. And only 6 of her 76 WC victories have come in the slalom or GS. All of this suggests that she is taller and heavier than average and tends to do better in speed events.

Re:

Brullnux said:
Also what's wrong with the super g's? Hirscher should never come 3rd in one. Ever.
I actually only partly agree here.
Hirscher was 7th in the Pyeongchang Super-G and without a mistake in the lower section he probably also would have come 3rd. However the Super-G in Hinterstoder was indeed very technical although the course setter made it as fast as possible, but on this slope you just can't make it less technical.
Nevertheless I think he deserved that 3rd place because no matter if this was a super-g or not the way he skied the steepest part of the slope was just unrivaled.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I hate to say this but it didn't really matter who won the Super Combined in Andorra this weekend. What became the paramount question this weekend was: Was the race for the Womens World Cup over? Despite people insinuating that Lindsey was acting on Saturday when she was carted off the mountain, after a crash in a Sprint Super G held in snowy weather. Lindsey suffered a broken bone. Well, She gave new mening to the saying "...Break a Leg!" Because got back on the mountain the next day to compete for the Super Combined. A Super G run and a Slalom. On Saturday in the Super G, Lara Gut, skiing after the course hold to remove Lindsey from the hill, did not capitalize on Vonns DQ, gaining only a handful of points. And then on Sunday, after Vonn took the Super G run, Gut skied out of the slalom run, and lost more points to Lindsey who hung on in the slalom run to salvage a handful of points. Some of you out there might really dislike Lindsey, but she is one helluva competitor. One exceptional Athlete!
2ia6c69.jpg
On a broken leg she took the Super G portion of the combined
2coso48.jpg
Skating for every 10th of a second she could find in the slalom
1z32x7b.jpg
Lara Gut rues the moment after her SL DQ
2jffytg.jpg
Oh, BTW, the Winners: Wendy Holdener 2nd, Marie Michele Gagnon 1st, Anne Sophie Barthet 3rd. Who said we didn't care about them?! :D

About the acting. Im pretty sure her leg really hurt but the point is that because of her crash the other top skiers didnt have a chance because the snow fall became stronger. Said differently, while she fell because of a technical mistake everyone else didnt have a chance although they were probably skiing well, so the person who profitet most from lindseys crash was lindsey.
Moreover I was annoyed that suddenly everyone was acting as if lindsey's combined was a completely outstanding effort. If her leg would hurt that bad she wouldnt have been that good, so her pain just didnt influence her which means that this race wasnt any more impressive than every other race of her this year. Its like with reichelts Kitz win 2014 when he won with a herniated disk. He was better than that anywhere else in that season so why should I think that it affected his race.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Gigs_98 said:
About the acting. Im pretty sure her leg really hurt but the point is that because of her crash the other top skiers didnt have a chance because the snow fall became stronger. Said differently, while she fell because of a technical mistake everyone else didnt have a chance although they were probably skiing well, so the person who profitet most from lindseys crash was lindsey.
Moreover I was annoyed that suddenly everyone was acting as if lindsey's combined was a completely outstanding effort. If her leg would hurt that bad she wouldnt have been that good, so her pain just didnt influence her which means that this race wasnt any more impressive than every other race of her this year. Its like with reichelts Kitz win 2014 when he won with a herniated disk. He was better than that anywhere else in that season so why should I think that it affected his race.
I must say, you obviously think those comments should be taken seriously. And that's the interesting part of it. Because besides your comments being absolutely ridiculous, they undermine the credibility of anything you say. I'm sorry t say this to you, because I realize you owe it to yourself to be offended by comments like that, but remember, it is just my opinion.
I mean, you fall just short of saying that her fall and subsequent injury, which forced a somewhat lengthy evacuation from the hill, was the reason none of the following skiers skied fast after her fall, and it was her fault!! But, that in the end it was a self serving fall, that benefitted only Lindsey. Then you try to trivialize her efforts on the subsequent day, in the Super Combined, by likening them to (yet another )Austrian Hannes Reichelt and his extraordinary performance in Kitzbuhel. Give it a break, please. At the very least, both of those performances were remarkable. If you haven't competed with broken bones, your comments should spew forth with a bit of restraint. I have competed in ski races with broken bones (though they were only ribs, not leg bones, but that was tough enough. One race I came in 2nd, in terrible pain, so please, don't even try to talk down to me about this point) Now, I want to be perfectly clear to you, so you don't get all huffy about how I don't like Austrians. My favorite woman racers are Anna Fenninger, Lindsey Vonn, Mikaela Schiffrin, Eva Marie Brem, Tina Weirather, and Cornelia Huetter. So you can see that Austrians are among my favorites. And though I've had issues with Marcel Hirscher in the past, I have grown to appreciate and admire his presence in the World Cup, and the Championship quality he brings to the hill. But do you understand what the word "outstanding" really means? You don't think that ski racing in two distinctly different events, back to back, in one day WITH A BROKEN LEG is outstanding?! You don't think that winning one of the runs, with a broken leg is extraordinary? Then there is nothing anybody can say to you that will phase that kind of stance.
At first I thought to just ignore your remarkable comments. But in the end, I felt those comments did not deserve the respect of silence, because that silence would have been like agreement with those comments. And those were ridiculous comments, period.

Okay first of all I have to admit that especially the second part of my post was written very badly, I know that and I apologize for it.
Generally I still stick by my opinion that Lindsey kind of profited from her own crash, because I'm just 100% sure the rest of the top group would have been better if they had started earlier. However I know that it was still written anything but kindly and the post also was only written as an explanation why I was mad after her crash (please don't forget, at that point the latest news was still that she doesnt have any big injuries. I didnt know what horrible consequences her crash had at the point I wrote the "acting comment")

The second part of my comment was definitely written worse. As an explanation, I wrote it at 8:00 am while I was sitting in the bus, with my mobile phone which wants to correct every single word I write in English into a German one, which makes it pretty difficult to write. Thats why I tried to keep the text short and didnt want to give any long explanations. Besides that English is just not my native language so it sometimes gets difficult to write exactly what I mean.
Now about the post itself. What I wanted to say is that I'm generally annoyed whenever someone says someones performance is an absolute miracle (I hope thats a better word than outstanding) and a performance noone has ever seen before, because these comments are usually nonsense (Ofc it isnt a coincidence that I wrote that exactly after Vonn was in such a situation, I would lie otherwise and I'm trying to be honest). I hear comments like that a few times a year in different sports and although these performances are usually indeed outstanding (I hope thats a better use for the word) they aren't such once in a century miracles people claim they are. Once again don't forget that my comment was only meant as an explanation for a comment I wrote in a situation in which I've already heard all day long how great Vonn's super fast comeback was while the latest news still said that she didnt even have any big injuries. Now I know that Vonn's combined was probably really painful but that isnt really what my post was about anyway. There are two different aspects after a crash. The pain and the influence on the performance and I talked about the latter. People didnt say "Vonn's performance was impressive because she did it while her leg hurt" they said "it is impressive to be that fast although she was injured". I'm pretty sure her injury is a handicap but it can't be that huge otherwise she wouldnt have been the fastest in the super-g. Even you said that you got 2nd with a broken rib which was probably a very good result for you. I don't want to know how bad it hurt because I'm sure this race was very painful for you and I don't want to mistrust any of your comment about your broken rib, but you still came in 2nd. Hannes Reichelt's win in Kitzbühel was also incredible considering that he didnt even know if he can start because his back hurt so bad, but still his skiing was as good as nowhere else in the season. I hope you understand what I mean.

I know I probably just shouldnt have written this comment especially its second half and some of the things I wrote are simply false, so I want to apologize for that. But I stick by some of my statements because I just think they are right and thats nothing I could simply change because I want to.

ps: Please stop with all the statements about Austrians. I don't judge you because you like or dislike some skiers and my comments have a absolutely 0 to do with you liking Austrians or not. Besides that it would be kind of stupid to accuse you of disliking Austrians while saying that I dislike Vonn ;)

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Gigs_98 said:
Okay first of all I have to admit that especially the second part of my post was written very badly, I know that and I apologize for it.
Generally I still stick by my opinion that Lindsey kind of profited from her own crash, because I'm just 100% sure the rest of the top group would have been better if they had started earlier. However I know that it was still written anything but kindly and the post also was only written as an explanation why I was mad after her crash (please don't forget, at that point the latest news was still that she doesnt have any big injuries. I didnt know what horrible consequences her crash had at the point I wrote the "acting comment")

The second part of my comment was definitely written worse. As an explanation, I wrote it at 8:00 am while I was sitting in the bus, with my mobile phone which wants to correct every single word I write in English into a German one, which makes it pretty difficult to write. Thats why I tried to keep the text short and didnt want to give any long explanations. Besides that English is just not my native language so it sometimes gets difficult to write exactly what I mean.
Now about the post itself. What I wanted to say is that I'm generally annoyed whenever someone says someones performance is an absolute miracle (I hope thats a better word than outstanding) and a performance noone has ever seen before, because these comments are usually nonsense (Ofc it isnt a coincidence that I wrote that exactly after Vonn was in such a situation, I would lie otherwise and I'm trying to be honest). I hear comments like that a few times a year in different sports and although these performances are usually indeed outstanding (I hope thats a better use for the word) they aren't such once in a century miracles people claim they are. Once again don't forget that my comment was only meant as an explanation for a comment I wrote in a situation in which I've already heard all day long how great Vonn's super fast comeback was while the latest news still said that she didnt even have any big injuries. Now I know that Vonn's combined was probably really painful but that isnt really what my post was about anyway. There are two different aspects after a crash. The pain and the influence on the performance and I talked about the latter. People didnt say "Vonn's performance was impressive because she did it while her leg hurt" they said "it is impressive to be that fast although she was injured". I'm pretty sure her injury is a handicap but it can't be that huge otherwise she wouldnt have been the fastest in the super-g. Even you said that you got 2nd with a broken rib which was probably a very good result for you. I don't want to know how bad it hurt because I'm sure this race was very painful for you and I don't want to mistrust any of your comment about your broken rib, but you still came in 2nd. Hannes Reichelt's win in Kitzbühel was also incredible considering that he didnt even know if he can start because his back hurt so bad, but still his skiing was as good as nowhere else in the season. I hope you understand what I mean.

I know I probably just shouldnt have written this comment especially its second half and some of the things I wrote are simply false, so I want to apologize for that. But I stick by some of my statements because I just think they are right and thats nothing I could simply change because I want to.

ps: Please stop with all the statements about Austrians. I don't judge you because you like or dislike some skiers and my comments have a absolutely 0 to do with you liking Austrians or not. Besides that it would be kind of stupid to accuse you of disliking Austrians while saying that I dislike Vonn ;)
Peace, All is Good. I just want to admire excellence. "Dislike" is so unneccesary, and such a waste of our good energy. :)

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for the delay but I was very busy this weekend. Sunday I got broadsided while riding my bicycle, by a car driven by an 83 year old woman, who was staring at the rider ahead of me, and forgot to stop at the red light! S-Works RIP!
Anyway, I finally caught up with the GS in Hinterstoder, and it was great. All of the guys are stepping up their games. Especially France's Alexis Pinturault. Who took his third GS in a row. But he had to do it after Marcel Hirscher threw down the Gauntlet that Henrik Kristoffersen, smooth as he was, fell behind by just over a 10th of a second. Then Alexis took off last, with just over half a second margin to play with, and play with it he did, expanding it to over a second, as he crossed the finish line. Great race, Great Pictures from Agence Zoom
11ae9t3.jpg
Afterburners ON
16bkgfk.jpg
Marcel laying it down.....FAST
2m2ga5d.jpg
At 21 Henriks GS skiing is getting better and better
2hzgu80.jpg
The Podium. Marcel 2nd, Alexis 1st, Henrik 3rd

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Statement today by Lindsey Vonn, on facebook.
Today I am making the difficult decision to end my season and leave the World Cup circuit due to an injury I suffered last Saturday. Because I am currently leading the Overall World Cup standings, this is one of the toughest decisions of my career.
When I crashed on Saturday in Andorra, I fractured my tibial plateau. The traditional X-rays that were taken that afternoon showed a hairline fracture, but the tibial plateau appeared to be stable and did not pose significant risk to competing. So I raced on Sunday. After the Super Combined on Sunday, I went to Barcelona where more precise MRI and CT equipment was available and scans were performed on Tuesday morning. Those images showed that there was not just 1 hairline fracture, but in fact 3. And the fractures are not hairline, but instead they are significant enough that they are not sufficiently stable to permit me to safely continue skiing. Further damage any of the fragments could result in a serious surgery that would risk my future in ski racing. With the World Championships in St. Moritz next year and the Winter Olympics in South Korea the following year, I cannot take that risk.
So I have made the decision to end my season. I am very proud of what I have been able to accomplish this year: 9 World Cup victories, breaking the World Cup downhill win record, breaking the World Cup Super G podium record, and winning the most World Cup discipline titles--20--of any skier, male or female. While I am confident that I'm making the right decision, it still doesn't make this decision any easier. Thanks to everyone who supported me and stood by me through it all. Best of luck to all the World Cup competitors. I'll see you again next year. Xo LV

She's only human, an extraordinary human, but a human nonetheless. I wish her the best.

2 Giant Slaloms for the men and a slalom in Kranjska Gora this weeked:

Friday 04.03.16
Pinturault makes it 4 in a row. Schoerghofer 2nd, and Hirscher comes from 7th in first run to take 3rd. Hirscher basically wraps up GS globe, despite Alexis' late season surge.

Saturday 05.03.16
Hirscher wraps up GS globe and basically the overall globe too. Pinturault doesn't make it 5 in a row, as Hirscher beats him by half a second. Kristofferson third by over 1.5 seconds.

Sunday 06.03.16
Hirscher wins the slalom, but the young viking takes second (0.81 down) and the globe. Stefano Gross takes third, 1.11 down. Nereuther crahes. Hirscher effectively wins the overall globe, unless Kristofferson wins the next 4 of the enxt 6 races and Marcel crashes every time, or alexis wins all of the next 6.

For the women in Jansa, only a slalom: the GS is tomorrow.

Sunday 06.03.16
Shiffrin destroys the field. Hansdotter takes the globe, despite a mediocre 10th place.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Mikaela Shiffrin has skied.......The Queen is Back! Long live he Queen!
nnpgl0.jpg

Mikaela wasn't really the spoiler today, she was just doing what Mikaela does.
But Wendy Holdener did ski a bit better than Veronica Velez Zuzulova to take second place
and thus end the race for the women's slalom cup.
2s7j1ol.jpg

Zuzulova missed keeping the race for the slalom crown alive,
35lxhqa.jpg

even though Frida Hansdotter skied tentatively into 10th place and backed into the Title.
sfatte.jpg

This is the REAL Queen of Slalom. Mikaela Shiffrin. She beat 2nd place Holdener by 2.35 seconds and she topped the Title holder by 4.10 seconds

TRENDING THREADS