• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

already want a new bike...

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
I have recently struggled with the same decision, but from a reverse perspective. I have a custom titanium Lynskey bike (OK, not steel but not carbon either) and recently purchased a Cervelo R3 after a good test ride. After buying the R3, I cannot appreciate any differences between the two bikes in the hills, on the flats, in hammer fests, or during intervals. The Lynskey is slightly more comfortable and I actually chose the Lynskey over the R3 for the a tour which involved a lot of climbing. The Cervelo is a great bike, but not that different to my Lynskey to warrant buying it in the first place IMO. As others have eluded to, it may make a difference if you race. If you don't then I would stick with your Colnago and perhaps invest the money you intended for a new carbon bike into a sweet wheelset or component upgrade.

ViaPagliano said:
This is what my inner conscience wanted me to hear. :D

Thanks for the feedback - but I say enjoy the luxuries of having two bikes! The R3 looks amazing.

Just to add to my original post - I sold my R3 and, while there were some regrets about selling such a sweet bike, I am satisfied that I explored the carbon bike option and I am also glad that I no longer have two bikes with such similar function and performance. As an additional comment, I bought a cyclocross bike a couple of years ago - lots and lots of fun playing on the trails if you have some nearby. If you want to buy a new bike, then consider a 'cross just because it is so different, riding it on the trails is fun, it will add to your bike handling skills, and it provides some variety to your training week.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Also you have to be careful over the quality of carbon fibre used in bikes, especially the ones that come out of the factories in China. I have heard a few stories from people who know a lot about bikes and some of the quality leaves a lot to be desired. Also I once heard of a story of somebody desending down a steel hill (1.2km @ 12%) and he had carbon handle bars and stem and there was a hairline crack in his stem, to which he was unaware of and eventually the handlebars gave way whilst he was desending at 80km/h and which followed a very nasty crash :eek: