• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

American Slang!

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I can't stand "my bad". It sounds like something a two year old might say.

What is so complicated about the word "mistake", FFS.

We have had 'dumbing down' for a couple of decades, now we seem to want to add infantalizing.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Dude, what up bra? game is on early this year. The boys was killing it at coffee crew yesterday morn. chuckey was full tilt boogie and man i am at the level early on this season. my dog Jonny took a sick line into the turn on Alton fronting the pack at coffee crew; bro what give, you got it going on early yo. yo yo check it cuz my legs is chared like a illligit son of Merckx from the session and the cool temps. what up with that? the frosty air man? bring on the so cal warm. Prolly gonna chill at the back of old man como tomorrow. ShoAir boys are on form but a little bent on showing up the Tabs crew. the new fab crew 605 out of CDM seem to have the legs to match the shiny kit. Who was that troll chick in the mix working at the front? Chicks who don't fly off the back rule bra, even with the mutly profile. DAmn I'd powertap that. Good to see fat dude with the pretty bike clinging to the back for a change; no doubt those carbon hoops help fatty fly. wifey is shutting me down come Easter Sunday. Gotta put the time in with the famdam fosho

out

Boeing said:
Dude, what up bra? game is on early this year. The boys was killing it at coffee crew yesterday morn. chuckey was full tilt boogie and man i am at the level early on this season. my dog Jonny took a sick line into the turn on Alton fronting the pack at coffee crew; bro what give, you got it going on early yo. yo yo check it cuz my legs is chared like a illligit son of Merckx from the session and the cool temps. what up with that? the frosty air man? bring on the so cal warm. Prolly gonna chill at the back of old man como tomorrow. ShoAir boys are on form but a little bent on showing up the Tabs crew. the new fab crew 605 out of CDM seem to have the legs to match the shiny kit. Who was that troll chick in the mix working at the front? Chicks who don't fly off the back rule bra, even with the mutly profile. DAmn I'd powertap that. Good to see fat dude with the pretty bike clinging to the back for a change; no doubt those carbon hoops help fatty fly. wifey is shutting me down come Easter Sunday. Gotta put the time in with the famdam fosho

out

coffee crew...it's been a while for me. a bunch of ****ers.:D

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
rhubroma said:
It's interesting the organic nature of language itself, which tends to evolve, idomatically, based upon locality and cross-cultural interaction.
It will be interesting to see how much telecommunications can act as a linguistic glue, in the future, to close the gap between the natural dialectical and therefore slang developments.

Ah, just wait until the text-messaging generation takes control... we haven't seen anything yet!

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
krebs303 said:
Just came from the auscyclefan94 thread. What the heck is "mexican logic"

Mexican logic is what Pres. Obama used to quell racial tension. Mexican logic states that there is no hate or argument that can't be settled by drinking beer,shots,eating chips and tacos. The theory is based on the fact that nobody wants to punch or be punched with a belly full of delicious.

fatandfast said:
Mexican logic is what Pres. Obama used to quell racial tension. Mexican logic states that there is no hate or argument that can't be settled by drinking beer,shots,eating chips and tacos. The theory is based on the fact that nobody wants to punch or be punched with a belly full of delicious.

"true dat!" mas cerveza, por favor!

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Spare Tyre said:
I can't stand "my bad". It sounds like something a two year old might say.

What is so complicated about the word "mistake", FFS.

We have had 'dumbing down' for a couple of decades, now we seem to want to add infantalizing.

Word! I mean, I can't stand "my bad" either.

Part of what really annoys me about that idiotic lingo is that most of the time it's completely obvious that it is the "bad" of the moron uttering that crap.

'I know it's your "bad," schmuck. I'm way ahead of you.'

Why is it that the morons get to adapt the language?

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
buckwheat said:
Word! I mean, I can't stand "my bad" either.

Part of what really annoys me about that idiotic lingo is that most of the time it's completely obvious that it is the "bad" of the moron uttering that crap.

'I know it's your "bad," schmuck. I'm way ahead of you.'

Why is it that the morons get to adapt the language?

because sheep are easily led. i'll die before i'll stoop to using 'baby mamma' in a conversation.

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
krebs303 said:
Just came from the auscyclefan94 thread. What the heck is "mexican logic"

AusCycleFan lives in the state of Victoria, which is south of the state of New South Wales and, therefore, "south of the border", just as Mexico is south of the border with the US. I haven't heard it for years, but Victoria is occasionally referred to as "Mexico" by those living further north.

My best guess is the term "Mexican logic" plays on this, and the interstate rivalry between Vic & NSW.

Spare Tyre said:
AusCycleFan lives in the state of Victoria, which is south of the state of New South Wales and, therefore, "south of the border", just as Mexico is south of the border with the US. I haven't heard it for years, but Victoria is occasionally referred to as "Mexico" by those living further north.

My best guess is the term "Mexican logic" plays on this, and the interstate rivalry between Vic & NSW.

"Mexican logic" is a term used in the southwest of the U.S., especially Texas. I don't think it has anything to do with Australia. It is a term, like "n!gger rich" or "jewed him down," that is not very politically correct (understatement).

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Spare Tyre said:

Why wouldn't they be jealous of us when melbourne is the food, arts and sports capital of the world. We out do sydney in every way!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
"Mexican logic" is a term used in the southwest of the U.S., especially Texas. I don't think it has anything to do with Australia. It is a term, like "n!gger rich" or "jewed him down," that is not very politically correct (understatement).

he is changing to use it in an australian situation!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
NHI = No Humans Involved

Ever hear that? Typically stated by a disinterested third party when discussing a situation involving imbecilic participants on either side of a dispute.

I hear this almost every day from paramedics, nurses, doctors, police, lawyers, judges... the list is long.

I've even muttered this to myself while reading through the threads on this forum. Fits, doesn't it?

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I better not say what i think the US are the biggest...?:D (joke)

I wouldn't talk about banking being in the favour of americans because really you and your wall street bankers got everyone else into the **** with the economic downturn. You guys are still not doing that well either.

Britain, being the US's second or third largest creditor, will always provide a scapegoat (wall st.) so that its commonwealths have somebody other than the brits to blame for losing their money.

elapid said:
Forget sobriety tests. The police set up booze buses and breathalyze all drivers. If you're a younger driver and blow above zero, you're walking home and have lost your license. If you have been driving more than 3 years and blow > 0.05, you're also walking home and have lost your license. So drink-driving is also uncommon.

I didn't get this impression at all. I spent a year living over in Oz and thought the opposite - I saw lots of guys drink driving. It was definitely more the norm that say over here in the UK.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
redneck noise

The only slang that really grates on me is redneck stuff like 'give er' or 'git er done'. Makes me want to firebomb a trailer park.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but using internet lingo in daily discourse. For example saying, "OMG" if your surprised. I knew a guy in college, that would pick on people, then say, "Nah man, I'm just JK-ing you." What does that even mean? You're just just kidding? Really?

:mad: