• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Amstel Gold finish line change

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
A story says the finish line for Amstel Gold 2013 will be moved 2 km past the Cauberg, to give more riders a chance to win.

I liked the finish at the top of the Cauberg, and in general dislike too many sprint finishes. One reason the Amstel Gold has appealed to me is that a strong rider can win without having the strongest team or the best leadout.

1. Will this change bring out more sprint finishes, or is it still too close to the Cauberg to allow sprint trains to do their thing?

2. Any other opinions on whether this is a positive or a negative change?

Cheers,
GatorGene
---;==;<

GatorGene said:
A story says the finish line for Amstel Gold 2013 will be moved 2 km past the Cauberg, to give more riders a chance to win.

I liked the finish at the top of the Cauberg, and in general dislike too many sprint finishes. One reason the Amstel Gold has appealed to me is that a strong rider can win without having the strongest team or the best leadout.

1. Will this change bring out more sprint finishes, or is it still too close to the Cauberg to allow sprint trains to do their thing?

2. Any other opinions on whether this is a positive or a negative change?

Cheers,
GatorGene
---;==;<

Winner will be slightly more unpredictable which is always good, but race action will likely continue to be a matter of minutes rather than anything approaching the hour mark. Try cutting the team size to 6.

thank god they moved the finish line!!!1

AGR has become a glorified uphill sprint over the last few years, much like fleche wallone, this change hopefully bring a new and better race dynamic to the race.

also have you ever actually watched AGR? no way in hell will a sprinter ever makes it to the finishing line with the favourites on the AGR.

Parrulo said:

AGR has become a glorified uphill sprint over the last few years, much like fleche wallone, this change hopefully bring a new and better race dynamic to the race.

also have you ever actually watched AGR? no way in hell will a sprinter ever makes it to the finishing line with the favourites on the AGR.

I already miss Freire :eek:

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Parrulo said:

That depends if you consider Degenkolb, EBH or Sagan sprinters. Who have won mass sprints plenty.

Both of them 3 can make it I'd say. It really depends what form they will have coming of out cobbled classics.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I doubt it will change that much, maybe the more sprinter type guys like Sagan or EBH will have a better chance against the puncheur types like Gilbert or Purito. If a rider can be very strong on the Cauberg though, they should be able to make it the remaining 2 km. Gilbert demonstrated this at worlds.

Overall I think it's a good idea though, it could definitely inspire more attacks. And maybe we'll get some counter attacks if a select group comes over the Cauberg together.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I liked the Cauberg finish, sure another uphill finish but the race was that all along. The finish maybe moved another 2K but they are still going up the Cauberg (right?) so it will still be a factor and its not like Cav is now going to win it.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
ElChingon said:
I liked the Cauberg finish, sure another uphill finish but the race was that all along. The finish maybe moved another 2K but they are still going up the Cauberg (right?) so it will still be a factor and its not like Cav is now going to win it.

Basically same as Worlds.. So yeah :D

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
hfer07 said:
Good decision IMO-but I think the race should get way more selective before the Cauberg by adding either more hills or direct it through more technical roads.

The race will be more selective with less hills. Currently, every attack before Keutenberg is suicide. The sheer number of climbs kills any initiative. No race favourite or outsider takes the risk of trying a surprise move.

The new Tour of Flanders has the same problem IMO. This year an elite group with Boonen, Pozzato, Ballan and Sagan broke away at 35km to go. No way the peloton would catch them in the traditional Tour of Flanders. But this year it happened as the big guns where relying on the last ascent of the Kwaremont & Paterberg to make the difference.

As a race organiser you have to make sure the riders are willing to make the race. This will automatically result in a more selective and attractive race.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
I'd like to see the race go back to how it was before 2003 when it finished in Maastricht. It used to produce a wide variety of winners but since it has finished at the top of the Cauberg it has just felt like a seond rate Fleche Wallonne to me.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Oscar Friere may now regret retiring after this course change. I personally prefer Amstel finishing on top of the hill. The hill sprint aspect of it and people surviving from a long range attack will die completely if you finish the race a couple of km's after the top of the climb.

Panda Claws said:
I do not know about Sagan. Right now he still seems a level beneath Gilbert and perhaps even Rodriguez on these hills.

Yes, I understand he has potential.
Tell me when Gilbert can do this:

270-PIC264309942.jpg

319-Sagan_Chieti.jpg

TRENDING THREADS