• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

An open letter to the peloton

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I am pulling for Menchov. But only because I think that with the TdF routes of late, the joke of a WRC course, and the Olympic road race course that the powers that be want an Evans or Wiggins win. Making the sport global is more than just putting races outside of continental Europe. The sport can gobble up whole countries be creating a champion. Wiggins and Cav success seem almost preplanned. It would be funny to see Menchov upset the design.
Plus one. For the same reason, I was routing for Sanchez until today

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'd like to say I'd email it to the teams, but in all honesty, I believe the contempt shown by Wiggins today is a pervasive attitude amongst the peloton judging by the sheer quantity of riders + staff that flocked to social media to exclaim their support for him. As a result, I honestly think that any effort I make to actually try and elicit a response from them would be likely met with a delete or some sort of disdain.

I think pro cycling is about as far removed from the ordinary 'supporter' (perhaps spectator is a better word) as is possible - which is ironic given that no other spectator sport in the world lets you as close to the actual athletes partaking in it. It's disappointing that the interaction is so limited that we're forced to use social media to ask questions the media will not, for fear of losing their access. I've noticed some of you passing the link around on twitter, so I'm glad to know my sentiments truly do represent a large cross section of interested observers.

Thanks again.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
This anonymity argument is absurd. Hiding behind screennames? Pfff.

See, Mike's name was already out there, so his signing this post might mean something. But for the majority of us, if we don't reveal our names it's because they don't mean jack. We're normal people. We're the common fan - the 99%, if you will :D

We use screennames because that's how the internet works, not because we don't have the balls to ask directly, as JV can certainly tell. We could all reveal our names, and for the vast majority of us it would make no difference.

Still, Wiggo, if it means that much to you: my name is Roberto Ochoa, and you're a c***.

Saw you posting on the FB page for cyclingnews. Keep it up dude, if only one person sprouting some of the nonsense that was on display there questions the garbage they've been fed then one more person isn't conned. Most of these guys, the pros doping and enforcing their BS without firstly earning respect by being open, transparent and not opaque are nothing more than cheap hustlers. Players gonna play and this is their market. Sad thing is the best example they have to follow of success is LA. It's actually sad what they've allowed themselves to become.

@Cavalier. Great post. Almost guaranteed that Wiggins and co are to gutless to tweet a link to that. Hope they all fail and are caught.

Benotti69 said:
No you wouldn't, as a member of the sport riding clean and having witnessed 1st hand dopers winning and then having results taken away you would completely understand and emphasise with fans of the sport.

You wouldn't attack and insult fans like those who have doped and then been caught for it!

Where to start... Again I agree With the general sentiments expressed here but in my experience of high performance sport it doesn't always work like that. It is perfectly possible that Wiggins has had no 'first hand' experience of doping - he and Brailsford come from a different system than other members of the pro peloton.

However if he is as dirty as others then yes he is a hypocrit... But if he is clean (and only he knows that) then in my opinion he is not a hypocrit, less deserving of criticism and in my opinion his outburst is more justified.

Not sure this is helping the thread - so happy to let it go.

T

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Cavalier said:
Thanks for the responses everyone. I'd like to say I'd email it to the teams, but in all honesty, I believe the contempt shown by Wiggins today is a pervasive attitude amongst the peloton judging by the sheer quantity of riders + staff that flocked to social media to exclaim their support for him. As a result, I honestly think that any effort I make to actually try and elicit a response from them would be likely met with a delete or some sort of disdain.

I think pro cycling is about as far removed from the ordinary 'supporter' (perhaps spectator is a better word) as is possible - which is ironic given that no other spectator sport in the world lets you as close to the actual athletes partaking in it. It's disappointing that the interaction is so limited that we're forced to use social media to ask questions the media will not, for fear of losing their access. I've noticed some of you passing the link around on twitter, so I'm glad to know my sentiments truly do represent a large cross section of interested observers.

Thanks again.
Not surprised to see that 'World Champion' Mark Cavendish has tweeted his full support for Wiggin's outburst and contempt to fans. Very sad to see the reaction of the peleton. Has anyone seen/heard a rider speak out against Wiggins's outburst or are they too frightened to stand up and be counted.

Normandy said:
Not surprised to see that 'World Champion' Mark Cavendish has tweeted his full support for Wiggin's outburst and contempt to fans. Very sad to see the reaction of the peleton. Has anyone seen/heard a rider speak out against Wiggins's outburst or are they too frightened to stand up and be counted.

They are all, probably even Rogers, patting him on the back and telling him how the fans suspicions have insulted their dignities.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I have my suspicions about some of the riders in Sky as do others. I think it is also fair to have suspicions after what has happened in the sport thus far.

A lot of people/fans seem to be expressing "certainties" though as opposed to "suspicions", be honest with yourself here, even if you don't mean it to be like this it comes across as so !

Wiggins outburst I imagine was reacting to the people/fans/twitter with the type of attitude displayed in this thread, i.e people who in their mind who are convinced Sky are cheating. Not to people with suspicions. I guess you can debate this, I don't really know but thats what I think.

If he's not doping that's an absolutely justified response ! I would be super ****ed too in his position. Here's an exercise: pretend you are a clean Bradley Wiggins, you're on stage 9 of the 2012 TDF and then read this thread (and the countless others) ... actually re-read it from his veiw ... then how do you feel ?

That of course is if he is NOT doping ! I don't know if he is or not, maybe you do ... but I don't know it ...

It's not only dopers that make me sad about cycling but some fans too :(

deValtos said:
I have my suspicions about some of the riders in Sky as do others. I think it is also fair to have suspicions after what has happened in the sport thus far.

A lot of people/fans seem to be expressing "certainties" though as opposed to "suspicions", be honest with yourself here, even if you don't mean it to be like this it comes across as so !

Wiggins outburst I imagine was reacting to the people/fans/twitter with the type of attitude displayed in this thread, i.e people who in their mind who are convinced Sky are cheating. Not to people with suspicions. I guess you can debate this, I don't really know but thats what I think.

If he's not doping that's an absolutely justified response ! I would be super ****ed too in his position. Here's an exercise: pretend you are a clean Bradley Wiggins, you're on stage 9 of the 2012 TDF and then read this thread (and the countless others) ... actually re-read it from his veiw ... then how do you feel ?

That of course is if he is NOT doping ! I don't know if he is or not, maybe you do ... but I don't know it ...

It's not only dopers that make me sad about cycling but some fans too :(

+1

I agree.

T

Given the moment, the difficult economic situation for the mere mortals, the current USADA case and what any informed fan knows has been going on in the sport for decades: Bradley, have you lost your mind?

Real people struggling to make ends meet each month, who have no chance at making a 16th of what pro athletes make, who have watched how you athletes for years and years on end have brazenly sustained the omertà and by cunning enhanced your performances: at the very least, today, the bearer of the Yellow Jersey should measure his words, should at the bear minimum demonstrate a sensitivity to righteously indignant people who should have turned their backs on you ****s for years, however, continue to buy your sponsors' products. It just goes to show you how these privileged sons of *****es have become so full of themselves, that in a momment like this they believe they should be gazed upon with reverence. When most workers struggle to survive or see their jobs sacrificed at the altar of neoliberal financial capitalism. Other than not knowing how to work for something!

Wiggins is a clear demonstration of how many pros are simply arrogant little ****** bags. And that goes for those in the clan who have fully supported his sentiments. If I continue to watch this Tour, it will only be to see him loose. If his win is assured, I won't be watching any more.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Kudos to the OP, nice post. Most of us here wouldn't bother, assuming we'd be talking to a brick wall.

Well I'm a bit less cynical than many around here and I wouldn't be surprised if Sky were clean. However I'll reserve my judgement as it is early days yet and we all know that they were in super form at the Dauphine, we'll see how they hold up.

Wiggins may be justified in his anger, although he'd be well advised to focus his mind on more important matters than getting his panties in a twist over some scuttlebut on the interwebs. His remarks were ill considered: he seems to have attended the Pat McQuaid school of media management. His banging on about Armstrong doesn't endear him to anyone either so he's his own worst enemy in that regard.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Bravo, Cavalier, for penning the letter. Wiggins, Armstrong,....any other other "pro" cyclist who does not beg for the fans forgiveness due to the doping transgressions of their colleagues/predecessors can go to h@ll. We make the sport a career option for them. If the bike racing game closed shop tomorrow we still have our crafts/skills/education to earn a living. **** off, Wiggo, you indignant clown.

rhubroma said:
Given the moment, the difficult economic situation for the mere mortals, the current USADA case and what any informed fan knows has been going on in the sport for decades: Bradley, have you lost your mind?

Real people struggling to make ends meet each month, who have no chance at making a 16th of what pro athletes make, who have watched how you athletes for years and years on end have brazenly sustained the omertà and by cunning enhanced your performances: at the very least, today, the bearer of the Yellow Jersey should measure his words, should at the very least demonstrate a sensitivity to righteously indignant people who should have turned their backs on you ****s for years, however, continue to buy your sponsors' products. It just goes to show you how these privileged sons of *****es have become so full of themselves, that in a momment like this they believe they should be gazed upon with reverence. When most workers struggle to survive or see their jobs sacrificed at the altar of neoliberal financial capitalism. Other than not knowing how to work for something!

Wiggins is a clear demonstration of how many pros are simply arrogant little ****** bags. And that goes for those in the clan who have fully supported his sentiments.

rhubroma you always strike an eloquent and sensible response. Nicely put.

Absolutely no respect at all for the yellow jersey.

SaxonUK said:
You had me until you called him a hipster...

Not a hipster, a hipster doofus.

kramer.jpg

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Walkman said:
Explain Porte. The guy could barley outclimb Cav last year and now he is dropping half of the GC contenders and known dopers...

Not saying anything with this post, but dammit we as a fans have a right to be somewhat suspicious considering the history within cycling.

Barely outclimb Cav? What bike races do you watch? Did you miss him riding for Contador in the Giro in 2011? His long time in pink, 7th overall and the young rider's jersey at the Giro in 2010? Won a stage of the baby giro in 2009? 4th and 7th at TT worlds? You're not aware that TTers can normally climb pretty well when they turn their attention to it and lose a little weight?

But you think he can't ride because you turn on OLN for half an hour in July and see him tired out after riding the Giro when it wasn't even planned for him?

July only fans: idiots.

Oh, and on-topic: Wiggo's a tool, for sure. Go Cadel.

BroDeal said:
They are all, probably even Rogers, patting him on the back and telling him how the fans suspicions have insulted their dignities.

You're right... they probably are patting him on the back, and so they should be.

So now we all know what it feels like to have a GT leader use a bully pulpit to go on record and effectively "***** Slap" an entire blogisphere of anonymous fans who have no reservations against posting the most incendiary comments and suspicions as if they are accepted fact, when they are not. I doubt these guys pay any real attention to such a fringe minority of the cycling fan base. But we'd all do well to remember that these guys compete against each other. They don't perform for our amusement. We don't pay their collective salaries with our ticket purchases, and I am sure that they don't really give a sh!t what the collective wisdom of a cycling forum has to offer.

Watch... or don't watch. Complain all you want. Postulate mindless conspiracies and hurl insults to your hearts content. Just don't be such pu$$ies when someone like Wiggins calls us on it. They don't owe us Jack Squat. They don't have to worry if we're going to watch, because... who are we kidding?

Hey... do you think they have a websight where they get to b!tch about dipsh!t chat room fans... or do they have better things to do?

TRENDING THREADS