• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

An open letter to the peloton

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Bradley my dear.I was always told that if you use swearwords it's because you've run out of arguments.

One thing you can't argue is our right to think what we please.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
No you wouldn't, as a member of the sport riding clean and having witnessed 1st hand dopers winning and then having results taken away you would completely understand and emphasise with fans of the sport.

You wouldn't attack and insult fans like those who have doped and then been caught for it!

well, a rider wouldn't necessarily attack questioning fans if he were doped up either, I assume, UNLESS...
unless the rider thinks he's somehow entitled to dope...i.e. that he genuinely believes that it is somehow the common, regular, responsible, hell, perhaps even the healthy thing to do.
I can imagine teamdoctors shooting up their riders while imprinting/indoctrinating them with such arguments.

+1 to the OP.

Bradley Wiggins has made me want the "Don't touch me!" man to succeed.

He has even made me pay him more attention than I am paying to Lance, when Lance is about to finally get cooked.

In other words, he has brought cycling to its lowest of all-time lows.

Dave.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
VeloFidelis said:
And who would argue that? It seems both ours and Mr Wiggins rights are being well exercised.
I don't really understand your argument. No-one disputes Mr Wiggins rights to respond to his critics although I note that if he actually posted his comments here they would consist of a string of asterisks. Really his rant was just childish and unprofessional in the context of a press conference.

sniper said:
well, a rider wouldn't necessarily attack questioning fans if he were doped up either, I assume, UNLESS...
unless the rider thinks he's somehow entitled to dope...i.e. that he genuinely believes that it is somehow the common, regular, responsible, hell, perhaps even the healthy thing to do.
I can imagine teamdoctors shooting up their riders while imprinting/indoctrinating them with such arguments.

In all honesty I think the amateur psychological analysis doesn't help the cause. What we should be calling for is simply a greater voice from participants, a more transparent sport where data isn't hidden or made difficult to obtain and, frankly, a new governing body/organisation.

Sometimes it seems like professionalism just isn't a word that cycling takes seriously in all it's facets. And yet hardly anyone speaks up about it. People within cycling need to be the catalyst for change, not be indifferent and accepting of the status quo - on any topic - and certainly not let abuse be an acceptable response to people's frustration. Riders may be saying "well done" today about Wiggins, but they couldn't be further away from the common spectator right now, and it's clearly not something they understand or care enough to do something about.

May 26, 2011
Visit site
+1 to this post.

very disheartening to hear this from potty mouth.

Has anyone passed this onto Sky Pro Cycling - or indeed Sky Comms / PR in the UK?

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Normandy said:
Not surprised to see that 'World Champion' Mark Cavendish has tweeted his full support for Wiggin's outburst and contempt to fans. Very sad to see the reaction of the peleton. Has anyone seen/heard a rider speak out against Wiggins's outburst or are they too frightened to stand up and be counted.

That doesnt surprise me either. They cant be that stupid that they dont know what went on. The contempt with which both Wiggins and Cav hold the fans is deplorable. The governing body and cyclings record on cheats is why the questions are asked today. Its why people are suspicious of the upper echelons of cycling.
Doping has not gone away(Galimzyanov) and these guys know it. While Wiggins and Cav should not be happy about the allegations and suspicion they should and are clever enough to understand why people would be suspicious. Slamming fans and berating them isnt the answer. Understanding and sending out an anti doping message would be the reaction I would have liked, not a Lance like offensive against those that watched and were cheated before.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
after so many poor speaking occasions, when wiggins opens his mouth, i stopped listening long ago...

really, do people seriously expect him to suddenly start connecting his mouth and brain when he failed to do so in the past ?

as to whether his physical performance is chemically enhanced i don't know.

what i do know his MENTAL performance does NEED some chemical enhancement and it is obvious...

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Wiggins' anti-doping stance

I haven't followed Wiggins' career like others have, and I don't know him personnally.

What makes me think, is I read everywhere Sky is definitely "anti-doping" and in favour of a clean sport, but I still haven't found any link to describe how they maintain that stance!

As for Wiggins, please read again what he said about doping, bio passport, Lance and Floyd in January 2011.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wiggins-calls-for-biological-passport-data-to-be-made-public

To me someone who's anti-doping says: "I hate dopers, because they streal victories from clean riders!"

What I hear/read instead from him, is: "Lance is innocent till proven guilty." "Landis has lied before, so he's probably lying again."

Last thing: about Moreni, his partner at Cofidis in 2007, whose positive forced the whole team (inckuding Wiggins) to retire from the Tour. A lot of commentators use Wiggins' words to "prove" his anti-doping attitude. I re-read what he said (Metro.co.uk, 2007):

"Wiggins, a fierce anti-doping advocate who was desperate to complete the race, said: 'It is completely gutting to have to quit the Tour, but everyone knows where I stand on doping.

'It's pure stupidity on the part of Moreni. I don't know how he can have slipped through the net.

'That is the way it goes. It's just unfortunate. When you get a team of 26 riders there may always be one idiot.'

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/extra/58772-wiggins-slams-stupidity-of-cheats

So now, how is this meant?

1) "You're an *******, because you cheat, and I hate dopers?"
or
2) "What stupid idiot. How can you get caught? Because of you, I'm out of the Tour."

I'm not saying Wiggins is a doper, I'm just saying doubts around his and his team's performance are justified, because until now they haven't done nor said anything different than Festina, Once or US Postal before!

May 23, 2010
Visit site
noddy69 said:
Wiggins and Cav are clever enough to understand why people would be suspicious.

What makes you think for one second those two are in anyway intelligent?

Is it Wiggins' obvious admiration for the classics from when he said, 'Shall I compare thee to a $#*% with %#$! @!$##'?

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
As long as the UCI is in any way involved in doping testing and sanctioning I am going to assume that most of the riders are doped.

First, I'm british and I'm a sky sceptic. But I want to believe in them and I'll continue to do so until I have good solid reasons to do otherwise. To talk of this pushing cycling lower than ever before is way over the top.

What this mainly shows is that Wiggins, when put under media pressure, can't handle it well at all. He's made himself look a right c*** and thats probably because, underneath it all, he is a right c***.

That all being said, apart from him being successful and some cringeworthy amatuer psychobabble, there's still nothing on him at all. Winning things is NOT evidence of cheating. A lot of cheaters wins and a lot of winners cheat. But not all.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
180mmCrank said:
Where to start... Again I agree With the general sentiments expressed here but in my experience of high performance sport it doesn't always work like that. It is perfectly possible that Wiggins has had no 'first hand' experience of doping - he and Brailsford come from a different system than other members of the pro peloton.

However if he is as dirty as others then yes he is a hypocrit... But if he is clean (and only he knows that) then in my opinion he is not a hypocrit, less deserving of criticism and in my opinion his outburst is more justified.

Not sure this is helping the thread - so happy to let it go.

T

David Millar suggested that the doping at cofidis was team led. Wiggins rode for cofidis.I am sure he has seen it first hand there. It was not on the scale of USPS, but i am sure he saw stuff.

Cavalier:

I would send the letter, especially to the Anglo teams. It cannot hurt and i for one would be very interested to see if any tried to respond or just sent out a standard reply.

hrotha said:
Speaking of which, has this actually hit the twittersphere, or have the ****ers there been too lazy to tweet the link? Any reactions?

It has - my thanks go to UCI_overlord for getting the ball rolling on that. Spread pretty quickly from that point.

Not expecting any reactions - Brailsford's was almost exactly what I thought would be the norm.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
......it smacks of cowardice

Brailsford knows all about cowardice as he legged it after Millar got busted by the French cops.

What will be on offer at the the seminar. Science, that's what. trying to blind people with it. I hope Ashenden or someone similar goes.

TRENDING THREADS