• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

Andre Cardoso positive for EPO

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

search said:
fmk_RoI said:
Tim Booth said:
GuyIncognito said:
I'm guessing the B sample really did come back negative and the UCI are panicking, not knowing what to do.

I don't see another explanation for the delay
When it takes this long to hear from the UCI it usually results in a statement that the B sample result was inconclusive and the B sample will be re-tested (at another lab of their choosing) and that (surprise, surprise) the B sample is also positive.
Such is life, André
Could you provide recent examples of this? TIA.
there was some confusion about Rabottini's b-sample back then. An early press report said that it was sent to Lausanne, but in the end the result came back from Cologne - so either the report was wrong, or the test in Lausanne didn't deliver the desired result
The way the Pellizotti & Rabottini cases were handled ain't got nothing to do with justice. Not that I believe both ain't no dopers, but if the prosecutor can't show up valid evidence they're unguilty on all charges. You can't just make up facts and stretch law to convinct them. That's not how justice works. Rasmussen never got fairly sentenced based on any plausible law & order as well.

Jun 27, 2013

fmk_RoI said:
carolina said:
There were rumors about the B sample being negative, but nothing was officially confirmed.
There were rumours that the anti-Christ would be walking among us by now, but nothing has been officially confirmed.
He's turned to rowing now

Apr 20, 2016
What's up with this? Why does it take so long to test the "B" sample and proceed with a CAS hearing? It seems like it was ages ago that the announcement was made of the positive test. Any idea if it was micro-doses or therapeutic amounts of rEPO that were detected in the samples? Also, any idea if his ABP was flagged and consequently he was target tested? (we never seem to get any of the good details on these doping cases anymore).

This would be a big one, right? Maybe career ending? I'm assuming a nasty 4 yr ban unless there's evidence presented to support a tainted supplement, spiked water bottle, contaminated IV drip, etc. Lol.

The phrasing in the article is odd. I had assumed that an EPO test gave a binary present/not present result, but this sounds like there was some kind of ambiguity which sounds more like the kind of thing that can arise in a blood passport case or in a test for substances where the quantity rather than presence of a substance is at issue.

Jun 27, 2013
Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
The phrasing in the article is odd. I had assumed that an EPO test gave a binary present/not present result, but this sounds like there was some kind of ambiguity which sounds more like the kind of thing that can arise in a blood passport case or in a test for substances where the quantity rather than presence of a substance is at issue.
An EPO test results in bands of different shades.

Here's what it looks like

The band on the left is a negative test. The other two bands are positives. Cardoso's test apparently was somewhere in between.

GuyIncognito said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
An EPO test results in bands of different shades.

Here's what it looks like

The band on the left is a negative test. The other two bands are positives. Cardoso's test apparently was somewhere in between.
Thanks for that.

iosonofuturista said:
LaFlorecita said:
Case will now go to CAS as the Portuguese cycling federation still demand a ban.
The Portuguese newspaper article makes no mention to the Portuguese federation.

Its the CADS and LADS http://www.uci.ch/clean-sport/anti-doping/ both from the UCI itself who are requesting the suspension to be maintained.
Sorry about that, I hadn't seen those abbrevations before so assumed they were Portuguese.

It is, but simultaneously it's quite convenient timing that he elects to give up on the appeal process right now. Either the Froome decision has highlighted to him that his only hope is fighting with enough money to take it to the system, money that he doesn't have, or he has been considering this for a while but the public reaction to the Froome case and its serious implications left him in the position where he could back down and still save face, as the little guy trying to fight his corner in the face of a machine that is being perceived as one rule for the rich and one for the poor.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts