• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

Andre Cardoso positive for EPO

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
This exact situation is described by Vaughters and Ross Tucker last few days. It won't have anything to do with the size of Cardoso's wallet if he gets off or not on this, as it's a lab and WADA review process not legal defence process required. If the lab says the B sample ATFd for EPO but the A sample is already an AAF for EPO, there's not much lawyers can do unless they prove the ATF and AAF lab process is flawed and there is no EPO in the samples. You can't fight good science with good lawyers on this in my opinion. I guess they could fight the rules that an AAF + ATF shouldn't be considered an ADRV, but that would be fighting the rules with something else, not the science, so unlikely.
 
I can't see how he could ever have fought this legally. His A sample will always have confirmed recombinant EPO in it. The B Sample ATF'd which means it has it too, but is not leaning enough into what was seen in the A sample and although doesn't happen often, he's certainly not the first this has happened to. I don't think if Froome had an AAF and ATF, even his money couldn't overturn WADA. That would need expert witnesses to basically say the EPO test not only doesn;t work, but can find recombinant EPO that isn't there as a false positive? Seems highly unlikely that could ever be fought legally to me?
 
This case is the failure of the rider's professional association - Surely a well run, well organised and well funded association would have the resources to support Cardoso's legal fees - Riders should do better to support other riders.
 
Well, Four-year ban.

As with similar cases in the past, the period of ineligibility already served is likely to be taken into account, meaning his four-year ban would be backdated to start from that date and thus run to July 2021.
See, this is one of the cases where a backdated ban actually makes sense, since he actually was sidelined (essentially banned, though the word was different).
 
Re:

RedheadDane said:
Well, Four-year ban.

As with similar cases in the past, the period of ineligibility already served is likely to be taken into account, meaning his four-year ban would be backdated to start from that date and thus run to July 2021.
See, this is one of the cases where a backdated ban actually makes sense, since he actually was sidelined (essentially banned, though the word was different).
The words are "provisionally suspended."
 
I know what the word(s) is. My point was that he was unable to ride during the 16-month period, therefore his ban should obviously be backdated, otherwise he wouldn't have been given a four-year ban, he'd have been given a five-year-and-four-months ban.
 
Re:

RedheadDane said:
I know what the word(s) is. My point was that he was unable to ride during the 16-month period, therefore his ban should obviously be backdated, otherwise he wouldn't have been given a four-year ban, he'd have been given a five-year-and-four-months ban.
Given this is what the rules clearly state, you are merely stating the bleeding obvious.
 
This is a complete joke..cycling unions,federations..association..riders just now are being punished for offenses committed in 2017?..joke..teams folding so paying riders..pro bike racers from all over the world needing to travel to a specific country to vote in an election?
No wonder the sport can't get any traction a TV coverage or sponsors..everyone has to spend equal time and money saying sorry for praising and supporting doped riders..Cycling News w what I expect is not an unlimited budget spent it's time and money interviewing Floyd Landis..and what did they interview him about? Yep..selling dope in remote Colorado..and could there be more? Sure Landis plans to use dope sales proceeds to sponsor a cycling team..
If the Armstrong era didn't get proficient procedures in place to catch and punish drug users the sport is doomed..from Froome to Cardoza..Wiggins and Gianni Bugno this is a complete cluster phuck..for cycling management and infrastructure.
Just now maybe resolving Operation Puerta...a rainbow colors on one of the suspects?
Come on cycling fans demand better
 
Re: Re:

fmk_RoI said:
RedheadDane said:
I know what the word(s) is. My point was that he was unable to ride during the 16-month period, therefore his ban should obviously be backdated, otherwise he wouldn't have been given a four-year ban, he'd have been given a five-year-and-four-months ban.
Given this is what the rules clearly state, you are merely stating the bleeding obvious.
In that case, you're doing even less than that.
 
Early positives using the EPO test were thrown out by CAS after the B samples failed to support the A:
"If the test results of the B sample have not been measured using the same standards as in the A sample, the A sample is not confirmed, rather a new analysis has been carried out pursuant to a different method of evaluation."
deets
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS