• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Andreas Kloden's Final Bid For Another Coveted Top 10 Tour Finish, 'Official' Thread

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Hopefully this explains the horrible 141st placing at over 5 minutes back:

“I am suffering but this is logical,” offered the former German champion. “I was sick after Paris-Nice. I had a fever and then later stomach problems. I had to miss Critérium International because of that. So I miss racing in my legs. País Vasco will be hard for me but very useful too.”

Useful for what?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
gregrowlerson said:
Hopefully this explains the horrible 141st placing at over 5 minutes back:

“I am suffering but this is logical,” offered the former German champion. “I was sick after Paris-Nice. I had a fever and then later stomach problems. I had to miss Critérium International because of that. So I miss racing in my legs. País Vasco will be hard for me but very useful too.”

Useful for what?

Didn't know he was sick. Oh well, he's getting old, so will take a while before he has decent shape. Might be the year too much for him.

I guess he's riding Romandie or something?

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Didn't know he was sick. Oh well, he's getting old, so will take a while before he has decent shape. Might be the year too much for him.

I guess he's riding Romandie or something?

Or he might be just delaying his peak form for the Tour. He had probably hoped to do well here but his sickness prevented it. Now he is probably focusing on the Tour with all of the TT kilometers in it he may have a chance.

Much more encouraging performance from Andreas today with 33rd at 1:11; much closer to the pointy end than the autobus on this occassion. I'm predicting a top ten in tonights time trial and better results to come by the time Romandie arrives.

Strange that RSNT have been pretty useless full stop at Pais Vasco except for Horner. Schleck and Monfort haven't gone as well as I thought they would. Looks like Sanchez or Martin for the overall. I'll go with the Spaniard having just 7 seconds to spare.

I just discovered an extended version of Kloden's interview after stage 1 of Pais Vasco. And it is very revealing. See below:

The 36-year-old is currently suffering from an illness, which is the main reason behind his dipping performance at the season.

He has not registered any wins in the year and is optimistic to open his winning account at the Tour of Basque Country.

He noted, “I am suffering, but this is logical. I was sick after Paris-Nice. I had a fever and then later stomach problems”.

“I had to miss Criterium International because of that. So I miss racing in my legs. Pais Vasco will be hard for me but very useful, too”.

“I figured it was a good moment to try something. One of my goals this season is the Giro d’Italia, so step by step I think I am getting there”.

“After Catalunya I worked really hard. Now I am in better shape. I can see that,” he concluded.

Go Klodi! Be pink as a pig :D

Nikoloz said:

I already face palmed myself in the Giro thread :D

Still, he may ride it. He did definitely say in January that he was interested in it (there is an actual short interview of him online), and why would he ride this 3 day race if he was just preparing for the Tour? I would think that he would just be off putting in training miles, seeing as he has little race form. So Romandie, and if he goes okay there, the Giro, are possibilities for Klodi.

gregrowlerson said:
I already face palmed myself in the Giro thread :D

Still, he may ride it. He did definitely say in January that he was interested in it (there is an actual short interview of him online), and why would he ride this 3 day race if he was just preparing for the Tour? I would think that he would just be off putting in training miles, seeing as he has little race form. So Romandie, and if he goes okay there, the Giro, are possibilities for Klodi.

there is also another reason for my sadness...
In May I have to go to army for 18 days...
last year I missed half of giro...
)-:

i don't want to miss klodi winning Giro

(-:

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
gregrowlerson said:
Best Wishes with your army stuff Nikoloz.

Today Klodi finished with the bunch. Hope for two more encouraging performances in the coming days. I wonder also if he will ride Trentino?

Maybe not. Those climbs are scary!

He already abandoned ;) Was in the break but abandoned due to cold I think

TRENDING THREADS