• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Andreas Kloden's Final Bid For Another Coveted Top 10 Tour Finish, 'Official' Thread

I am a bit of a Klodi fan boy.

Not to the levels of ACF with Cadel though. ;)

It seems likely that this season will be Andreas' last - at least his last chance to get some decent results. This has always mostly meant at The Tour for him.

Last years 14th place finish was disappointing and suggested that age has now caught up with him (after his strong ride in '09). But he did improve a bit in the mountains as The Tour went on and didn't totally disgrace himself up the Tourmalet. Also, he didn't have a great start to the race (and who knows how much that effects an individual riders performance from then on morale and preparation wise - though that sort of discussion could also relate to The Clinic), what with the outrageous situation when Cancerella called a holt to proceedings when Klodi was lucky enough to be in a good situation (in the lead pack, with gaps to the main favourites such as Contador and the Schlecks) - as was Evans actually. Then came the cobblestones which didn't go as well for Kloden as he'd hoped, and then his Tour was effectively over when he cracked on the first mountains stage - which was only medium mountains. Poor form or not, that particular stage was definitely a BAD day.

But with many of the top GC riders focusing on The Giro in 2011, and with Kloden potentially having a chance to lead Radioshack, there may be scope for a return to the top 10, even top 5, and as a dreaming fan top 3. :)

This thread will discuss Kloden's form throughout the season in the lead up to The Tour. In the current 5 day stage race in Spain his form has been encouraging. I am interested to see how he performs in the ITT. To be a chance of a great result at the TDF he needs to get back to being a serious ITT (even though there are not many ITT kms). I would like to see him challenging Contador and the others tonight, and maybe get close to the overall victory. From what I've read, Andreas has been training extra hard and early in his preparations for 2011, so perhaps he is aiming at some top results in Feb/March, before backing off and peaking again in July.

I like the first week of this years TDF for Andreas to start well and build up some confidence. The stage 2 TTT is going to be crucial. Whilst not the strongest group in the mountains, Radioshack could be strong in the TTT. And to get just 30 seconds on other Top 10 GC hopefulls would be great for morale.

Stage 4 should be interesting too. The uphill finish is only 2 kms, but averages 6.9% gradient with sections as high as 15%. This will be a stage to watch and should ensure that the first week isn't too boring (the first stage also finishes on a short uphill).

Stage 8 is another test before the Stage 12 trek to Luz-Ardiden. This stage will probably narrow down the number of podium contenders to seven or eight. Then Stage 14 to Plait-de-Beille will be even harder.

Historically Kloden has preferred pretty tough mountain stages, but not THE toughest. He needs at least some high mountains in a GT to separate himself from the pure ITT's. And this years Tour (as I'm sure all of The Giro fans on this forum will agree :D) has tough mountains, but not too many really hellish mountain stages. The most concerning for him (if he's still in with a chance at a good GC result) will be Stage 18, a stage with a profile that even Giro fans will offer some grudging respect to. I can easily see Kloden losing 4-5 minutes there if it is raced hard all the way and he no longer has the legs.

This thread post is pretty much just a cycling **** over Andreas!

But realistically, he can't match the Schelcks nor Basso this year. Among possibly others. But luck can play a part, and if the cycling Gods are on Klodi's side then a top 5 finish is somewhat realistic.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
As Kwibus mentioned, RadioShack will probably focus on Jani or even Levi (US rider, US sponsor - who the heck is Jani for potential or existing US shack customers), which is a pity for Klödi. And therefore, he will spend his energy and power to help. As we have learned, in the hog's team, there has been usually one clear leader and all the others have devote themselves entirely to that rider, as long as he has a chance to stay on the podium.

I will never ever understand, why Hilde has never joined a team where he was the clear leader going into the Tour. He has (had?) the potential to win it, but it is his mind that was not eager or strong enough to believe in it and subordinate everything in order to achieve it. Maybe he is afraid of the pressure? For me, a great rider (full like all others - sorry clinic material) who could have achieved much more with a different attitude and at other teams.

Maybe the Tour de Suisse 2011 at least as a small token of appreciation?

(Not to divert but with regard to Jani: REMEMBER DAUPHINÉ STAGE TO ALPE D'HUEZ 2010 VS DOPADOR??!! - don't underestimate the guy)

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
la.margna said:
As Kwibus mentioned, RadioShack will probably focus on Jani or even Levi (US rider, US sponsor - who the heck is Jani for potential or existing US shack customers), which is a pity for Klödi. And therefore, he will spend his energy and power to help. As we have learned, in the hog's team, there has been usually one clear leader and all the others have devote themselves entirely to that rider, as long as he has a chance to stay on the podium.

I will never ever understand, why Hilde has never joined a team where he was the clear leader going into the Tour. He has (had?) the potential to win it, but it is his mind that was not eager or strong enough to believe in it and subordinate everything in order to achieve it. Maybe he is afraid of the pressure? For me, a great rider (full like all others - sorry clinic material) who could have achieved much more with a different attitude and at other teams.

Maybe the Tour de Suisse 2011 at least as a small token of appreciation?

(Not to divert but with regard to Jani: REMEMBER DAUPHINÉ STAGE TO ALPE D'HUEZ 2010 VS DOPADOR??!! - don't underestimate the guy)

No one really understands that.
We accepted that it is just HIM.
You don't have to understand everyone.

Pressure and being in the focus is possibly a factor.
I think he is now earning last good money with low risk.
He could risk more, but he is a nice family guy.

Cobblestoned said:
No one really understands that.
We accepted that it is just HIM.
You don't have to understand everyone.

Pressure and being in the focus is possibly a factor.
I think he is now earning last good money with low risk.
He could risk more, but he is a nice family guy.

Agreeing with 'stoned, Libertine, and (of course) greg: Klodi isn't a captain, despite ability. He remains my favorite GT contender, but I know what to expect from him, and would love to see one more top ten ride. That's all I really have to say, so here' a pic:

_41919004_kloden_afp416.jpg

Kwibus said:
I'd be surprised if he ended up in the top10 really. Radioshack will probably put their money on Brajkovic and besides that I just don't see Kloden in the top10 anymore.

I agree w/ Kwibus. I like Klodi... he's been such a loyal domestique over the years when he himself could have been going for a high placing. But he's getting a little too old to compete with the young thoroughbreds. Plus with Brako and Levi, I'm afraid Klodi might just fall back to the familiar role of super domestique... not that I expect much of Levi either at the Tour. So with the other your guys and his own team's makeup, I don't know if he can get into the top ten at the Tour, but it will be fun watching to seen if he can. I'd like it if he did.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
xmoonx said:
...I came across this analysis by Chris Horner of AC's acceleration (stage 17, 09, TDF), which basically dropped Klodi....

Puleeze!! Horner never analyzed spit. Although I admit he sounds credible talking off the top of his head -- until one really listens!:rolleyes:

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
mr. tibbs said:
Agreeing with 'stoned, Libertine, and (of course) greg: Klodi isn't a captain, despite ability. He remains my favorite GT contender, but I know what to expect from him, and would love to see one more top ten ride. That's all I really have to say, so here' a pic:

_41919004_kloden_afp416.jpg

Not so sure about him being a captain, but he's been on the podium in the Tour de France twice, so it does seem like he knows what to do in a three week stage race. Of course, his best years might be behind him. And I myself am a Kloden fanboy. Who knows if he'll target a high overall placing at the Tour, with Janez on their roster chances are he won't.

He did do a pretty good ride at todays TT in Algarve today though

xmoonx said:
Thanks! nice video. I also hope he does well. Although I seriously doubt he'll crack the top 5.

Following that video thread; I came across this analysis by Chris Horner of AC's acceleration (stage 17, 09, TDF), which basically dropped Klodi.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ituh5z6P6TU&feature=related

hahah hilarious stuff

he is just saying so much crap that its not even worth to go into details about what is crap and what isn't

Everyone loves Klöden, seems like such a nice, humble character.

I think he would have been in with a shot in 2007 if he didn't have to stay back and help Vino, they didn't finish the Tour anyway so I guess it doesn't matter. If only JB can make him want to win, in my mind he's a class above the other TRS chances.

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I think Kloden has seen how the German media skewered Ullrich over the years and has decided he wants none of that. Yes he has shown the talent to podium at the Tour, but as mentioned it appears he has no desire to captain a team at the Tour at this point in his career. When the leadership has fallen into his lap he's handled it like it was radioactive, and his performance has suffered. When he's riding as 2nd option, with less pressure than the leader, he seems to excell. Nevertheless he's always been a classy rider IMO, and being a close friend with the Der Kaiser gives him big points in my book, my being a Jan fan boy.:)

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Kloden

Kloden totally has a chance to WIN!! Not just top 10.

If he was the team leader, he would kick ***.

Last year the whole team held him back. He has always been 2nd on the "team".

Give him freedom and he can do it.

Top 10 would be easy. Go for the win.

He has great experience with TdF.

2nd overall – Tour de France

2nd overall – Tour de France

2nd, Prologue – Tour de France
2nd, Stage 13 – Tour de France
6th, Stage 14 – Tour de France

6th Overall, Tour de France

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
xmoonx said:
Thanks! nice video. I also hope he does well. Although I seriously doubt he'll crack the top 5.

Following that video thread; I came across this analysis by Chris Horner of AC's acceleration (stage 17, 09, TDF), which basically dropped Klodi.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ituh5z6P6TU&feature=related

Chris is angry because Klodi getting dropped cost him prise money. The reality is Kloden lost a minute on the descent that day and also lost time the week before when he dropped back to pace old man lance up the climb after they had both popped chasing their teammate.

cyclopeon said:
Puleeze!! Horner never analyzed spit. Although I admit he sounds credible talking off the top of his head -- until one really listens!:rolleyes:

While its entirely probable Kloden would have cracked regardless if Schleck & Co. attacked. The fact remains is that Contador attack put Kloden in trouble and dragged Schleck and Co. along for the ride.
The GC as it stood after stage 16:
General classification after stage 16
1 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Astana 67:33:15
2 Lance Armstrong (USA) Astana 0:01:37
3 Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Garmin - Slipstream 0:01:46
4 Andreas Klöden (Ger) Astana 0:02:17
5 Andy Schleck (Lux) Team Saxo Bank 0:02:26
6 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas 0:02:51
7 Christophe Le Mevel (Fra) Française des Jeux 0:03:09
8 Fränk Schleck (Lux) Team Saxo Bank 0:03:25

The GC as it stood after Contadors attack stage 17:
General classification after stage 17
1 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Astana 72:27:09
2 Andy Schleck (Lux) Team Saxo Bank 0:02:26
3 Fränk Schleck (Lux) Team Saxo Bank 0:03:25
4 Lance Armstrong (USA) Astana 0:03:55
5 Andreas Klöden (Ger) Astana 0:04:44

The only effective change in the GC is Alberto Contador successfully put > 2:30 in his teammates. Barring bonuses (which FS gained) AS & FS are at the same time gaps.

Say what you will those are the facts Jack!

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
I guess Klöden still might be capable of a top10 finish in the Tour. Of course, last year's Tour has not exactly been a display of power by him, but if Chris Horner was able to get a top10-placing last year, Klöden should be able to do the same this year. He still is the better ITT-rider and he is a smart and constant climber. If all goes well and he maybe gets in a breakaway on a medium-hard stage gaining 1 or 2 minutes on the favorites, he'll be able to finish on places 6-10. If not, he might not improve his position from the last Tour.

Maybe he should concentrate on winning a stage, though. He is/was a decent sprinter for a GC-guy and has been close to winning a stage serveral times. A GT stage-win would definately be a nice ornament for his career.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
xmoonx said:
While its entirely probable Kloden would have cracked regardless if Schleck & Co. attacked. The fact remains is that Contador attack put Kloden in trouble and dragged Schleck and Co. along for the ride.
The GC as it stood after stage 16:
General classification after stage 16
1 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Astana 67:33:15
2 Lance Armstrong (USA) Astana 0:01:37
3 Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Garmin - Slipstream 0:01:46
4 Andreas Klöden (Ger) Astana 0:02:17
5 Andy Schleck (Lux) Team Saxo Bank 0:02:26
6 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas 0:02:51
7 Christophe Le Mevel (Fra) Française des Jeux 0:03:09
8 Fränk Schleck (Lux) Team Saxo Bank 0:03:25

The GC as it stood after Contadors attack stage 17:
General classification after stage 17
1 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Astana 72:27:09
2 Andy Schleck (Lux) Team Saxo Bank 0:02:26
3 Fränk Schleck (Lux) Team Saxo Bank 0:03:25
4 Lance Armstrong (USA) Astana 0:03:55
5 Andreas Klöden (Ger) Astana 0:04:44

The only effective change in the GC is Alberto Contador successfully put > 2:30 in his teammates. Barring bonuses (which FS gained) AS & FS are at the same time gaps.

Say what you will those are the facts Jack!

The fact is Kloden lost most of the time that day because he descended like a grandmother.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Chris is angry because Klodi getting dropped cost him prise money. The reality is Kloden lost a minute on the descent that day and also lost time the week before when he dropped back to pace old man lance up the climb after they had both popped chasing their teammate.

This thread has NOTHING to do with "old man lance".
Geez give it a rest.

BTW, here is a Great Vid of a "Klodi Flyer" at the end of a TdF stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsv_7o3mQno
Go Klodi Go.
Wearing the French ooops German Nat'l Jersey.
Go Klodi - DON"T LOOK BACK.
"The race is in front of you"
oooops - no gifts sigh.

TRENDING THREADS