• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Andreas Kloden's Final Bid For Another Coveted Top 10 Tour Finish, 'Official' Thread

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Gesink even finished the Tour with similar back problems.
They couldn't even touch his back until the friday before Paris. It was too sensitive.

And then still people laying the smack on him for his non-performance

Begs the question, why did he struggle to Paris? Could've done some permanent damage if he isn't careful.

Apparently Klodi's back and general condition are not strong enough for him to be a contender at the Vuelta - this will be a shame if true. Maybe he can grab the leaders jersey after the TTT as minor consolation?

Anyway, we will know in one weeks time. Perhaps he is just being modest and playing down his chances to release pressure on himself to perform.

gregrowlerson said:
Apparently Klodi's back and general condition are not strong enough for him to be a contender at the Vuelta - this will be a shame if true. Maybe he can grab the leaders jersey after the TTT as minor consolation?

Anyway, we will know in one weeks time. Perhaps he is just being modest and playing down his chances to release pressure on himself to perform.

a shame to ear that. lets hope he uses this vuelta to smack some sense, experience and wisdom into machado's head :p

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
SHAD0W93 said:
Maybe it's all part of a plan JB thought up for Kloden to lose time and than get in a break and gain back the time. :eek:

Lets hope that's the case. He could still gain a good amount of time on other in the TT. If he's in good condition

SHAD0W93 said:
Well Kloden you should at least try placing top 50. :)

Top 100 might even be a little ambitious...

Just as well he signed that new 2 year deal before the Vuelta :D

With his GT career clearly on the slide, perhaps his main focus will be on his defence of his Pais Vasco crown in 2012, plus the occasional victory in a TT.

I am even happier now that he won Pais Vasco this year - makes his last couple of seasons not a total waste.

hfer07 said:
I'm afraid Kloden's powers as a GT riders are beginning to fade-perhaps he should go for a week long stage races where he can get better results- its a pity that such amazing rider is dealing with this kind of misfortune...

I thought that he went into the Tour with possibly the best form of all the other Shack riders and his crash put an end to it all. He obviously hasn't built his form back up from his time off the bike to be at his best. I wouldn't write him off career wise just yet but of course I could be wrong. He has such a fragile psyche.

Cobblestoned said:
Do you follow cycling ?
Aggressive "question"...we'll put it down to a language issue...Anyway I confused 2008 with 2009, last time he climbed with the best was in the 2009 TDF, 2+ years ago and the "loss" of his "climbing legs" had already been discussed here before the 2011 TDF. I'll let you look that up.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
webvan said:
Aggressive "question"...we'll put it down to a language issue...Anyway I confused 2008 with 2009, last time he climbed with the best was in the 2009 TDF, 2+ years ago and the "loss" of his "climbing legs" had already been discussed here before the 2011 TDF. I'll let you look that up.

No language issue, dude.

Don't know what you are talking about.
You come here, supercool, after he sucks third day in row at la Vuelta, blabla climbing legs, told you so, no surprise. :rolleyes:
I think it would have been a real surprise for most people, if Klöden hadn't been up there at the TdF without his crash. Wouldn't say he would have won it, or podiumed, but a Top5 was what many people expected from him after his very good season. Even the superexperts around here.
Again, just for you, he stated around 10 days ago, that he won't be up there at la Vuelta because he still has some backissues and can't be in topshape to be a GC rider.
His 2010 season was worse than average compared to his usual results. No doubt.

Anyway, you failed with you supercool performance. :D
Even Klöden rides better right now.

gregrowlerson said:
Top 100 might even be a little ambitious...

Just as well he signed that new 2 year deal before the Vuelta :D

With his GT career clearly on the slide, perhaps his main focus will be on his defence of his Pais Vasco crown in 2012, plus the occasional victory in a TT.

I am even happier now that he won Pais Vasco this year - makes his last couple of seasons not a total waste.

I say he should try winning Paris-Nice, Pais Vasco, Tour de Suisse, and a grand tour stage. :)

SHAD0W93 said:
I say he should try winning Paris-Nice, Pais Vasco, Tour de Suisse, and a grand tour stage. :)

I have similar feelings. Definitely Pais Vasco and Tour de Suisse in 2012. I would also avoid the TDF for a change and focus on the weaker Vuelta - if there is a lot of TT then a 37 year old Kloden could be a chance to win it. Possibly ride the Giro too, but only if the parcours is very friendly too him, which is unlikely. The TDF should be as tough to succeed in as ever next year as Contador will focus on it after his perceived failure this year, Evan will have to race it as the defending champion, the Schlecks always seem to go for it even if the course doesn't suit, Basso will give it another go after not being fully fit this year, and Nibali might do so too after 2 seasons of Giro-Vuelta focus and success. All of that would mean a not particularly strong Vuelta field.

On the Schlecks, why don't they separate them? One should do the Giro-Vuelta and the other the TDF. Imagine the anger on these boards if they won all 3?! They might both win a GT if they are not spending half their time wondering where the other one is.

TRENDING THREADS