• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Andrew Talansky Discussion Thread

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

jmdirt said:
zlev11 said:
he did a great descent on a very technical road in the wet on the Paris-Nice stage he won in 2013. he most likely just didn't want to crash before the Tour.
I think that this is it.
If he was just cautious because of the Tour, then I do not know what to think about it. Tejay should have the same interest of not crashing before the Tour, and unlike Talansky, he had nothing really to lose or gain from the last stage (podium unlikely, already one stage win), yet he did not mind descending at full speed.

His latest tweet does not provide any further hint either
Bummed to lose podium yesterday but I can't thank the riders and staff from @Ride_Argyle enough for their support during the ups and downs
So he either really became bad descender, or the team told him to be careful, even if the podium was at stake, because they have high expectations from him at the Tour? Anyway, a pity, it would be great for the team to have him on a podium. Although Barguil instead of him was also nice.

jmdirt said:
zlev11 said:
he did a great descent on a very technical road in the wet on the Paris-Nice stage he won in 2013. he most likely just didn't want to crash before the Tour.
I think that this is it.

So... Losing out on a podium in one of the biggest 1-week races to save for the 10th place in Le Tour...
If his name was Contador or Froome, yes, that would make sense. But now?

Talansky finished 11th last year despite his form being way off his best. I don't understand people questioning his ability to finish in the top10. There are many guys who can climb better than him on a given stage, but Talansky's recovery is better than most of them.

There's a good chance that Talansky will be prepared better this year than last year based on his Tour de Suisse. And once again I repeat: last year he came home 11th and it was a Tour which had less DNFs than average among top guys. It's not 100% sure Talansky will finish in the top10 but he has a good chance if he avoids troubles during preparation and the race.

Anderis said:
Talansky finished 11th last year despite his form being way off his best. I don't understand people questioning his ability to finish in the top10. There are many guys who can climb better than him on a given stage, but Talansky's recovery is better than most of them.

There's a good chance that Talansky will be prepared better this year than last year based on his Tour de Suisse. And once again I repeat: last year he came home 11th and it was a Tour which had less DNFs than average among top guys. It's not 100% sure Talansky will finish in the top10 but he has a good chance if he avoids troubles during preparation and the race.

I agree with this entirely. All a rider with Talansky's recovery abilities and his good time trialing needs to do to break the to 10 is avoid falling off while being the sixteenth or seventeenth best climber or something. Talansky should be able to that without having to show anything he hasn't shown before.

What I'm concerned about is whether or not he's ever going to show anything that again suggests he could be more than a reliable 8th to 11th place fringe GC rider.

Anderis said:

If he aims for the top 10 then I think he will finish there. That's a much lower goal than even aiming for top 5. Look, I like him as much as anyone and he's proven he can win a big race and can climb/TT, but Froome/Qintana/Contador and maybe a few others like Porte and Pinot are a level above him right now. I'd much rather see him win a mountain stage and finish Top 10 than try for Top 3-5 and get bupkis...

Re:

jmdirt said:
He is skipping the TdF and racing the VaE I haven't looked at the profile yet, but I think this is a good move for him.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/talansky-will-miss-tour-de-france-focus-on-vuelta-a-espana/
Wow, this sounds like wise decision. There are too many second tier riders obsessed with the tour who would be better off focusing on some other race. And the team still can try their luck at the Tour with Rolland. It's also good to see that Talansky is not too disappointed about that and looks forward to Vuelta.

Re:

jmdirt said:
He is skipping the TdF and racing the VaE I haven't looked at the profile yet, but I think this is a good move for him.
I also didn't analise the Vuelta route much so far but Vuelta is the GT that suits him the least out of 3, I'm afraid. Talansky is not good on short, explosive climbs, that are typical for Spanish GT.

Anderis said:
jmdirt said:
I also didn't analise the Vuelta route much so far but Vuelta is the GT that suits him the least out of 3, I'm afraid. Talansky is not good on short, explosive climbs, that are typical for Spanish GT.
I agree with you on that. The GdI might be his best terrain. Maybe a solid VaE, a solid early spring, and then a shot at the GdI?

Re:

DanielSong39 said:
As one American folds, another rises...

Looks like Tejay won't get it done, but hopefully Andrew Talansky can pick up the slack! I think a top 10 performance in the Tour de France is definitely possible... keeping my fingers crossed!

He's already been around. Gotten a few top 10's in GT's....I don't think he's gonna get any better. Sure he might get a top 10 in the Tour, but it's kinda sad if that's the only hope the US has right now. He's not a real contender for victory.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

DanielSong39 said:
Well, relatively speaking. He did have a little mid-career slump that he is coming out of.
Crashed out of one Tour after winning Dauphine because of a long range attack and the next year he finished 11th on gc and justmissed a stage win because Ryder wasn't able to keep the gap to Geschke under control, that wasn't a great Tour, but still a solid one.
For me he's in the same league as König, maybe König is a bit more consistent as a gt rider, but Talansky is better in shorter stage races.

Mayomaniac said:
DanielSong39 said:
Well, relatively speaking. He did have a little mid-career slump that he is coming out of.
Crashed out of one Tour after winning Dauphine because of a long range attack and the next year he finished 11th on gc and justmissed a stage win because Ryder wasn't able to keep the gap to Geschke under control, that wasn't a great Tour, but still a solid one.
For me he's in the same league as König, maybe König is a bit more consistent as a gt rider, but Talansky is better in shorter stage races.
What a crazy break that was! What a stage that was! And with half the action before the broadcast even started.