• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Andrew Talansky Discussion Thread

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Talansky's Stock is rising. Can he win Paris Nice?

1st, Overall, Tour de l'Ain
1st, Stage 4
1st, Points Classification
2nd, Overall, Tour de Romandie
1st, Young Rider Classification
7th, Overall, Vuelta a España
8th, Overall, Volta ao Algarve
8th, National Time Trial Championships
1st, Stage 3, Paris-Nice

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Good progress. Just 3 years ago I talked to him during the San Dimas race when he was still on California Giant Berry Farms team. Good for him, from racing local races in Cali to WT contender! I'm proud of you son!

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Quintana was also much stronger in the Vuelta last year. But he was working for Valverde.

Quintana is the favourite for PN, if he somehow falters then definitely Talansky enters the picture.

Quintana was brilliant on one stage in the Vuelta and largely anonymous for most of the rest of it. Amazing the selective memories some people have. Will be fascinating to see how he gets on this week but it's stretching things to say he is favourite ahead of Westra, Van Garderen, Talansky and Porte, all of whom are superior time triallists and have achieved far more than him in meaningful stage races up to this point.

Bernie's eyesore said:
Quintana was brilliant on one stage in the Vuelta and largely anonymous for most of the rest of it. Amazing the selective memories some people have. Will be fascinating to see how he gets on this week but it's stretching things to say he is favourite ahead of Westra, Van Garderen, Talansky and Porte, all of whom are superior time triallists and have achieved far more than him in meaningful stage races up to this point.
Quintana is a superior uphill time trialist, and that's what matters. Van Garderen is not.

Also, he was brilliant in the whole final Vuelta week.

Museeuw said:
One word, wheelsucker.

Just crossed my mind when watching last 10 km of stage 3.

Museeuw said:
I don't know if it's possible (propably not) but in generally races should be raced more for winning not saving energy or using them as a preparation for other races.

This is difficult question because you can't be in the top form all the time. And yes, you have to race to get in that top form.

OK, this is cycling and this is how it goes, but it really bothers me when somebody is using for exemple vuelta as a preparation to WC. That's good for cyclist and WC, but not for vuelta. And that is bad thing.

Why do tactics never factor in? Why go to the front unless you are the favorite or on the favorite's team or otherwise have something to gain from making the race harder? Why not draft other riders so you can have energy to win the stage and conserve energy for contesting the GC? Who else in that breakaway group had GC aspirations?

If Alberto Contador did the same thing there would be 10 new AC erotic fanfic threads up by now that condescendingly explain to numbskulls like me why he's the second coming of Jesus because he can win a sprint from a small group thus rounding out his skillset (climbing, tt, and now the best at sprinting ever!)

I understand its more entertaining to watch Vino attack or Cancellara put it all on the line in an attempt to win in spite of tactical logic but i think its an unrealistic expectation of all riders all the time.

By the time we cut out all the packfill and wheelsuckers you are watching track riding. However I understand its trendy to make fun of packfill, wheelsuckers, and anglophone riders.

Museeuw said:
One word, wheelsucker.

Just crossed my mind when watching last 10 km of stage 3.

That's what I saw too. I guess Talansky really wanted the stage win whereas Porte blinked first and decided in the end to favor having a gap over the chasers instead of fighting for the time bonus. He probably should have decided on that earlier and taken some pulls at the front earlier.

TRENDING THREADS