• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Andrey Amador

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I admire him a lot. In this peaking-for-one-race generation, he's one of the few guys who can ride everywhere, and will actually do so. You'll see him in the finale of Vlaanderen, and the next thing you know he's up there riding himself into a top 5 in Il Giro or working his ass off for Quintana.

Amador is like a more stage-race friendly version of Lastras, an Abarcá lifer who can do a good job for you on a wide range of terrains and pop up with an unexpected major result that's still not a total surprise here and there (like Pablo's Lombardia podium). He's a bit more adept as a stage racer than Pablo was, obviously, with last year's Giro result in mind, though.

Since they've lost Txente and Lastras, Erviti's stepped up into that lifer role, Amador's perhaps the nearest to the next in line, having been there since 2009 and only having been anywhere else at stagiare level.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
lastras was very unregular. amador not except he crashes a lot like lastras. also lastras could only do hills. amador is also good in longer and steeper mountains.

the fact he sprinted 2 days ago tells me he wants to take the pink jersey the first week

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Anderis said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
the fact he sprinted 2 days ago tells me he wants to take the pink jersey the first week
He is better more careful then, because yesterday he got caught in the 2nd part of the split at one point.
after that crash? did any group get back from that?

Hard to predict whether he will get a top-10 again or will slave for Don, I hope they use him offensively along with Betancur, send them up the road, hunt stage wins and help Valverde at some crucial moments. He has really impressed me again so far, I was totally positive that his 4th last year was a once-in-a-lifetime achievement alá Velits, but Im really not that sure anymore. Lets see how he climbs first!

I really like him. Consistent and loyal down to the ground!

Re:

Ryo Hazuki said:
lastras was very unregular. amador not except he crashes a lot like lastras. also lastras could only do hills. amador is also good in longer and steeper mountains.

So does Tom Dumoulin, I believe. Tom has the edge from the TT as well as from the team. Movistar may make him peel back a bit for the rest of the Giro. Conversely, they can also work for it. They have proved it at the Tour and the Vuelta that having two leaders works in Valverde's advantage: The aggresive rider goes first, he goes at his own tempo behind the counterattacks.

gospina said:
Ryo Hazuki said:

So does Tom Dumoulin, I believe. Tom has the edge from the TT as well as from the team. Movistar may make him peel back a bit for the rest of the Giro. Conversely, they can also work for it. They have proved it at the Tour and the Vuelta that having two leaders works in Valverde's advantage: The aggresive rider goes first, he goes at his own tempo behind the counterattacks.

I hope and think that Amador is free to do whatever he pleases on stage 4, 5 and 6. Come stage 8 it is business and he will have to help Alejandro, but who know, maybe he is in pink at that point?

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
This guy showed nothing that would show his class in GTs or other stage races before Giro 2015, correct me if I'm wrong. It was huge surprise, not on par with Froome's Vuelta 2011, but something like that. Never exceptional in the mountains, he did huge step mearing 29 years of age. Anyone else suprised? Back in 2012 he even had hard time to beat Bárta in MTF... Life is full of surprises. I'm surprised no one mentioned this.

Re:

Kokoso said:
This guy showed nothing that would show his class in GTs or other stage races before Giro 2015, correct me if I'm wrong. It was huge surprise, not on par with Froome's Vuelta 2011, but something like that. Never exceptional in the mountains, he did huge step mearing 29 years of age. Anyone else suprised? Back in 2012 he even had hard time to beat Bárta in MTF... Life is full of surprises. I'm surprised no one mentioned this.

Amador was a very good rider at that point, Froome wasn't.

Amador has a big motor and the harder, better, the more rainy and bad days, the better. He is a diesel and has it in him, he will probably never do it again, but he was by no means a scrub like Froome was prior. He was a very loyal and good domestique who finally was allowed to shine

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
Kokoso said:

Amador has a big motor and the harder, better, the more rainy and bad days, the better. He is a diesel and has it in him, he will probably never do it again, but he was by no means a scrub like Froome was prior. He was a very loyal and good domestique who finally was allowed to shine
So to you his 4th place at Giro didn't come as surprise?

Kokoso said:
Valv.Piti said:
Kokoso said:

That not what I said, but comparing him to Froome is completely over the top :)

Some circumstances were in his favour: the whether, the hardness of the route and Uran and Porte underperforming. Amador is and have always been a good rider, but as I said, he probably won't do it again.

Kokoso said:
Valv.Piti said:
Kokoso said:

4th where he would ride at his own pace and never following the big attacks in a weak field versus Froome Dawg Sprinting full ball up pena Carbaga and even his ride on Angrilu was insane. You are correct

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

Scarponi said:

4th where he would ride at his own pace and never following the big attacks in a weak field versus Froome Dawg Sprinting full ball up pena Carbaga and even his ride on Angrilu was insane. You are correct[/quote]
Definitely Froome was more surprise and better, as we agree and my point even wasn't to compare their performances, that was marginal. So to you his 4th place comes as no surprise?

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

Kokoso said:
Scarponi said:

4th where he would ride at his own pace and never following the big attacks in a weak field versus Froome Dawg Sprinting full ball up pena Carbaga and even his ride on Angrilu was insane. You are correct
Definitely Froome was more surprise and better, as we agree and my point even wasn't to compare their performances, that was marginal. So to you his 4th place comes as no surprise?[/quote]

Yeah it was a surprise, but pleasant one, not suspicious!

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
On the podium for now. That won't last, the competition is much greater this year, but really one hell of a ride today from Amador. He can be incredibly valuable for Valverde, even more now when he is a genuine thread in the GC.
Wtf??? The competition is much greater this year?? Holy crap...

Valv.Piti said:
portugal11 said:
Valv.Piti said:
On the podium for now. That won't last, the competition is much greater this year, but really one hell of a ride today from Amador. He can be incredibly valuable for Valverde, even more now when he is a genuine thread in the GC.
Wtf??? The competition is much greater this year?? Holy crap...

Yes, it most definitely is.
Ofc it is. Even guys like Kruijswijk look majorly improved far!

TRENDING THREADS