• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Andy Schleck Discussion thread.

Page 210 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
hrotha said:
That's BS of the highest order.
Most everybody liked Andy when he first showed up. He earned the contempt of the fans by himself, through years of unrelenting effort.
Too right. I remember watching Andy at the '07 and loving him mixing it up with Di Luca and the rest. He was having the time of his life and rode a fantastic race. He had another brilliant race at the '08 TdF but I started losing a bit of respect when I saw Andy and Frank's reactions when yellow passed from Frank to Sastre. I lost interest in Andy when he got taken off the Vuelta instead of keeping his nose clean and helping out his own brother, who rode his guts out for him at the Tour.

May 4, 2013
Visit site
42x16ss said:
Too right. I remember watching Andy at the '07 and loving him mixing it up with Di Luca and the rest. He was having the time of his life and rode a fantastic race. He had another brilliant race at the '08 TdF but I started losing a bit of respect when I saw Andy and Frank's reactions when yellow passed from Frank to Sastre.
I lost interest in Andy when he got taken off the Vuelta instead of keeping his nose clean and helping out his own brother, who rode his guts out for him at the Tour.

Frank knocked himself out for Andy at the tour, right, and Andy goes on a bender in Spain. Very disappointing from Andy.

But that was then, this is now hoping for a Frandy revival!

myrideissteelerthanyours said:
I was going to fish up one of numerous quotes ITT that explain my point but I knew netserk would be along soon enough to create fresh original content.

You cannot correlate race results with CNF popularity especially among the trendy mafia. Horner is a pariah. Also see Chris Froome, Mark Cavendish, the list goes on... just wait until Porte reveals his true powerlevel.

If you even imply that Andy won le tour '10 and AC was relegated to last place you are considered a Chris Horner tier pariah yourself.

This trendy bandwagon is a result, in my mind, of a lack of anything to talk about. People have no interesting opinions to share so they participate in this groupthink exercise of picking on the unpopular kids.

Disagree... I'm an avid CN forum reader. I don't see much 'picking on the unpopular kids'. In Andy's case, the disappointment is commensurate with how much we all liked (and for some still like) him.

Don't blame anybody but Andy. Some have been disappointed by his selfish attitude at the Vuelta. Others regret Andy's lack of work ethics. In my case, I would have expected a different reaction (i.e. expressing anger) when Andy was declared the 2010 TdF winner: I was robbed of my parade in Paris, the podium, the jersey, the greatest feeling in cycling :( The reaction never happened. I suppose we can all imagine why...Add Frank's suspension, the whining, the team drama...ENOUGH!!!

Still, I was wishing him the best last year and was happy to see him hang in there with the best of them during tough stages. Because I used to like him. I think that most of us feel that way: disappointed.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Angliru said:
Andy has received a great deal of support from many of the same folks (myself included) that were less than fans of his prior to his injury.
This.
and myself too

edit:Andy advantage (fan wise)is low expectations from fans,he can only surprise us :)

I think most of his fans (the few still left like me lol) cut him a lot of flack last year. But I think this year is make or break. Last year we all said he's making a comeback, cant reach your peak when you havent raced in 2012. But if he still cant show good results this year then thats just it! He's done!

And knowing him he will be selective this year as well. Dont expect anything from him at all in Oman. First real test would be LBL. If he flops there its fair to conclude - cycling has simply raced past Andy!

saneguy said:
I think most of his fans (the few still left like me lol) cut him a lot of flack last year. But I think this year is make or break. Last year we all said he's making a comeback, cant reach your peak when you havent raced in 2012. But if he still cant show good results this year then thats just it! He's done!

And knowing him he will be selective this year as well. Dont expect anything from him at all in Oman. First real test would be LBL. If he flops there its fair to conclude - cycling has simply raced past Andy!

For someone like Andy whose reputation is in doubt - why he would wait so long until LBL to really "perform" properly?? I bet you anything If he sucks during the Ardeness, he'll come up with the excuse of "holding back to give everything at the Tour" BS-that's the main driver of all criticisms here ...

saneguy said:

I do expect something from him in Oman. Normal thing would be just do km in competition and help the team, but he did 32 in oman two years ago, so that is not the same of to be with problems to finish the race as last year after his hard injury. so, for me is not the same to be up there, working or getting a top 30, that to be losing a lot of time...of course he is not going to fight for the podium...it would be something new if happends, he could be in a breakaway as he did two in Andalucia once, or in California when was in January, etc...

But after this two years, and he is training well, with good feeling, Oman could give surprises from him...but it is difficult, he need some races in his legs to be on the top, he is not like other riders in that.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
To be truthful, I wouldn't expect anything significant from him in Oman or any of his other first races he does this year. A top 30 is not really something to work towards or an accomplishment, it's just an anonymous placing you wind up in that no one will remember.

It's a little sad, but we most likely have to wait until the Ardennes and the Tour to see if Andy really has a return of form this year. He should be given until the Tour at least to show something IMO. Since that is the race that motivates him the most.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Haven't looked at it yet either, last year I remember the favorites fought it out on a hilly stage as well as green mountain. I assume most of the GC will be decided on green mountain though.

Christian said:
I haven't looked at the Oman profile yet, but doesn't the overall essentially come down to one stage, i.e. Green Mountain?

I could be enough motivation to him, a victory is a victory, and that always matter for someone like him with just a few victories, even when you have won the Tour or Liege... but.. for a climb like that, there are in this moment of the year better people, Andy need to race more to get the shape. But anyway, after last year, the mind of Andy have changed, so I dont put apart a surprise... a top 30 for some people, would be insignificant, for me would be very significant, anyway, not a surprise. I mean surprise another thing. But anyway Andy in this races use to help a mate with some optións, maybe this time to his brother.

The profile is similar to last year, green mountain and some stages with climbs that could split the race.

And of course, the wind.

Last year was an exciting race, with Froome, Contador, Evans, Nibali and Purito in the fight every day...

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
How will the Schlecks fare in 2014?

Rodrigo Beenkens (cycling commentator on RTBF): "It is nearly impossible to say. (...) Without a doubt, it would be good for cycling, if they returned to their old strength. We'll see clearer after Liège."

Kim Kirchen: "I hope they can do it. I think in their new team, the Schlecks have the support they need to make the most out of their great potential."

Jacky Durand: "One thing is for certain: they cannot lose any time. They have to regain their confidence through results and get used to the rhythm and the automatisms of races. I don't think that they can fight for the win in the Tour, but nothing is impossible."

Tom Flammang (former pro, now DS at Leopard CT): "I am not at all worried about Fränk. He knows how to get into shape quickly. Plus I know that he trained hard and did not let himself go. I think he can already compete with the best at Paris-Nice. Andy will start the season more slowly. What will he be able to do? I remain optimistic. The new team, and the fact that he will become a father soon, might give him an extra boost. Expectations are very high. We will know more after the Ardennes classics."

http://www.wort.lu/de/view/saison-2...-tatsaechlich-faehig-52e95e79e4b0227bec51c557

Somehow I still feel Oman will be a blank - Green Mountain or no Green Mountain. One thing is obviously is he has no race legs yet this year. This year another thing that will clearly be visible is the impact Frank has on Andy. See if that actually translates to any results. Last year in California he tried real hard. Couple of breakaways as well but nothing special.

World of cycling has changed significantly between Andy's peak (2011) and now. Froome, Quintana, Nibali have taken climbing to another level. Andy needs stage / race wins to get the confidence to get away in the Tour.

Long shot! But as a fan I can only look at the positive side :)

Little Fane

BANNED
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
saneguy said:
Somehow I still feel Oman will be a blank - Green Mountain or no Green Mountain. One thing is obviously is he has no race legs yet this year. This year another thing that will clearly be visible is the impact Frank has on Andy. See if that actually translates to any results. Last year in California he tried real hard. Couple of breakaways as well but nothing special.

World of cycling has changed significantly between Andy's peak (2011) and now. Froome, Quintana, Nibali have taken climbing to another level. Andy needs stage / race wins to get the confidence to get away in the Tour.

Long shot! But as a fan I can only look at the positive side :)
Nah...
Not another level, just another field.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Contadoraus Schlecks said:
This is true. Think Froome was only 7 seconds faster than Schleck's best effort up Ventoux. And I think Schleck was messing about with Contador as he did it.

There is hope:D:D

saneguy said:

ah andy, andy. Reminiscing about the old days.. It doesn't matter froome is faster only 7 seconds. The fact is froome is riding 'NOW'. And he was riding 3 years ago. As saneguy said world of cycling is drastically changing. He needs to step it up even higher than what he used to be. 3 years ago rides won't mean anything. Look at Contador, how many GT has he won? It means nothing either. Froome, Quintana are the top dog of the current generation. Look at around cycling now. Cavendish used to be the fastest man, now Kittel is raising as the fastest man. Contador who used to keep beating andy, now is struggling or still trying to get to his level (or maybe that's his level) and didn't share the same level of form with Froome or Quintana last year. Nibali is totally different rider that he was when Andy rode mt. ventoux 7 seconds slower than froome.

The point is he needs to look his training differently. He can't do the same typical style of preparation that he does like he used to be. He is way too behind now. Frank on the other hand, has the fire and the motivation to get up there. Andy to me, seems to fragile psychologically. Now that he is on the team that aren't solely build around him, it's probably a wake up call for him.. well, I hope.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Jelantik said:
ah andy, andy. Reminiscing about the old days.. It doesn't matter froome is faster only 7 seconds. The fact is froome is riding 'NOW'. And he was riding 3 years ago. As saneguy said world of cycling is drastically changing. He needs to step it up even higher than what he used to be. 3 years ago rides won't mean anything. Look at Contador, how many GT has he won? It means nothing either. Froome, Quintana are the top dog of the current generation. Look at around cycling now. Cavendish used to be the fastest man, now Kittel is raising as the fastest man. Contador who used to keep beating andy, now is struggling or still trying to get to his level (or maybe that's his level) and didn't share the same level of form with Froome or Quintana last year. Nibali is totally different rider that he was when Andy rode mt. ventoux 7 seconds slower than froome.

For guys like Cavendish and Contador I think (and hope to a degree) that the 2013 Tour was more a case of an off year/race then it is a case of their time has past. And I'm not sure that the level is now higher with guys like Kittel, Froome, Quintana etc. as much as it is just a case of new riders emerging. And other riders like Nibali have just followed a steady path of progression and improvement.

I would agree the results guys like Andy and Contador achieved 3 years ago doesn't mean they'll be able to compete with Froome and others this year. But if Andy can get back to his 2010/11 levels, then I think he will be able to climb with at least the top 10 riders at the Tour.

Afrank said:
For guys like Cavendish and Contador I think (and hope to a degree) that the 2013 Tour was more a case of an off year/race then it is a case of their time has past. And I'm not sure that the level is now higher with guys like Kittel, Froome, Quintana etc. as much as it is just a case of new riders emerging. And other riders like Nibali have just followed a steady path of progression and improvement.

I would agree the results guys like Andy and Contador achieved 3 years ago doesn't mean they'll be able to compete with Froome and others this year. But if Andy can get back to his 2010/11 levels, then I think he will be able to climb with at least the top 10 riders at the Tour.

IF we are to believe Andy and he has got his head on, there is no reason why he should not be back at his best this year. Where that leaves him Vs Froome waits to be seen. I'm also one of the few lone voices that is happy he is back with Frank. The Ardennes should tell us what we can expect in July.

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Will Frank or Andy show anything on green mountain?

I think they will both perform well this year. Frank is aging and they must realise they have limited years to perform competitively together

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
6752b1002377c22ffb706f10322d2e3c130895d7.jpg

They are looking sharp at least.... as always

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Contadoraus Schlecks said:
Will Frank or Andy show anything on green mountain?

I think they will both perform well this year. Frank is aging and they must realise they have limited years to perform competitively together

I don't expect to see anything yet, too early. Got to give them time to get into form.

TRENDING THREADS