• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Andy Schleck Discussion thread.

Page 70 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 27, 2010
Visit site
NOOOO ANDY IS THE BEST!!!

contador-schleck-chain-gate.jpg

VeloCity said:
Why this piling on Andy? How quickly people forget.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011...s-stage-win-and-positions-for-tour-win_185257

When was the last time Contador went on a stage-winning 60km attack?

When was the last time any tour contender went on a 60k stage winning attack.

One.must also consider that when schleck went on his 60k attack everyone kept on going at their own pace.
When contador went on his 96k attack, the 3 top riders on gc where sprinting to get to his wheel as if their lives depended on it, and 2 seemed unable to hold it for.long.

I've been the biggest cheerleader of andys 18 performance on here, but if he had gotten the contador treatment he would not have won that stage either , so the comparison.is.unfair as both have tried it and one was allowed.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
Actually i used to like Andy more than Alberto, since Alberto used to ride for Jb. Now i don't know who i like more...i would love it if they both retires after this season.
And then we wouldnt have any half decent climbers in the pro peloton.

You always have to look at the long term effects as well.

Anyway it wasnt Andy's choice to ride for JB so you cant blame his for that particular misdemeanour.

Froome19 said:
And then we wouldnt have any half decent climbers in the pro peloton.

You always have to look at the long term effects as well.

Anyway it wasnt Andy's choice to ride for JB so you cant blame his for that particular misdemeanour.

No, its not because of jb that i started disliking andy..starts before that.

VeloCity said:
Why this piling on Andy? How quickly people forget.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011...s-stage-win-and-positions-for-tour-win_185257

When was the last time Contador went on a stage-winning 60km attack?

When was the last time Contador actually put himself in a position when that was the only alternative to finishing off of the podium? That would be last year when he did one better than Andy in terms of the distance he initiated his attack but just fell 2 places short on the podium. Having a team able to support such an effort certainly had quite an influence on Andy even attempting such a feat. Keep in mind that the outcome was an accident and not part of his initial game plan. That attack, epic and impressive as it was (and it definitely was), was intended to free up Frank, make Cadel's team work and eventually isolate Cadel, allowing Frank to eventually put time into Cadel. At least that is how it was eventually explained by Andy himself if I'm not mistaken. What both stages showed is how far above their competitors Contador and Andy Schleck are in the mountains.

Still though that one incident should make up for all the blame deflecting, whining, half-hearted efforts in all but approximately 4 weeks of the season?

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:

One.must also consider that when schleck went on his 60k attack everyone kept on going at their own pace.
When contador went on his 96k attack, the 3 top riders on gc where sprinting to get to his wheel as if their lives depended on it, and 2 seemed unable to hold it for.long.

I've been the biggest cheerleader of andys 18 performance on here, but if he had gotten the contador treatment he would not have won that stage either , so the comparison.is.unfair as both have tried it and one was allowed.

The motives of their attacks were different. Exploding the race without any responsibility and come what may futher and winning the race are different things. At that, Andy's attack scenographically looked way way better. So there are a lot of critetia for the comparison. :)

Fidolix

BANNED
Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
taiwan said:
IMHO all Andy needs to do to restore his credibility on the CN Forum is win a Giro. It's not the side his bread is buttered on though. Can't perform at the Giro and the Tour.

No not really, all he needs to do is to race accordingly to his talent and stop whining all the time, it´s unprofessional and a pain in the a z z always to hear excuses every time something goes wrong, and it obviously lies in the family.

He needs to show his sport some more respect, ride harder, rider more and honestly his palmeras could surely need it if he wants to be remembered for his results and not for the results he could have had but been throwing away, hes a primadonna who needs to put his feet back on the ground, ride his bike and shut up.

I like Andy but I hate what hes doing to his talent, throwing away everything course he have to follow in his brothers shoes, (sometimes Stuies) its pathetic, get some hair on his chest and ride the damn bike.

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:

Oh I was just saying that the disparaging of Andy around here is unfair. Let's give him some credit here: he didn't have to attack 60 km out, and it's not his fault that no one initially chased. I'm sure that he was expecting the others to be right on his wheel, yet he went that far out anyway. And even then, when they did start to chase, he still held them off solo, and he was in a world of hurt on that final climb. It was a ballsy move and a ride worthy of the best of Contador, but for whatever reason there's a lot of people who won't give Andy the same credit.

Personally I like both Andy and Alberto and I'd love to see them go head-to-head again with both at top form - be more interesting than an Evans-Wiggins matchup for one thing. I just don't understand the need to question Andy's courage on the bike. I think he's proven that he has guts.

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
Still though that one incident should make up for all the blame deflecting, whining, half-hearted efforts in all but approximately 4 weeks of the season?
But we forgive Contador for all the blame deflecting and whining about the clenbuterol?

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
He never did. What do you want to show? That Andy is much more awesome than Alberto?
No, I just don't get why some Alberto fans constantly feel the need to disparage and disrespect Andy. They're both great riders.

Fidolix

BANNED
Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
airstream said:
The motives of their attacks were different. Exploding the race without any responsibility and come what may futher and winning the race are different things. At that, Andy's attack scenographically looked way way better. So there are a lot of critetia for the comparison. :)

lol and you honestly believe they would have taken the chance with the big possibility of losing Andy in the top, if not Franky had been up there in the GC aswell?

Hell no, they had to do something, one of them had to try to distance Evans before the TT, and it was a bald but desperate attempt that actually succeeded for once.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
dlwssonic said:
this forum is just plain mean to andy. But its quite funny:D

And Andy is such an easy target, he lines them up perfectly for us so we can hit the punch line dead on every time. Not following through with these lead in's for us is SO hard! :D

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
VeloCity said:
No, I just don't get why some Alberto fans constantly feel the need to disparage and disrespect Andy. They're both great riders.

It's overly simple. The forum is very young and many posters pay tribute only to their riders and look for any opportunity to needle their main opponents. To some Contador fans, the only thought that Andy will dominate in GTs in coming years brings on a bad mood and insomnia. As for CN forum, first it's an artificially cultivated myth of "whining" and all that jazz (Fuentes 06, the 2010 Vuelta) everyone tries to justify its dislike (hatred).

One moment gladdens me. By the number of the pages in nominal threads, we can make a clear conclusion who a cycling star #1 is. ;)

hrotha said:
Contempt for Andy is nearly universal even among Contador haters actually.

This...although I wouldn't necessarily call it contempt, more like that the consensus finds his "media relations" quite entertaining. :D I can only compare Andy to a prominent celebrity who is constantly giving the late nite talk show hosts material for their monologue.

Fidolix

BANNED
Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
well this thread and it´s content actually makes me wanna ask this question:

Would Andy have won the tour last year if he had rode for Riis? - with or without Franky.