• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

any races in Sicily?

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
redranger said:
I am Living in Sicily and I am wondering if there are any pro races hosted here? even just continental teams.

There are currently, no Professional Road racing events that take place in Sicily. There used to be a Professional road race held in Sicily. It was called the Giro Dell' Etna, which was held in the Years 1980-2004. It was a one day race, which attracted top pro riders and teams. Some notable winners include Francesco Moser, Rolf Sorensen, Mario Cipollini and Fillippo Pozzato.

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
The big one is coming to Siciliy next year apparently by which i mean Il Giro.

Yes the 2011 edition of the Giro will celebrate the 150 th anniversary off the unification of Italy, and it is likely that it will begin in Sicily and end in Turin.

The Bald Eagle said:
Yes the 2011 edition of the Giro will celebrate the 150 th anniversary off the unification of Italy, and it is likely that it will begin in Sicily and end in Turin.

No no. The start and finish has already been decided. Start in Turin end in Milan. But it is rumoured Sicily will host stage 7 -10 or some such.

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Yes I stand corrected. The 2011 Giro will start ( 94 th edition ) in Turin on Saturday 7 th of May with a 22km team Time Trial. And end in Milan ( with an individual Time Trial ). The rest of the stages have Yet to be revealed. But it is rumored that there will be a stage in Sicily to tie in with the 150 th anniversary theme ( unification of Italy ) where Garibaldi landed with a 1000 troops to launch a campaign, that would eventually lead to the unification of Italy.