• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

anyone happy the chicken is back?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
HE had a 'prescription'. Even though that is a bs excuse he hasn't tested positive or cheated the system officially. I know that you could come up with millions of pieces of evidence but hold back because i could to.
By the same token that Armstrong hasn't tested positive officially, Vinokourov, Rasmussen and Landis have officially received their penalty and are therefore free to race again. Which makes the original assertion - that the latter three should not return - pointless. You can't jump on and off 'official' viewpoints simply because they serve you. Armstrong is clean and Rasmussen is no longer guilty of lying about his whereabouts, because he has received punishment. Both can race.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Jonathan said:
By the same token that Armstrong hasn't tested positive officially, Vinokourov, Rasmussen and Landis have officially received their penalty and are therefore free to race again. Which makes the original assertion - that the latter three should not return - pointless. You can't jump on and off 'official' viewpoints simply because they serve you. Armstrong is clean and Rasmussen is no longer guilty of lying about his whereabouts, because he has received punishment. Both can race.

I agree with you. that's what i said in my former post.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
The Dr said:
You what? These riders coming back do NOTHING but make the sport look like a complete joke. He was not doing anything the other were not doing??? Err yes he was and he always has.......There are riders finishing top 10 on GC at the grand tours clean, and riders like the chicken, Landis et al can ride away like they do because the cheat. Fact

Let's turn the light on here. Rasmussen was not busted for doping. He was fired by his team Rabobank for lying. The UCI followed with a 2 year ban for dodging controls. He should come back. He's a great rider with a bad attitude. Rasmussen can make things interesting.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Sheltowee said:
Let's turn the light on here. Rasmussen was not busted for doping.He was fired by his team Rabobank for lying. The UCI followed with a 2 year ban for dodging controls.

Let's be realistic here people. Avoiding doping controls or lying about whereabouts is the same as a failed test. The two year ban was justified.

An analogy would be refusing a sample at a drink driving check point. You are guilty of drunk in charge even though you haven't tested.

To answer the question, I can't stand the guy. But I defend his right to race again.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
I'm looking forward to him coming back. He should have won the Tour. I'd like to see him do well next year (but probably won't be invited so won't get the chance)

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Sure, let's get Landis, Ricco, and Heras to join in - the Roche Tour de Pharmacy. It's EPO+insulin versus HGH and testosterone. Think about it - for an extra charge, you can be injected with the same high performance 'blue' CERA that propelled Ricco to his stage wins. Testosterone? Floyd Landis says you're 'nuts' not to use his personal brand.

Basso, Vino, Ullrich, and Valverde can duke it out in the Tour de Transfusion, with surgical tubing arches over the finish line, and pretty girls dressed up as nurses presenting the surgical smocks, er jerseys, on the podium. Heck, let's drop the phony 'who flatulated' look every time someone gets busted, and embrace the miracle of biotech. Instead of a two year suspension, you get a two year contract with the company whose drugs you were using. The pharma companies have all sorts of money to toss around, cycling may as well cash in openly.

Back to the subject at hand - Chicken was never found guilty of doping, he was convicted of stupidity and immaturity. I'd rather see him back than the dopers that were actually caught.

He served his suspension, if a team signs him, let him ride. If he tests positive again, bounce him. He was indeed a great climber and would have made this year's boring Tour more interesting.

Still the only guy I've seen to crack Contador. LL Sanchez did it when Contador bonked. The Chicken got the elastic to snap while going head to head.

Rasmussen may not have actually tested positive, but it's highly, highly likely he was on Dynepo, as they found every indication of it in his system on a post-Tour test. There however is no real sanctioning for Dynepo by UCI rules, so it didn't count. Having said that, there is NO way that Rasmussen is a doper and everyone else who didn't get caught is clean. That's just absurd.

I agree that Landis, Heras, Vino, all of them should be now allowed to race. I can't stand Vino, and loved Heras, but the rules are the same. They served their suspensions, let them ride. And like Rasmussen, and unlike everyone in this year's Tour, these guys would at least attack!

I believe BroDeal was referring to Lance's 1999 EPO use.

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm happy. I think it will make it more difficult for Lance to control the mountain stages with his super team. Unless the Chicken ends up racing for Radio Shack too... Then I'd rather he stays home, or in Mexico or wherever the hell he is.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Juan Pelota said:
although clearly a doper, I don't understand how he was even legally suspended.

And yea, we need someone to try and match AC in the hills.

yuo'd rather a another cheat to match AC in the mountains than a clean race (even though the race hasn't had any dope tests come out.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
anyone happy the chicken is back

Very happy, can't wait for him to race a big tour again and make this
interesting again.

btw,some seem to forget his time trials improved in 07 and allow him to almost win... how come? this time around he trained TT's simply because after winning 2 KOM it was clear he may had a shot on GC...
just see what happens to Andy next year.

Don't remember anyone having problems with MR winning those KOM then...

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
I am somewhat happy he will be coming back. It will be interesting to see what team will pick him up or even approach him.

I saw him face to face when the MTB world champs were in Vail...maybe 2001 and I'm not sure what it was but his eyes and statue give him a creepy look.

Maybe he learned his lesson and will just be a faithful domestique and collect a pay check year to year w/o messing around again.

I just hope The Chicken eats a pizza before coming back...
rasmussen20finogm4.jpg

Strong winds on top of Ventoux would have blown him right off.

Or hits the tanning booth!

I actually think that wretched 2005 ITT at St. Etienne was a bit of an anomaly. The course was very technical, yes, but he had been an MTB racer, so he should have been able to handle that. He was also reportedly racing on 19mm tires, instead of 21s for a little less resistance. He probably failed to ride the course previously to racing it. Also, remember that two of his problems were mechanical...

As to how good he'll be when he does get back, presuming he was doping, and won't be able to (nearly as much) when he returns, who knows?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
**Uru** said:
I am not particularly happy the Chicken is back. Unless of course he does another time trial like he did in 2005 wearing the KOM jersey. That was priceless.

I agree. Then we can see who falls off more The chicken or Menchov.
:D

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
runninboy said:
I agree. Then we can see who falls off more The chicken or Menchov.
:D

lol

Yes, we need the chicken back. And I am starting a collection to tease Jan Ullrich back too. Who wants to throw in a dollar? Two or three Millions might lurk him back. Woudn't that be fun?

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
**Uru** said:
I am not particularly happy the Chicken is back. Unless of course he does another time trial like he did in 2005 wearing the KOM jersey. That was priceless.

That would be fun to watch again. Vs. aired it enough during the Tour this year too.

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Turd Ferguson said:
...give him a creepy look.

Maybe he learned his lesson and will just be a faithful domestique and collect a pay check year to year w/o messing around again.

Definitely agree on the creepiness.

Can't imagine his ego allowing him to ride as a domestique - that would be like AC or LA lining up for domestique duties ...