• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Anyone here speak Spanish?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Skimmed through it so might have missed something, but looks like the the typical boring interview. Same questions as every single other interview. Even the "headliner quotes" are boring stuff like "I'll never stop being realistic".

Don't bother is my advice :)

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
Skimmed through it so might have missed something, but looks like the the typical boring interview. Same questions as every single other interview. Even the "headliner quotes" are boring stuff like "I'll never stop being realistic".

Don't bother is my advice :)

Thanks, that was very helpful..

Thanks for the Link:

Q=Hay deportistas que tienen voluntad de ser algo más, de convertirse en personajes; de ellos se dice que tienen carisma, que son ídolos… ¿A usted no le fascinaría convertirse en un personaje, en algo más que un chico de Pinto que gana el Tour?
AC=No, no. Yo no quiero nunca dejar de ser persona y hacerme personaje. Tengo una manera de ser bastante sencilla, y es eso lo que quiero. Aunque ahora con las victorias estoy muy en el boom, en ningún momento quiero la vida de glamour de las estrellas. Quiero ser querido por la gente, pero sin tener la obligación de vivir mi vida como un show.

Q=Some athletes have the will to become Icons-full of charisma from those Idols..Wouldn't you like to become an Icon, instead of a regular guy from Pinto who wins the Tour?

AC=I never want to stop being myself just to become an Icon. I am a very humble person, and that's all I want to be. Although with all the victories, it brings this kind of "boom", but I'm not seeking that sort of "glamour" from being a Star-I want to be loved by the people without being obligated to live my life like a "showman"

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
A cool blurb..."Alberto, a normal kid, pulls up in his black Audi Q7 and alights, sixty-two kilos of bone and dynamite..." After that opening, nothing original or interesting that I could glean.

I speak spanish (mother language) and you don't miss anything, the interview is boring, arribas is a good journalist but here he wants to pull alberto to say things about TdF and Lance but Alberto is aware everything he says might be misunderstood (like the admiration thing with Lance) so Alberto prefers to be polite and not say anything but typical clichés, bla, bla

The dialectical war between LA and AC is over guys, by chance!

May 19, 2009
Visit site
Hammerhed said:
A cool blurb..."Alberto, a normal kid, pulls up in his black Audi Q7 and alights, sixty-two kilos of bone and dynamite..." After that opening, nothing original or interesting that I could glean.

well, I didn't know he had a dog named "Tour".

May 5, 2009
Visit site
What the hell, might as well translate a few more parts:

El Pais:When you attack, you seek to be alone...

Alberto: I like to go it alone if I'm at the lead. Whether I prefer going in a group or not depends on the situation. If you're the race leader, sometimes what you want is to go in a group and you're happy with everybody going together. And there are times when you are alone and there's someone ahead which makes you empty yourself [give it your all]. That's what happened to me at Paris-Nice and I didn't like it too much.

El Pais: And then you bonk [at Paris-Nice], which gives Armstrong the opportunity to give you a sermon telling you you still have a lot to learn, when that race didn't mean that much to you, you already had it in your palmares, and you could take the liberty of taking a risk...

Alberto: That's right, you're describing it perfectly. I wanted to win, but I was very happy with my performance. My level of form was very, very high and it felt like a victory to me.

El Pais: You've noticed the changes in the peloton, which seems invaded by new people, by cyclists that only communicate in English, when before the official language was 'Italian- French-Spanish'

Alberto: It's evident. Most riders today speak enough English to carry a on a conversation. You can notice that the American riders are having more and more influence, when before [the peloton] seemed more European.

El Pais: Do you read?

Alberto: No, very little. The time I could dedicate to reading I use to look things up on the internet.

El Pais: Aren't you attracted to what books can give you?

Alberto: No, it's never been that attractive to me. There's one book that helped me a lot, and it still is an important book in my life, Armstrong's book, Every Second Counts [Titled in Spanish My Return to Life, Mi Vuelta a la Vida], where he tells the story of how he beat cancer. I got a lot out of that book. The deal is I'm always from here to there so I don't have time for anything. What I most want to do when I find a little free time is to do nothing at all, enjoy my calm and tranquility, put my feet up on a small table and not think about anything.

El Pais: Do you spend any time with the canaries in your backyard?

Alberto: I've got them at home, in an aviary, which means they don't take much time from me, but not like I used to when I was a kid. What I do have is a dog named Tour, a Weimaraner, a hunting dog that was given to me as a gift by a television station [http://www.lamascota.com/ar/mascotas/perros/razas/todos/braco_de_weimar.htm] and he takes up some of my free time. Animals have always caught my attention.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Its like a comedy/talk show and its all fluff. Talks abt annoying reporters at end, cold races in the spring, the host does most of the talking. Oh yeah, he said he signed with Flaminia Ceramica. ;)

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Just what I picked up

*Danish anthem plays*
*puts hand over heart*

q - I hear when you're resting on your days off you train for 2 hours. What kind of a rest is that?

q-Why is the lycra so tight
a-aerodynamics
q-What do you think about for all those hours on the bike
a-some days you have to really concentrate but you think of all sorts of thing,
q-sex?
a-err laugh
q-of course you can't and stay aerodynamic :D

something about his saddle couldn't figure it out

q-when you train 7 hours you can eat whatever you like?
a-I have a freezer full of ice cream

q-what the thing that makes you suffer the most
a-rain and the cold

q-The Lance thing, you must be sick of being asked...
a-It wasn't a surprise for me I just concentrated on my own thing
q-but you won I bet that was satisfying
a-laugh tentative agreement

q-so..you err...you pee on the move
a-yes it makes things easier
q-easier really?
*To the people*
q-"have you seen the cyclists peeing on the move?"
a-Noooooooooooooo

q-ok show me how it's done
*they get on the stationary bikes*
q-hey alberto one of us will win you know I really need to pee, so what now?
alberto shows him how to pee in the saddle, their specially modified underpants squirt water.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Ah! My favorite subject: Contador! Funny, I was about to post this article myself!

Here's a few excerpts:

El Mundo Reader: I would like your opinion on the mountains of the Giro and the Tour...

Contador: The mountains of the Giro are prettier, they're more for pure climbers, they're steeper. The Tour passes are longer, with more vegetation... In the Giro, every specator knows their cycling...

El Mundo Reader: I saw... Indurain's victories. I saw Armstrong's wins... He did it pretty easily... I see you with more superiority than even Armstrong in his best years... Do you share my opinion?

Contador: No. Armstrong was able to take more than a minute in every mountain pass when he decided to. He had a great team at his disposal.. I, of course, this year, got better gaps than I did in 2007 in the Giro and the Vuelta, but not with as much superiority.

El Mundo Reader: ... Who was your cycling idol when you were young?

Contador: Pantani and Armstrong... I got into cycling pretty late in life...

El Mundo Reader:... About the famous conflict that happened in the past Tour, I was always surprised that the rest of the team (except Leipheimer) didn't say much about the situation. For example, Kloden could have commented the day he got left behind...

Contador: They were being respectful, both to Lance and to me. The problem was there was no ease in my relationship with Lance. All the riders were in an uncomfortable situation on both sides.

TRENDING THREADS