• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

April 30th, Tour de Romandie Stage 4 ITT: Aubonne - Signal-de-Bougy, 20.1km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Nearly said:
Shouldn't that apply to Porte as well? (He seems to be slipping back into early vintage habits.)

I was just joking, but Porte has really been going badly on the climbs this year. I am wondering what the real reason is of why he hasn't been going so well.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
9 Tour de Romandie, Prologue : Martigny I.T.T. 3.5km
15 Vuelta al Pais Vasco, Stage 6 : Zalla - Zalla I.T.T. 24km
15 Critérium International, Stage 3 : Porto-Vecchio I.T.T. 7km
11 Paris - Nice, Stage 6 : Rognes - Aix-en-Provence I.T.T. (27 km
19 Tour of Oman, Stage 5 : Bander Al Jissah I.T.T. 18.5km

He's definetly been solid.
it is solid but i think it's slightly below what i'd expected...

someone asked vino recently, 'did your tting suffer at the expense of climbing improvement since you lost some weight ?' his answer was, 'we will see on saturday'.

indeed vino was climbing exceptionally well in the classics in the steeper terrain.

but this is vino, you can't 'calculate' him :)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
python said:
it is solid but i think it's slightly below what i'd expected...

someone asked vino recently, 'did your tting suffer at the expense of climbing improvement since you lost some weight ?' his answer was, 'we will see on saturday'.

indeed vino was climbing exceptionally well in the classics in the steeper terrain.

but this is vino, you can't 'calculate' him :)

How true. Vino is unpredictable. Who would of predicted him to win yesterday?

Tony-Martin-hat-beim-Zeitfahren-die-Bronzemedaille-gewonnen.jpg

It's gonna be very very interesting today. A lot of talk about Evans and Vino, but riders like Inxausti, Menchov, Brajkovic and Martin ain't that far back either. Specially the last 3 are very very good at time trials.
It's just 30 seconds between Vino and Menchov in 20km that's very possible. Allthough Menchov is very unpredictable just like Vino.

Martin should win this TT and might as well win the GC, allthough 46 seconds might be just too much. Martin is an absolute powerhouse on the TT so it's certainly possible.

Sasquatch said:
Don't rule out Castro to win. It may not suit him that much, but he should figure top 10.

+1. I must admit that I've been rather dissapointed with Castroviejo as I expected him to do well after his win on the prologue, but hopefully he'll make a good result today.

Also excited to see Intxausti today. It's gonna be interesting that's for sure.

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
cadel will get owned by vino... even tho i would hope it the opposite.
it is only 20km & unless vino goes horribly, i cannot see him not taking the lead after this stage.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I fear Martin has this in the bag. But I'd like to see Mensjov testing himself for the Giro. He's the only one that might take it away from Martin imo.
Vino and Evans will be top 10 too. Vino for 3rd Evans 7th. With Vino taking the overall

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Has everyone forgotten that Brutt can tt be than average

Brutt to win

Evans 2nd

Vino 3rd for me GC

Martin

Jacky boy

Evans

For the tt for me

This tt is very important for. Evans to say see I can still race the clock.

He will go all out.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
yeh, theoretically it should be matnin's.

but again, when he attacked yesterday with 3 km to go on a pan cake flat course suiting him to a tee, he should have been able to stay away...

but no, vino single-handedly closed what looked like a rather large gap.

either vino is in super shape or martin has lost some.

python said:
yeh, theoretically it should be matnin's.

but again, when he attacked yesterday with 3 km to go on a pan cake flat course suiting him to a tee, he should have been able to stay away...

but no, vino single-handedly closed what looked like a rather large gap.

either vino is in super shape or martin has lost some.

Vino is a lot more punchy then Tony. He can produce high wattage numbers for a short period. Soo it's not really a suprsie that Vino was able to close the gap. Once he was on Martin's whell he just wheel - sucked. No way he could have made it to the finish line on his own.

Big Tony will destroy Vino today. Don't worry. But 46 seconds is a lot maybe too much for 20k

Tony_TT_500.jpg

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
yea, vino is punchier than martin, but look at the stage finish again. the point was that the gap was rather large. vino went probably from 50 km/h to 55-57/kmh for a long time...it was 1 km pursuit tt of it's own. i doubt vino would close on canc if he lost his wheel for so long. we'll see rather soon.

python said:
yea, vino is punchier than martin, but look at the stage finish again. the point was that the gap was rather large. vino went probably from 50 km/h to 55-57/kmh for a long time...it was 1 km pursuit tt of it's own. i doubt vino would close on canc if he lost his wheel for so long. we'll see rather soon.

Yeah cause Tony is not Cancellara. Tony is very good for a short distance like 3km. But not extraordinary like Cance. Vino has always been very punchy for such finals. Just think of Paris 2005.
And today theay are riding on TT bikes. Huge difference. Tonys position on the bike is extraordinary, Vinos isn't.

python said:
It's easier to close a gap than to maintain one. Vino probably exhausted himself completely closing that gap, and then he rested on Tony Martin's wheel for a while until he launched his sprint. Tony Martin was the strongest in my opinion. Just like when Vinokourov won champs elysee when he took advantage of Cancellara's attack, but Cancellara was the strongest.

Bavarianrider said:
Yeah cause Tony is not Cancellara. Tony is very good for a short distance like 3km. But not extraordinary like Cance. Vino has always been very punchy for such finals. Just think of Paris 2005.
And today theay are riding on TT bikes. Huge difference. Tonys position on the bike is extraordinary, Vinos isn't.
You forgot to add a Tony Martin picture to your post.

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
This looks like a good course for Pinotti, actually. I'll go with him for the surprise overall victory.

I wouldn't be surprised at all. He was third in the difficult tt's of Oman and País Vasco. My overall favourite for today.