• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

April 30th, Tour de Romandie Stage 4 ITT: Aubonne - Signal-de-Bougy, 20.1km

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Libertine Seguros said:
I think Luís León was the prize item in the Caisse d'Epargne yard sale when it looked like the side was going to the wall. I think negotiations had gone too far with Rabobank to justify turning back when Unzué brought Telefonica on board. You could say there's a clinic side to things (he was implicated in the Jesús Losa thing a couple of years ago of course), but he really just doesn't look happy or comfortable at Rabo. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up leaving fairly quickly. Maybe even scuttling back to Unzué - just like Cobo going back to Matxín after his dismal year with Caisse.
I don't think Luis Leon is doing much worse at Rabo than he was before, it's only in the time trials that he really sucks right now. He was always slightly overrated (I remember you even mentioned him as Rabo's strongest rider :eek:) but so far he hasn't really been able to shine in any tactically clever moves, which is where most of his wins came from, but which is not something Rabo are very good at.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
theyoungest said:
I don't think Luis Leon is doing much worse at Rabo than he was before, it's only in the time trials that he really sucks right now. He was always slightly overrated (I remember you even mentioned him as Rabo's strongest rider :eek:) but so far he hasn't really been able to shine in any tactically clever moves, which is where most of his wins came from, but which is not something Rabo are very good at.

I believe a time trial is a pretty good indicator of someones overall form. Especially for someone who is reasonably good at ITT.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:

1st Overall, Tour Méditerranéen
1st Overall, Paris–Nice
1st Stage 7
1st Stage 1 Tour du Haut Var
5th Overall Vuelta al País Vasco
1st Stage 1

1st Overall, Circuit de la Sarthe
1st Stage 1
2nd Overall Volta ao Algarve
1st Stage 5 (ITT)
2nd Overall Tour Down Under
1st Stage 5
2nd Overall Paris–Nice
4th Overall Volta a Catalunya

Overrated my ***. His spring seasons from 2009 and 2010 are better than what most of the Rabo riders have achieved in the spring season.

Bavarianrider said:
If Evans can keep this form till July, he'll be a big favorite for the Tour!
Why?
What has he shown in high mountains so far? We have no idea. Only hills (tirreno) and very easy climbs (romandie)...
The only mountain he did so far, in Catalunya, he lost 50 seconds...

Besides his ITT in both Tirreno and here were good, but not super.
He'll need a lot more in the Tour.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Both Andy and Frank Schleck have shown better form to be honest. Contador as well, putting 50 seconds into Evans in a relatively easy mountain finish. That would be 3 minutes on Alpe Dhuez.

Last year Cuddles got dropped by Gilbert on the Saint Nicholas. This year Frank easily followed Gilbert's acceleration on the Saint Nicholas while Andy was dropped(Andy is Andy, can only peak 2 times in one season and his biggest peak will be in July). Sure Saint Nicholas is a short hill, but it's certainly a better indication than Romandie(this edition), especially considering the competition at LBL is always higher than at Romandie.

Plus he's actually fresh while a lot of the guys he's facing now already had quite the busy season.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Why?
What has he shown in high mountains so far? We have no idea. Only hills (tirreno) and very easy climbs (romandie)...
The only mountain he did so far, in Catalunya, he lost 50 seconds...

Besides his ITT in both Tirreno and here were good, but not super.
He'll need a lot more in the Tour.

I think Cuddles has shown more than any other Tour contender barring the 2 great Spaniards (one of whom may not be there).

TA and Romandie thats awesome. And we know he can climb based on form from years past. What hes showing this year is consistency though that probably wont mean much for the Tour.

He messed up Tour 09 and 10 but showed awesomness elsewhere both times. If he manages to direct this awesomness at July this year he will be up there.

And 34 might be getting on in age but its just, just about still ok.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Tuarts said:
Wow Cadel...you'll get 5 seconds of media attention in Aus now!

Still, he's on track for another great year, he'll be high up on the rankings again.

Yeah:rolleyes:. He'll get a 5 sentence article on the back page of the sport

I'm quite happy with his position on the tt bike

Tirreno
PIC183059770.jpg

Romandie
SPTDW514.jpg

SPTDW512.jpg

Seems to be getting further down and more forward.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Plus he's actually fresh while a lot of the guys he's facing now already had quite the busy season.

Fresh but with very few race miles and coming off an injury.

Catalunya was a test race to see how things were going ... AC always goes into this race to win.

Sure he is not one of the best climbers but sometimes you don't have to be to win a GC.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Yeah:rolleyes:. He'll get a 5 sentence article on the back page of the sport

I'm quite happy with his position on the tt bike

Seems to be getting further down and more forward.

Looked to be using a higher cadence today than in the past too.

hrotha said:
You rate Samu's season over Cadel's?

Actually probably not. I should have said that the only 2 that come close (from Tour contenders) are the 2 spaniards. Even Pistoleros Catalunia and Murcia or whatever arent all that.

But what Samu has going for him is this.

Rank Prev. Rider Team Date of birth CQ
1. (4) GILBERT Philippe OLO 05/07/1982 1313
2. (12) SCARPONI Michele LAM 25/09/1979 841
3. (64) GOSS Matthew THR 05/11/1986 808
4. (9) CANCELLARA Fabian LEO 18/03/1981 784
5. (85) KLÖDEN Andreas RSH 22/06/1975 772
6. (8) SANCHEZ GONZALEZ Samuel EUS 05/02/1978 766
7. (2) CONTADOR VELASCO Alberto SBS 06/12/1982 621
8. (35) VOECKLER Thomas EUC 22/06/1979 594
9. (11) GESINK Robert RAB 31/05/1986 593
10. (39) ROJAS GIL Jose Joaquin MOV 08/06/1985 592
11. (25) MARTIN Tony THR 23/04/1985 563
12. (7) FARRAR Tyler GRM 02/06/1984 555
13. (21) SCHLECK Fränk LEO 15/04/1980 504
14. (57) CUNEGO Damiano LAM 19/09/1981 474
15. (59) TONDO VOLPINI Xavier MOV 05/11/1978 472
16. (3) RODRIGUEZ OLIVER Joaquin KAT 12/05/1979 470
17. (22) VISCONTI Giovanni FAR 13/01/1983 468
18. (88) VENTOSO ALBERDI Francisco Jose MOV 06/05/1982 457
19. (6) EVANS Cadel BMC 14/02/1977 443

Though add his 250 points in Romandie and Cadel is up there.

Also Samu clearly sucked bad in PN and PB - well below form anyway and yet still managed 4th and 6th. We know this because he got outdescended by a teammate.

The 2 times he has shown form - Mig and FW, hes been id say perhaps as impressive as Cuddles.

Also, what happened to Cunego?

El Pistolero said:
Both Andy and Frank Schleck have shown better form to be honest. Contador as well, putting 50 seconds into Evans in a relatively easy mountain finish. That would be 3 minutes on Alpe Dhuez.

Last year Cuddles got dropped by Gilbert on the Saint Nicholas. This year Frank easily followed Gilbert's acceleration on the Saint Nicholas while Andy was dropped(Andy is Andy, can only peak 2 times in one season and his biggest peak will be in July). Sure Saint Nicholas is a short hill, but it's certainly a better indication than Romandie(this edition), especially considering the competition at LBL is always higher than at Romandie.

He then pulled Gilbert back though.

TRENDING THREADS