Are guys like Tony Martin clean??

Apr 27, 2010
343
0
0
25yr old Tony Martin does the lions share and more of the work controlling the TOC stage to Big Bear Lake, and then destroys the time trial for a large margin victory. I like this guy, but daaamn he can suffer more than anyone. I can't help it I'm seeing dopers everywhere I turn!!

nevermind, just watched the official Tony Martin video, and he is actually a policeman, I'm guessing a German policeman?? how did that happen, he is part cop part bike racer??? please tell me he patrols Berlin on a hybrid bike in the winter, with a gun and baton..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKSNoHiJyLs
 
He does not actually work as a policeman. However, he has completed his education and training to become a member of the German Bundespolezei, so that he will have a profession to fall back on when he stops cycling.

Whether he receives a financial subsidy from them or is on a leave of absence, I do not know.

Susan
 
May 6, 2009
8,524
1
0
santacruz said:
25yr old Tony Martin does the lions share and more of the work controlling the TOC stage to Big Bear Lake, and then destroys the time trial for a large margin victory. I like this guy, but daaamn he can suffer more than anyone. I can't help it I'm seeing dopers everywhere I turn!!

nevermind, just watched the official Tony Martin video, and he is actually a policeman, I'm guessing a German policeman?? how did that happen, he is part cop part bike racer??? please tell me he patrols Berlin on a hybrid bike in the winter, with a gun and baton..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKSNoHiJyLs
I'm pretty sure Tony Martin is a full time cyclist. As for the first part of your post, I hope he and HTC - Columbia team mates are clean, since they shout from the rooftops on how clean they are (more so Cav then anybody else).
 
May 15, 2010
833
0
0
craig1985 said:
I'm pretty sure Tony Martin is a full time cyclist. As for the first part of your post, I hope he and HTC - Columbia team mates are clean, since they shout from the rooftops on how clean they are (more so Cav then anybody else).
And as we all know by now, we can always trust them, especially when they shout it from the rooftops....
 
Apr 27, 2010
343
0
0
Hrm, Tony Martin says it is very important to listen to techno music, or something with good beats, when you are training.. I never listen to music when I am riding, perhaps that is why I suck so bad?? But I am worried I wont hear a giant truck coming up close next to me if I have Tony Martin's techno mix bumping in my ear phones...
 
Oct 16, 2009
3,868
0
0
Clean or not, it's hard to say, but it's a real shame he'll spend the Tour as Cavendish's plough horse. Didn't they even say he'd be marking Hushovd in the mountain stages? It sounds like a ridiculous waste of talent, but then I guess HTC doesn't really care who wins, as long as it's Cavendi--err, I mean someone on the team.
 
Nov 17, 2009
221
0
0
Cancellara and Andy baffled me more. I mean month before Fabian would have won that TT with a road bike. This is what clean Fabian can do? And Andy being dropped like a rock on the climbs :confused: And in July he's dropping everyone else but AC? This is just ridiculous
 
Apr 11, 2009
2,250
0
0
wattage said:
Cancellara and Andy baffled me more. I mean month before Fabian would have won that TT with a road bike. This is what clean Fabian can do? And Andy being dropped like a rock on the climbs :confused: And in July he's dropping everyone else but AC? This is just ridiculous
Agree. This is very odd.

And Levi looks like he's lost some of his top end, and Horner is not exactly on fire like he was in Spain a while back.

Maybe the UCI have been ramping up the blood profile stuff. Are there informal warnings given, or indications of interest in certain profiles, with notice given to teams? (To pre-empt later positives and to save cycling's image: remember UCI is in a conflict of interest as both the regualtor/tester and promoter of the sport).

Of course, this might be blood withdrawal time for later use in the Tour. Seems early. Thought it always used to be done around the time of the Dauphine.

But Cancellara's placing in the TT was bizarre. These guys lose some of their top end, but they shouldn't be losing their core power/FTP by a whole lot.
 
Apr 26, 2010
325
0
0
santacruz said:
25yr old Tony Martin does the lions share and more of the work controlling the TOC stage to Big Bear Lake, and then destroys the time trial for a large margin victory. I like this guy, but daaamn he can suffer more than anyone. I can't help it I'm seeing dopers everywhere I turn!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKSNoHiJyLs
Remember Mont Ventoux last year during the Tour? That was suffering as I haven't seen in a long time. However, I do agree with most posters here....Can't convince myself he, and HTC are as clean as they say they are. If it came out Cav was doping though, all hell would break loose :p Who can we trust then if our superman anti-doper honest hard-working Manxman is on the fluid? ;)
 
Jul 7, 2009
48
0
0
Cancellara's target was the Ronde and Paris-Roubaix so I'm not surprised if that was his target peak. I'd actually be more surprised if he were holding his peak this far into the season. Same thing with Andy, he's targeting a July peak so not surprising if he's not killing people in May. Now, if he were killing it from Feb through July in races like ToC, Paris Nice, Tour de Georgia and the TdF then I'd be surprised. I wonder who's done that before...


wattage said:
Cancellara and Andy baffled me more. I mean month before Fabian would have won that TT with a road bike. This is what clean Fabian can do? And Andy being dropped like a rock on the climbs :confused: And in July he's dropping everyone else but AC? This is just ridiculous
 
Whoa, barely any posts in this thread. :confused:

We're talking about a guy who...

- scored a 7/10 on that UCI doping suspicion list ("overwhelming evidence of some kind of doping" according to L'Equipe)
- has about equaled Cancellara's career best TT performances
- was the fastest ever at the Worlds, on a technical course at that
- is perhaps still not at his peak
 
El Imbatido said:
Although this thread dates back to around the Giro in 2010....so none of this stuff had actually happened yet.
Right, but I couldn't find any other Clinic thread with "Tony Martin" in the title.

Seems to me that this guy gets a pass, but I'm not sure why, though. Almost no one mentions him in "obvious dopers" type threads, either.
 
May 26, 2010
28,144
2
0
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Right, but I couldn't find any other Clinic thread with "Tony Martin" in the title.

Seems to me that this guy gets a pass, but I'm not sure why, though. Almost no one mentions him in "obvious dopers" type threads, either.
He attended a 'sports school' in East Germany. He is a former Gerolsteiner trainee and rode for Och's rabble of T-Mobile ex riders and HTC team which is like BMC - ex Phonak, ie names dont change what a team is.

Tony Martin Juiced? That wouldn't be far fetched.
 
Sep 5, 2009
1,239
0
0
Mrs John Murphy said:
When he isn't shooting gypsies...

Son of T-Mob are as dirty as they come in the current peloton.
I thought the PC term in the UK was to call gypsies travellers/travelers?

Notice that one of the travelling felons claiming civil damages from wounding by Mr. Martin was caught riding a bike. Makes it relevant to the CN forum.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS