• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Are stationary trainers safe for your frame ?

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Hi All,

First post here, be gentle....

Winter is approaching and I am thinking about trainers. I have only owned & ridden rollers in the past but this year I am seriously thinking about a traditional stationary trainer. This is primarily because I would like to maintain as much of my current strength as possible over the winter.
We had a rainy Sunday last week and I dragged out my rollers to ride in front of the TV. I have no name rollers with the TACX magnetic resistance unit. I was very surprised to be crushing the resistance unit in gears that were pretty difficult for me in Feb/March. This is a good thing. However, I have always steered clear of stationary trainers because I thought they might be putting too much stress on my frame (CAAD9). Is there a consensus as to how safe stationary trainers are for frames ? I don't want to hear about what pro rides what trainer....pros don't pay for their bikes.....my CAAD9 is the most expensive toy I own. I would like to be able to do standing intervals but if it's overstressing my frame then I'll explore other options.

Thanks,

J.

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
I have read artciles that there are less stresses on your frame on a trainer than out on a ride, I'm not sure how true that is but for an anecdotal view I've been using mine for 18 months and had no issues.

I am a little bit careful i.e. I don't deliberately try and put any side stressses on the bike, when I'm out of the saddle I stay in a perpendicular range of motion.

I love the trainer, I reckon it has been responsible for the single biggest improvement in my racing (equipment wise) since I have had it.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I used to have trouble with rear axels breaking 10 years ago but now they are OK

I use old bike permanently set up on the trainer it is a cannondale cad 5 and no problems with that . the fluid trainers are best workout they give you a hard ride simliar to road.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
In the olden days (like about 15 or so years ago) one of the biggest issues with stationary trainers was sweat on steel frames and components causing rust.

This has obvioulsy changed with more syntetic materials but it is still something to consider. you still need to clean and care for your bike indoors. I recommend using a sweat guard - I know that Tacx make one because I have it but I am sure that most other manufacturers make good ones too.

Regarding the frame and lateral stresses. you mention out of saddle intervals but its this climbing style or are you meaning sprints? Climbing should be absolutely fine on your frame provided you have correctly mounted your axle (consider getting an indoor trainer specific quick release lever if you have any doubts on that). Sprinting will depend upon your technique. If you have a Zabel style that is quite linear then again you would have no problem. If you have an Abdou style then you could potentially damage things including the bearings in the trainer itself. (that is an educateed guess though rather than a statement of fact)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
JoeOxfordCT said:
I was concerned primarily when doing standing climbing intervals...which means approx. 60 rpms at medium intensity.

You won't have the slightest problem with most trainers (disclaimer - well, you might but thats not my fault) doing that type of training.

I have a Tacx Fortius and have used it for the last 3 years including doing standing and sitting sprint efforts up to and beyond 1000W without any obvious issues with my bike itself. The reason I asked the question above was that I have a pretty clean sprinting style so the forces don't hurl the bike around too much.

Anyway I have also done things using the Video training like riding up the various famous French alpine climbs without issues. Such as climbing Ventoux or Huez for upwards of half an hour to an hour in and out of the saddle.

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Well I had converted my rollers into home-made free motion rollers ala Krazy Derek in Canada. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAvVcNxGlR0 but even though I got them to work I still felt like I was spending more energy balancing and not falling off rather than on getting stronger out of the saddle. I have since dismantled the free motion part and am back to just riding plain rollers.
Now I am reading some things that say that running either single or dual flywheels on rollers (ala Kreitlers) makes it easier to do standing climbing intervals as there is no lag in the pedal stroke caused by the slower cadence of standing. The flywheels smooth out the rough spot. I may try this. I am just nervous about locking my frame in a stationary trainer.....:eek:

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
Kurt Kinetics makes a stationary trainer that will solve your dilema. It is quite expensive (IMO). I rode one at a fitness expo where they tracked 5 minutes of power output. I stood up and rocked and cranked as hard as I could (being 220lbs, I would normally never crank like that on a stationary trainer). At no point did I feel like I was stressing the bike any more than when on the rode (or rollers).

http://www.amazon.com/KURT-KINETIC-ROCK-FLUID-TRAINER/dp/B001K0TJKQ