• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong - 5 Types of Forum Posters

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Broad observations follow. Feel free to add more types.

Type 1 - The Rational Poster
The majority of posters believe the Uniballer dopes and base their views on the overwhelming circumstantial evidence. They don't think LA is the only doper and recognise the underlying and long, long culture of doping in professional cycling.

Type 2 - Just Plain Angry
A few believe the Uniballer is a doper and base their views on their personal sense of jealously, memories of being teased at school, feeling wronged by society etc.

Type 3 - The Fanboy
A few believe he is innocent despite the overwhelming circumstantial evidence and fall within the Fanboy description. Their judgement is clouded by personal emotional investment in the Lance story.

Type 4 - The Principled
A few believe in applying the rule of law to their personal judgement and therefore believe him to be innocent until proven guilty. This is about their sense of ethics, and so they are distinguishable from the fanboys.

Type 5 - The Don't Cares
These posters think he dopes but couldn't care less. They just want to enjoy the specatacle of top-level, 100% committed athletes beating the cr@p out of themselves on the muddy pave and in the high mountains.

ravens

BANNED
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I will put myself somewhere between Type 1 and Type 6.

Type 6: The bemused. He's an a-hole, a fraud and a liar but it's really not the center of my universe, or even near it. I loved him when he was winning, came to despise him in 2009 and now get to love to watch him mutter to himself like the grumpy old geezer at the back of my local bike shop who's been wrenching bikes for 50 years. I don't even know if they pay the sumbeach, he's just always there muttering about something or other not being like the good ole days. I see him and say 'Don't get like that when you get old.'

I don't see many, if any, 2's and 4's.

I cannot think of anyone who thinks that Armstrong doped but does not acknowledge that doping is rampant and most, if not all, GT contenders that competed against him were also doping.

The 4's all seem like 3's who are rationalizing their refusal to admit someone doped. The prime example is dbrower and his pathetic TBV crew.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
There are some of us who were fans of the comeback, but then we saw things. I had a positive blog about him that I stopped around Tour of California time. I'm unemployed, and blogged because I like to write, and it helped pass the time. But I'd pay attention to things he'd say, and later he'd either change the story or not follow through. The guy lies a lot. Anyway, I lost respect for him and stopped being a fan. It had nothing to do with my personal history, or jealousy, or whether or not he cheated in the seven Tour years.

By the end of the 2009 Tour, he and his pal had not only been total blanks to Contador, but they manipulated the press to help assassinate Contador's character. I would have gladly just ignored the guy, but the English language press were willing to print anything, and there weren't that many of us speaking up for Contador.

Lance got pretty crazy there in the interview he spoon fed to Het Nieuwsblad, accusing Contador of being a liar and the Spanish press of printing his lies. He pretty much projected everything he himself had dome wrong onto Alberto. I also think he got feedback from here, because people said he'd go down this year like Tiger, and he put that on Contador.

Once Bruyneel contradicted him in Marca about the TT wheel and what I called Wheel Gate, and the true story came out, and Alberto finally spoke up for himself, Armstrong stopped slinging mud, and I stopped caring about him. Like I said, I have no opinion on whether he cheated in the old days. But Cycling News got the Morkeberg link from my twitter, and the blood values looked really suspicious, and I hope like hell the French police investigation is ongoing. But as for his personal life, I don't care. I don't consider his 2010 racing relevant. And I think that people who promote the "rivalry" without racing have something to gain by the myth.

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
ok, but what about type one who raced, knows it cause he saw (and may have done it regrettably)and is above all a six?

I'm a six, and if I weren't I wouldn't be here on this forum...

BroDeal said:

I cannot think of anyone who thinks that Armstrong doped but does not acknowledge that doping is rampant and most, if not all, GT contenders that competed against him were also doping.

The 4's all seem like 3's who are rationalizing their refusal to admit someone doped. The prime example is dbrower and his pathetic TBV crew.

Trust but verify ... LMAO!

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Maybe I would consider myself number 1. I'm mainly interested in the cycling side of things, I don't care too much what he writes in twitter, how many kids that he has and passing judgement etc.

Only interested in the doping side of things, his whinging about Contador, his riding, they are the main important things to me.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Type 4 - The Principled
A few believe in applying the rule of law to their personal judgement and therefore believe him to be innocent until proven guilty. This is about their sense of ethics, and so they are distinguishable from the fanboys.

Type 5 - The Don't Cares
These posters think he dopes but couldn't care less. They just want to enjoy the specatacle of top-level, 100% committed athletes beating the cr@p out of themselves on the muddy pave and in the high mountains.

I like him because he is a winner. Simple as that.

I don't think he is a very nice man. So what who cares what I think. I can't change Lance.

Contador is a far superior human being to Lance. At this time Lance can not touch Contador sports wise.

ravens said:
I will put myself somewhere between Type 1 and Type 6.

Type 6: The bemused. He's an a-hole, a fraud and a liar but it's really not the center of my universe, or even near it. I loved him when he was winning, came to despise him in 2009 and now get to love to watch him mutter to himself like the grumpy old geezer at the back of my local bike shop who's been wrenching bikes for 50 years. I don't even know if they pay the sumbeach, he's just always there muttering about something or other not being like the good ole days. I see him and say 'Don't get like that when you get old.'

Hah, you already are.:D

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
laziali said:
Broad observations follow. Feel free to add more types.

Type 1 - The Rational Poster
The majority of posters believe the Uniballer dopes and base their views on the overwhelming circumstantial evidence. They don't think LA is the only doper and recognise the underlying and long, long culture of doping in professional cycling.

Type 2 - Just Plain Angry
A few believe the Uniballer is a doper and base their views on their personal sense of jealously, memories of being teased at school, feeling wronged by society etc.

Type 3 - The Fanboy
A few believe he is innocent despite the overwhelming circumstantial evidence and fall within the Fanboy description. Their judgement is clouded by personal emotional investment in the Lance story.

Type 4 - The Principled

Type 5 - The Don't Cares

Type 6 - respect the man for cheating death and i NOW realize the characteristics i despise were necessary for him to not only survive but also call it beforehand. this is a recent revelation for me, unfortunately.....

p959756284-4.jpg

ed rader

erader said:
Type 6 - respect the man for cheating death and i NOW realize the characteristics i despise were necessary for him to not only survive but also call it beforehand. this is a recent revelation for me, unfortunately.....

That is a bunch of crap. The only thing required to survive cancer is good luck.

Back to the OP, I don't think #2 even exists except in the minds of trolls like Speedway and the other losers who periodically come here to complain about people dissing LA.

BroDeal said:
That is a bunch of crap. The only thing required to survive cancer is good luck.

Back to the OP, I don't think #2 even exists except in the minds of trolls like Speedway and the other losers who periodically come here to complain about people dissing LA.

The #2s are differentiated from the #1s only in the minds of the #3s who don't want to believe that there exists factual evidence that their hero has, and does, dope.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
erader said:

Fact is that cheating death is not that unusual thanks to modern medicine, I can understand why people would respect him for winning the Tour seven times. That is hard. That is impressive. But beating Cancer? Everyone and their mother (and my mother) can do that. Sure a lot of people don't survive, but that has more to do with the skill of the doctors, the kind of cancer, the time of detection and just plain old luck than with any admirable (or unadmirable) characteristics in the Cancer patient. I'm not sure what characteristics exactly you used to despise in him, but really: Do you have any basis for thinking that these characteristics were relevant let alone instrumental to his survival? Any basis at all?

BroDeal said:

SwiftSolo liked to think he was. When in reality, he wanted to have Lance's babies.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
i dont think it is a good idea to put members in compartments even if done with care and w/o names.

when a member chooses to voluntarily self identifying with a group then thats ok.

me? i recognize the reality, his intellect and athletic pluses but my dislike for armstrong reached the limit last year when his treatment of berto was downright digusting and treacherous. to the point that i dont care if someone will call me a hater. i most certainly was not 9 months ago.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Armstrong-5 types of forum posters

Do any of you actually ride a bike or have had cancer? Did any of you race on a bike for longer than one race? Bike racing is hard and cancer is both life threatening and frightening to those who have had it and have survived. Get real. Armstrong may or not have doped but he is still innocent until proved guilty which is the basis of law. He is also a person who is doing what he can to support the fight against cancer. Yes modern medicine helped him but what would you do when faced with this problem?

JTPato said:
Do any of you actually ride a bike or have had cancer? Did any of you race on a bike for longer than one race? Bike racing is hard and cancer is both life threatening and frightening to those who have had it and have survived. Get real. Armstrong may or not have doped but he is still innocent until proved guilty which is the basis of law. He is also a person who is doing what he can to support the fight against cancer. Yes modern medicine helped him but what would you do when faced with this problem?

When I finished my treatment I did not decide to live a life of fraud and lies like he did.

We are not in a court of law. In the court of reality he has been proved guilty. There was artificial EPO in six of his urine samples. He is as guilty as FLandis.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
JTPato said:

crying-baby-giant-eyes1.jpg

I am pretty sure if you bothered to read any other threads you would know that many/most of the forum member have raced, and if not the have ridden bikes for years.

Get Real?

Armstrong has doped, he is protected by a corrupt governing body he has perpetuated doping culture in cycling, he has maligned his competitors character and in reality he has done little in the fight against cancer. Yes there are the story of how the LAF has helped individuals, some on this forum. The money he is earning in appearance fees goes into his pocket, and getting real for a moment, how many people lack 'awareness' of cancer? everyone is aware of it, ergo, you are better off giving your money to a treatment/care charity than one which spends it money on Lance's private jet.

Big GMaC said:
crying-baby-giant-eyes1.jpg

I am pretty sure if you bothered to read any other threads you would know that many/most of the forum member have raced, and if not the have ridden bikes for years.

Get Real?

Armstrong has doped, he is protected by a corrupt governing body he has perpetuated doping culture in cycling, he has maligned his competitors character and in reality he has done little in the fight against cancer. Yes there are the story of how the LAF has helped individuals, some on this forum. The money he is earning in appearance fees goes into his pocket, and getting real for a moment, how many people lack 'awareness' of cancer? everyone is aware of it, ergo, you are better off giving your money to a treatment/care charity than one which spends it money on Lance's private jet.

Hey! I never heard of cancer until Lance told me about it :eek:

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Cerberus said:
Fact is that cheating death is not that unusual thanks to modern medicine, I can understand why people would respect him for winning the Tour seven times. That is hard. That is impressive. But beating Cancer? Everyone and their mother (and my mother) can do that. Sure a lot of people don't survive, but that has more to do with the skill of the doctors, the kind of cancer, the time of detection and just plain old luck than with any admirable (or unadmirable) characteristics in the Cancer patient. I'm not sure what characteristics exactly you used to despise in him, but really: Do you have any basis for thinking that these characteristics were relevant let alone instrumental to his survival? Any basis at all?

I suppose Lance being in a position to afford the best doctors, medicine etc. would help?

A

Anonymous

I just want the guy to freaking retire. All he is doing now is riding for marketing purposes because he has a lot of elliptical trainers to sell. He doped, he is an a$$hole, I will not buy anything with his little yellow band, or "Livestrong," or anything associated with the man. Now I just wish he would go away. I am sick of seeing him, hearing about him, and discussing him.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
I went from 3 (Fanboy) in 1999 when I just wanted a better TDF than in 1998, and here maybe was a clean winner, to 1 by 2000 or 2001 when I thought hang-on this bloke couldn't climb pre-1999. By win 4 or 5 I thought it had become a joke. Also for me 5 was the magic number, Anquetil, Merckx, Hinault and Indurain had all failed to get six, and here was someone with seemingly less talent sailing on to 7.

TRENDING THREADS