• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong admits doping (essentially)?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

Benotti69 said:
wouldn't surprise me if LA was speaking in such a manner to rile his critics.

sociopath like him would get such a kick from it.

then again, that wouldnt surprise me either.

There are a lot of strange things going on right now, Im starting to be pretty convinced that something huge is about to happen.

The last 3 or 4 days there have been a lot of rumblings on the net and in the media. Not so much what people are saying, but their behaviour and its been fascinating to watch. Livestrong and Lance going on a major twitter blocking spree (and a major adding spree as well), a lot of the more outspoken people on the net have been receiving attention, journo's all seem a little more vocal..And theres an awful lot of PR appearing from mainly the Lance side, but also the other side as well. its almost like two sides are quietly building their armies whilst sending out a few scouting parties prior to battle.

Somethings going on. I just wish I knew for the life of me what it was. :confused:

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
skippy said:
Took a while to catch up but Lance deserves respect from all but the JUDGE on his throne When and only when he is in the dock of a Court of LAW not of opinion, conjecture or innuendo !

CAPICE ?

This is not a Court of Law - if you can only base your opinions on what gets decided by a Judge then you should not visit a public forum.

To 95RMPs point - quite simply no, there is nothing in todays comments.

But he did make a pretty big slip up in a reply to Juliet Macur back in May when asked if the FDA were investigating - 9:20 in this video.
Why would Novitzky have anything to do with what an athlete does in Europe?

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:

There are a lot of strange things going on right now, Im starting to be pretty convinced that something huge is about to happen.

The last 3 or 4 days there have been a lot of rumblings on the net and in the media. Not so much what people are saying, but their behaviour and its been fascinating to watch. Livestrong and Lance going on a major twitter blocking spree (and a major adding spree as well), a lot of the more outspoken people on the net have been receiving attention, journo's all seem a little more vocal..And theres an awful lot of PR appearing from mainly the Lance side, but also the other side as well. its almost like two sides are quietly building their armies whilst sending out a few scouting parties prior to battle.

Somethings going on. I just wish I knew for the life of me what it was. :confused:

Could it be that Lance is racing in a couple days at the TdU?
His last international race ever:(
I know, we have heard that before - but I think this time he MEANS it.

BTW, is the race going to be available to watch in the USA?
They are not going to finish the stages in the middle of the night again, are they?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:

rest assured. the bang will be big. balco-size.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
My question stands. What else might he be talking about? I'm serious.

Here's just one of many for you: Letting Marco Pantani win the Ventoux stage (and/or telling the world he did so when he didn't really). Either way, that would be a MASSIVE regret for me looking back at my cycling history.

Another - chasing Simeoni down.

Another - the stupid crashes last year

Another - any of the numerous dumb comments he made such as the 'he has a lot to learn'

The list is ENDLESS. All sportspeople have such demons in their past that niggle at them. Its what drives many comeback.

This thread is apalling. There is nothing in that press conference that even remotely comes close to a partial admission of doping. Even if you were to use google translate it to convert it to Chinese, then that to Greek, then that to French, and back from that into English through German, you still wouldn't end up with any text that pointed to a possible admission.

Polish said:
Could it be that Lance is racing in a couple days at the TdU?
His last international race ever:(
I know, we have heard that before - but I think this time he MEANS it.

You remind me of those Logitech Revue commercials with Kevin Bacon playing a guy who is obsessed with...Kevin Bacon.

Let me paraphrase some of it for you-

Polish-"You know, my parole officer says that if I watch anymore Lance Armstrong videos, I may turn into...Lance Armstrong!!!"-as he crosses fingers and prays to the good Lord above...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyQb192-CPQ

Polish said:
BTW, is the race going to be available to watch in the USA?
They are not going to finish the stages in the middle of the night again, are they?

Why? Will it cut into the time you spend howling at the Moon?

Martin318is said:
This thread is appalling. There is nothing in that press conference that even remotely comes close to a partial admission of doping. Even if you were to use Google translate it to convert it to Chinese, then that to Greek, then that to French, and back from that into English through German, you still wouldn't end up with any text that pointed to a possible admission.

Cool, it worked! You must be a wizard or something... It does read like an admission after carefully following the proposed Martin318 method and editing for clarity:

I used doping in cycling to promote the limits of man.

with no worry about doping or a positive doping test

I can not say no so I say yes!

But I try more than any other sport using exercise products.

I know the specifications to control the movements that requires just as much or more are positive factors.

the South Australian Barossa Valley wine region press conference before the start of the Tour Down Sunday.

the season is not nostalgic.

We sit here and think about it.

I was wrong, I have something against me.

and hope my legacy is one of a wheel revolution.

I have the Tour de France seven times because we people do business charged on the bike.

We dance and go about the problem.

But the reality is we use a new way for the sport.

We have completely changed the way of training people, to build the morale of the team, to see the lessons of the game, to sell sports, to tell the art to the world.

I go, I know I did my best, and only needed someone who gave very nice levels to me, this is a very good experience.

Conclusive.

:rolleyes:

Agreed on the lame thread. Reads like a Flicker Post, maybe Lance is trying to sound more like his favorite groupie?

I think the most interesting thing here is the whole tone of the article, a year ago any reporter (at the TDU in australia) asking lance about drugs at a press conference would have been ridiculed and then jackbooted out of the room by heavy handed cancer minders. (we don't like to treat our guests "rudely", just ask the greens)

In 2009 he came to australia amid a lot of fanfare like some popstar and all we heard was "Lance on Australian Cancer mission, will cure cancer in australia" etc etc etc

Now it's doping doping doping.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
leftover pie said:
In 2009 he came to australia amid a lot of fanfare like some popstar and all we heard was "Lance on Australian Cancer mission, will cure cancer in australia" etc etc etc

Now it's doping doping doping.

Yes, in 2011 its "doping doping doping".
Along with the popstar fanfare, SRO twitter ride, and the $2,000,000 fee.

Gosh, the more things change, the more they stay the same lol.

swordsman,thanks for the Holzer interview

Average production costs for a package of anabolic steroids run around 50 cents; and then it's sold for €35 to €40.

Now I know why Papp wanted to get in on this business. Even a middleman can make a fortune.

Back to the OP, the most interesting thing to me about LA's remarks is that this is a sea change from his public attitude as recently a year or two ago, when it was just a few rotten apples. Wasn't that one of his reactions to Landis's confession? Now he admits that doping is not an isolated problem in the peloton.

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
Clearly Unstable said:
I find the whole affair and the people that are soooooooooooooooooooooooo invested in either side a great study in human psychology.

Thank you.

Please carry on.

Exactly .... once again ...dont give a s#@t if he did or didnt .... if he did.... fine and ban him.... otherwise move on and get over it ... still a great cyclist ....... does Pantani get this sort of retrospective garbage ...??

Mmmmmm .......time to slip my yellow band on ..... jump into my Nike's and go for a ride on my TREK ....:eek:

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Merckx index said:
Back to the OP, the most interesting thing to me about LA's remarks is that this is a sea change from his public attitude as recently a year or two ago, when it was just a few rotten apples. Wasn't that one of his reactions to Landis's confession? Now he admits that doping is not an isolated problem in the peloton.

nah, its same old same old - he clearly states that the reason that people are being caught is that cycling is the sport that is doing the most about doping. So its really still a case of a few bad apples in an otherwise strong willed, cheater free sport

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Barracuda said:
Exactly .... once again ...dont give a s#@t if he did or didnt .... if he did.... fine and ban him.... otherwise move on and get over it ... still a great cyclist ....... does Pantani get this sort of retrospective garbage ...??

I couldn't agree more - especially with the bold. I mean you could dope as much as you want if you're a Cancellara or Hushovd or about 98% of all other professional cyclists (not saying any of them does!) they'd still stand zero chance of winning the Tour. Thus realizing that you have the potential of achieving a win in the Tour AND pursueing that goal like Lance did is what really makes the difference. And yes, he may have been aided by PED's but so would have been most (if not all) of his contemporaries. And furthering that thought a lot of them have been convicted. So if he admits to it or not is completely irrelevant.

Hugh Januss said:
Excellent comparison seeing as how Pantani is still around lying about his doping and being at the center of a legal investigation.

I personally believe that Pantani was one of the most drugged addicts ever to sit on a bike. And guess what?! He lost his sanity and committed suicide because of it. Obviously after his death there was no need to go after him anymore. But I'm sure a lot of people here would still go on about him and doping today if he wasn't dead.

Barracuda said:

Pantani never tested positive for any PED, Lance did.

Yet it's funny how a couple of posts above leave no doubt that Pantani was doped, but when it comes to Armstrong it's "he may or may not, we don't know, everyone else was doing it so...". There is far more evidence of Lance doping than Marco.

Martin318is said:
nah, its same old same old - he clearly states that the reason that people are being caught is that cycling is the sport that is doing the most about doping. So its really still a case of a few bad apples in an otherwise strong willed, cheater free sport
I just don't see that. He starts by noting the "High levels of doping in cycling" ("due to riders pushing human limits further than other sports"). Is he talking about the high levels of dope within each cyclist, or about the high numbers who are caught doping, or the high numbers who are doping? Regardless, he's referring to "high levels", which is something he would not have done not too long ago.

This guy is very careful about how he chooses his words, and his choices are clearly changing.

mad black said:
I couldn't agree more - especially with the bold. I mean you could dope as much as you want if you're a Cancellara or Hushovd or about 98% of all other professional cyclists (not saying any of them does!) they'd still stand zero chance of winning the Tour. Thus realizing that you have the potential of achieving a win in the Tour AND pursueing that goal like Lance did is what really makes the difference. And yes, he may have been aided by PED's but so would have been most (if not all) of his contemporaries. And furthering that thought a lot of them have been convicted. So if he admits to it or not is completely irrelevant.

I personally believe that Pantani was one of the most drugged addicts ever to sit on a bike. And guess what?! He lost his sanity and committed suicide because of it. Obviously after his death there was no need to go after him anymore. But I'm sure a lot of people here would still go on about him and doping today if he wasn't dead.

Could you explain your logic in the first paragraph a bit clearer? Because to me it reads like 'Lance could climb hills, and sure he doped, but a bunch of other guys did too, and....'

There doesn't seem to be a conclusion, just an implication that it was okay because a bunch of other guys doped too. What about the guys who didn't, and could climb hills too?

And could you explain your statements in the second paragraph a bit more clearly? Because I don't remember Pantani committing suicide.

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
skidmark said:
Could you explain your logic in the first paragraph a bit clearer? Because to me it reads like 'Lance could climb hills, and sure he doped, but a bunch of other guys did too, and....'

If this is your interpretation of what I wrote so be it. All I was trying to get across is that LA's approach to winning the Tour was unique at the time. Therefore he has my respect.

skidmark said:
There doesn't seem to be a conclusion, just an implication that it was okay because a bunch of other guys doped too. What about the guys who didn't, and could climb hills too?

You could go backwards in time with your question. Was it ok for Pantani, Ulllrich, Riis, Indurain,...??? Hell no! It's not ok but from today's point of view it's irrelevant (in my humble opinion that is - I understand that you and several others tend to disagree). That was the conclusion.

skidmark said:
And could you explain your statements in the second paragraph a bit more clearly? Because I don't remember Pantani committing suicide.

If acute cocaine poisoning isn't suicide then we clearly disagree on what constitutes a suicide.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
mad black said:
If acute cocaine poisoning isn't suicide then we clearly disagree on what constitutes a suicide.

suicide by its definition requires intent. cocaine poisoning does not as given the diminished capacity for reasoning when influenced by drugs it can more than likely just be a case of death by misadventure.

Either way, discussion of Pantani is not relevant in this thread

TRENDING THREADS