• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong Misleads & Swindles Livestrong Donors

Even though the article slates him, it praises his efforts to find the cure for cancer. Out of interest, what % of money raised by Livestrong has gone on that? I know they contribute almost nothing these days, but what about prior to that shift in policy?

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Holy sh!t, that's really ****ed-up. 29% of the money from that ride went into Armstrong's pocket. I remember how ****ed people would get a few years ago when someone posted a picture of Lance's pool with the words "swimming in 'cancer awareness.'" Well...

lance-armstrong-pool.jpg

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
That's a pretty disturbing story, between Lance's actions and the part where you donate 35k and only get a tax receipt for 25k. I doubt many here will be greatly surprised by this. The thing that bothers me though is that this event was in 2005 and it's just now being written about. Was everyone afraid (for legal reasons) to publish accounts like this until recently? Provided the details are accurate, this seems like a pretty telling portrait into the kind of man he is.

It's troubling that the media has controlled the message for so long and cherrypicked what they've chosen to put out there for the general public. This is why way too many people have believed in the sham this entire time.

That's a) gross and b) not surprising, although I'm worried about the accuracy of detail of someone who claims to have worn a livestrong bracelet for years when the incident that made him take it off happened a year after they first came out. Either way, doesn't take away from the universally blatant arrogance of his Lanceness.

Sep 5, 2009
Visit site
el hipopotamo said:
That's a pretty disturbing story, between Lance's actions and the part where you donate 35k and only get a tax receipt for 25k. I doubt many here will be greatly surprised by this. The thing that bothers me though is that this event was in 2005 and it's just now being written about. Was everyone afraid (for legal reasons) to publish accounts like this until recently? Provided the details are accurate, this seems like a pretty telling portrait into the kind of man he is.

It's troubling that the media has controlled the message for so long and cherrypicked what they've chosen to put out there for the general public. This is why way too many people have believed in the sham this entire time.

Exactly my thoughts at the time.

Recent revelations and actions have neutered the power of his potential legal threats. Plus he must be preserving or attempting to hide his assets in preparation for the onslaught of legal suits.

I notice he still has his Gulfstream jet, N7LA registration. Must be looking to re-register with N0LA :).

http://flightaware.com/resources/registration/N7LA

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Interesting article, but not surprising. If I had to put my finger on why I dislike Ironman, and the WTC, it would be because they have a somewhat similar attitude towards the people who support them. They make fun of them, act above it all, yet convince them that their circus is all about love and good feelings. It's been worse since they started hanging out with Lance Armstrong. How lost are people to buy into their crap. To listen to them wax poetic about myths, gods, and being a part of something bigger than themselves is almost comical. If they could only see that they're pawns in a giant money making scheme that culminates in a freaky week long retreat to Kona.

Not to thread jack, but feeding on people's good nature is disturbing. How many times does Lance have to do it before it stops working? Krikey, if you have thirty five thousand dollars to throw around, give it to a local charity, or hospital.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Velodude said:
Exactly my thoughts at the time.

Recent revelations and actions have neutered the power of his potential legal threats. Plus he must be preserving or attempting to hide his assets in preparation for the onslaught of legal suits.

I notice he still has his Gulfstream jet, N7LA registration. Must be looking to re-register with N0LA :).

http://flightaware.com/resources/registration/N7LA

Jet has been sold.

I remember hearing about this at the time and I couldn't believe it. Then I heard it over and over. Who knew riding charity rides could be so lucrative?

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I wasn't surprised at either the story or the fact that someone just wrote about it. Armstrong is a very charismatic man. He has this presence that makes you feel small and slightly unworthy, because he knows exactly what to say and how to get you to listen to and agree with him. He has this power that makes you feel afraid of p!ssing him off in person. That's why no one wrote about it before. Even the fans can be afraid of him.

But this story is actually interesting in a way. I have long known Armstrong was a fraud. But I didn't think he would have the audacity to actually take money straight from the donors. I thought he would just launder money through Livestrong and it would at least look like the entire amount money went straight to charity. This is quite disgusting.

Sep 7, 2009
Visit site
skidmark said:
That's a) gross and b) not surprising, although I'm worried about the accuracy of detail of someone who claims to have worn a livestrong bracelet for years when the incident that made him take it off happened a year after they first came out. Either way, doesn't take away from the universally blatant arrogance of his Lanceness.

This person posted the article in October 2012, even though the incident occurred in 2005. Perhaps they continued to wear the bracelet after 2005, and took it off after more things about LA came out.

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
TheEnoculator said:
I have long known Armstrong was a fraud. But I didn't think he would have the audacity to actually take money straight from the donors. I thought he would just launder money through Livestrong and it would at least look like the entire amount money went straight to charity. This is quite disgusting.
That's the worst part

I'd like to know how much of Livestrong money was going to what they told us it would and what was going into lances pockets to fund himself and what he did to cover everything up

The more I read, the more I doubt even half of that was going to go towards 'finding a cure'

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
It's true.

I was there. I was there for day 1 and day 2.

I was also there when he did a ride in BC with Axel Merckx with another group of adoring fans, all treated the same.

irongrl said:
This person posted the article in October 2012, even though the incident occurred in 2005. Perhaps they continued to wear the bracelet after 2005, and took it off after more things about LA came out.

I mean, I was just being pedantic anyway, I totally believe the story, just that he makes it sound very clear that he made the decision to take it off after this 2005 incident:

I proudly wore a LIVESTRONG arm band for many years however cut it from my wrist after witnessing and learning of the Armstrong's attitude towards contributors and his lack of disclosure to and misconceptions sold to contributors of his iniatives.

Sep 5, 2009
Visit site
purcell said:
It's true.

I was there. I was there for day 1 and day 2.

I was also there when he did a ride in BC with Axel Merckx with another group of adoring fans, all treated the same.

Were the 50 riders/donors of day 1 the same or different for day 2?

Complainant in CNN blog seems to be identifying two different groups calculating to 2 x 50 x $10,000 = $1m in LA's pocket.

Beats the celebrity speaking circuit fees and all those days involved in travel and competing in defrauding the TDU sponsors of his appearance money which he had deceived was to go to Livestrong.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
As a cancer researcher I find the whole live strong "awareness" quite annoying considering the kind of scraping and scrounging I have to do to get funding to see this river of gold poured down the drain. They make no impact whatsoever in actual cancer research.

TRENDING THREADS