• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong Retires, Again

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
RGScales said:
Like him or not, nobody can deny what he has done for this sport. I am not the driver of the Lance bandwagon but I certainly respect him.

Ya, he has driven the sport into the ground and propagated the idea amoungst other riders that its ok to cheat and 'you can cheat and get away with it just like me!" A valid form of respect for sure.

Just think what would have happened if he just gave Landis a 40K job...not very tactical Lance.

But, I guess now that he has extra time since his retirement he could come on this forum and explain to all of us why he doesn't get his samples retested, or explain all the allegations. Or maybe just go to court when the FDA summons him.

His status in the cycling intelligencia would help him explain the 'truth'.

NW

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
"His contribution to the UCI has been enormous, from both the direct cash to myself and Hein, and the indirect earnings perspective. All sports need global icons and he has become the biggest cash cow that we have milked for all we could," said McQuaid, speaking to The Associated Press by telephone from the Tour of Oman.

(this may not be exactly what Pat said...)

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
El Imbatido said:
I am amazed that Daotec didn't post this:eek:........he is losing his touch;)

Nah, he got nipped by the mods for insulting other members...

Otherwise he would've been right on this one...or, at the very least, posted another anouncement with an EVEN MORE CONTROVERSIAL title ;)

May 25, 2009
Visit site
An admission?

" I know what I know," Armstrong said. "I know what I do and I know what I did. That's not going to change."

Not exactly the most unqualified denial. Surprised he didn't say "I have never, ever used PED's ever in any race..."

They quote the $400,000,000 figure. Gonna go far to impress people.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
oldschoolnik said:
" I know what I know," Armstrong said. "I know what I do and I know what I did. That's not going to change."

Not exactly the most unqualified denial. Surprised he didn't say "I have never, ever used PED's ever in any race..."

They quote the $400,000,000 figure. Gonna go far to impress people.

As the great Lance Armstrong once told Landis in a skeevy telephone call.....

'you've got to say NO better.'

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
Lance retires and the thread goes into the "Clinic"?
This says all one needs to know about CN, the forums here, and the mods.

Ponder this:
Without the Armstrong juggernaut, it is entirely probable that CN would never have made the case to be the online place where everyone checks results, goes to see whats happening in the sport, and catch up on rider interviews. But over the past few years, the "agenda" here versus Armstrong has been quite clear. Whatever.

THerefore, just backtrack the numbers you guys got when he showed up, elevated the profile and viewership of the sport. Didnt your ad revenue and readership go through the roof during his tour reign? THought so!

You guys, arguably, would not exist in the current state but for Armstrong.

Choke on that meal as you hurl invective at the rising tide that lifted your boat.
The tide is going out now gents.

And you are left with a reigning TOur champion who tested positive. Happy now?

Androgynous Schleck versus Clentador is not exactly Jan versus Lance, is it?

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
davestoller said:
Lance retires and the thread goes into the "Clinic"?
This says all one needs to know about CN, the forums here, and the mods.
How? Because we don't shoot posters who chose to start that thread here so they can discuss all aspects of it, if they chose to do so?

Start a mirror thread in the road section and see what happens. At worst we'll put a redirect in to keep the discussion in one place, now someone has opted to start it here.

To be frank, intriguing accusations like that tell me more about the observational powers of the poster in question, or his understanding of how this forum works, than actual modding behaviour by any of us.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Francois the Postman said:
How? Because we don't shoot posters who chose to start that thread here so they can discuss all aspects of it, if they chose to do so?

Start a mirror thread in the road section and see what happens. At worst we'll put a redirect in to keep the discussion in one place, now someone has opted to start it here.

To be frank, intriguing accusations like that tell me more about the observational powers of the poster in question, or his understanding of how this forum works, than actual modding behaviour by any of us.

Thank god they don't shoot posters here. My head would still be bleeding. Lance's press conference and lack of direction can be attributed to many things , huge family, public demands, side interests and probably father time..I personally think his avoidance/indirect comments about Novitzky mean that his legal advisors have told him that he will most likely be required to spend lots of time either w lawyers or in court. Continuing as a touring pro would only allow the press to ask him 1000's of questions that are tiring to him and a huge distraction to the team. He is probably doing everybody a favor by stepping aside. Anything about Lance can always go to the clinic from his own words..he addressed doping in his retirement statement not a response to a question. CN Barry Ryan completely missed when he brought up Simeoni and Bassons..one micro event in 1999 and another misguided race tactic in 2004..WTF? Stand in front of Penn Station or Picadilly Circus and ask people for there reaction to Lance's retirement, ask a couple hundred people or a 1000..nobody knows of Simeoni, Bassons as a person,racer or subject of any Lance controversy. Those to race pimples should have not been included in an article encapsulating a 20 year career. The guy won 7 tours and the worlds and Ryan wrote about Lance chasing a guy in 2004. what a chump..an article that should have taken all night and had everything the guy accomplished on the bike was instead some twitter looking smear from Ryan

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
The fact that this Armstrong retires post is in the CLINIC highlights the bias of the Cyclingnews forum posters.
The fact that there is different drug testing at the ToC has to do with Lances' retirement? I really do not get that analogy.
I speculate that Lance has retired because he has reached an age where he is not competitive. Plus I am sure that he realizes that in his current situation he will detract from the ToCs proper racing agenda.

I want to thanks Lance for his come back 2.0. Without this one there would have never been an investigation on him.

I also want to thanks Lance for his contribution to cycling, because without him we never would have had cycling in the US, or Tour de Frances after 2005, or high cadence or knew anything about Lactic Acid.

Thanks Lance again.

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
davestoller said:
Ponder this:
Without the Armstrong juggernaut, it is entirely probable that CN would never have made the case to be the online place where everyone checks results, goes to see whats happening in the sport, and catch up on rider interviews. But over the past few years, the "agenda" here versus Armstrong has been quite clear. Whatever.

THerefore, just backtrack the numbers you guys got when he showed up, elevated the profile and viewership of the sport. Didnt your ad revenue and readership go through the roof during his tour reign? THought so!
I'm guessing you're American. Actually, CN is a cycling site, not an Armstrong site, and it would've been doing just fine. Armstrong didn't exactly "save" the Daily Peloton Forums, after all, did he? Some sites win, some lose, just the way it goes, but to credit Armstrong with CN's success is delusional.

You guys, arguably, would not exist in the current state but for Armstrong.
Check back in a couple of years and see how we're doing.

Choke on that meal as you hurl invective at the rising tide that lifted your boat.
The tide is going out now gents.
A tide? Right. More like a ripple. Most cycling fans - most of the world, really - have barely noticed that he's leaving. You may have noticed that the big news now is Contador.

And you are left with a reigning TOur champion who tested positive. Happy now?
We had a reigning Tour champion who was a doper for 7 straight years in Armstrong. (Which is, I'm guessing, why this thread was posted - fittingly imo - in the Clinic.) I'd personally like to see Contador gone as well, but how is it possibly worse than Armstrong's reign in that regard?

Androgynous Schleck versus Clentador is not exactly Jan versus Lance, is it?
No, it's not, and thank god the farce that was the Jan-versus-Lance era is over.

TRENDING THREADS