• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong Retires, Again

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
davestoller said:
THerefore, just backtrack the numbers you guys got when he showed up, elevated the profile and viewership of the sport. Didnt your ad revenue and readership go through the roof during his tour reign? THought so!

You guys, arguably, would not exist in the current state but for Armstrong.

Choke on that meal as you hurl invective at the rising tide that lifted your boat.
The tide is going out now gents.

And you are left with a reigning TOur champion who tested positive. Happy now?

Androgynous Schleck versus Clentador is not exactly Jan versus Lance, is it?

Ahhh yes, Every bike purchase, every viewer, every $$$ ever made in cycling is because of Lance.

facepalm.jpg

davestoller said:
Lance retires and the thread goes into the "Clinic"?
This says all one needs to know about CN, the forums here, and the mods.

Ponder this:
Without the Armstrong juggernaut, it is entirely probable that CN would never have made the case to be the online place where everyone checks results, goes to see whats happening in the sport, and catch up on rider interviews. But over the past few years, the "agenda" here versus Armstrong has been quite clear. Whatever.

THerefore, just backtrack the numbers you guys got when he showed up, elevated the profile and viewership of the sport. Didnt your ad revenue and readership go through the roof during his tour reign? THought so!

You guys, arguably, would not exist in the current state but for Armstrong.

Choke on that meal as you hurl invective at the rising tide that lifted your boat.
The tide is going out now gents.

And you are left with a reigning TOur champion who tested positive. Happy now?

Androgynous Schleck versus Clentador is not exactly Jan versus Lance, is it?

Hard to believe as it might be, some of us here, including myself, were passionate about cycling long before Lancey-poo came along.

I must admit that I was attracted to cycling forums because the cancer that is doping threatened to destroy the sport. It might only be appropriate that Armstrong is the self appointed spokesman for the cancer that is doping.

Good riddance I say.

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
It was time. He wasn't going to win another major race and the press would have been all over him. I can't imagine that would be fun for him and it certainly wouldn't be good for the sport as a whole. It's time to move on.

I'm going to the Tour of California in May and I can't say I will miss him being there. Even in the USA there are plenty of young guys to be excited about like van Garderen, Phinney, etc.

The races will be fun to watch, guys will cheat, scandal will prevail, and people will still love the sport like they have for 100+ years.

Skandar Akbar

BANNED
Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
It is unfair to say he didn't bring new fan to the sport. And since he did that is a good thing, but he eleveted its public profile thus showing the bad doping side to more people as well. There was doping before he came and there is doping since so I am not sure how that is his fault. If he didn't exist you guys probably wouldn't have people like me here putting forth my unique perspective. I hope this post is cool with you guys. I'm just trying to bring a different perspective instead of the dogpiling going on by people that may just harbor some jealousy.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
*if anybody knows where to find the New York news video about banning energy drinks please post it. There is some young kids drinking FRS and explaining what a buzz they get from it..there is a little cardboard Lance in the back round..priceless.. just when Lance thought he was safe the NYC city counsel will go after him for his drink brand

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I am glad that he has made the decision to concentrate on his future.:)

swinging a pick on a chaingang needs serious preparation if you wanna be topdog:D

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Lance is going to buy the NY Mets and also invest in a NASCAR race team so he has no use for a sport in which the competitor's arms are too skinny to open a pasta sauce jar.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
davestoller said:
Lance retires and the thread goes into the "Clinic"?
This says all one needs to know about CN, the forums here, and the mods.

Ponder this:
Without the Armstrong juggernaut, it is entirely probable that CN would never have made the case to be the online place where everyone checks results, goes to see whats happening in the sport, and catch up on rider interviews. But over the past few years, the "agenda" here versus Armstrong has been quite clear. Whatever.

Wow, so Lance invented the internet....and Cycling News. Man, I always knew he was awesome.

Your point is funny. I guess that's how people try to spin it, but the fact is LA hasn't really made much of an impact in the growth of the sport, at least in his home country. His popularity is more of a celebrity than cyclists, and is more about the cult of personality than the sport of cycling.

If cycling has grown in participation and popularity, it has a lot more to do with grass roots cycling (both racing and recreational riding) than LA. The fact is, the MS150 and FIAC have done way more for cycling than LA.

To your point about why is this in the clinic, I have to laugh. Did you read the first sentence and the very headline of the article in CN?:

"American calls time on controversial career

Lance Armstrong (RadioShack) has announced his retirement from professional cycling, calling time on a career that had become increasingly mired in controversy."

How could this NOT be in the clinic. This IS his legacy.

As far as the timing, I simply have to say "kudos" to Andy Messick for not giving in to the shakedown attempt to get LA on the start line at the ToC. You'll probably notice that the race will get on just fine without him. I for one am glad he won't be there.

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
What I am wondering about is how long it will take for the CN forum-ites to retire their favorite bike racer to gossip and cluck about in thread after thread. Some guys here will be really lost if he falls from the news (not likely of course)

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Neworld said:
Ya, he has driven the sport into the ground and propagated the idea amoungst other riders that its ok to cheat and 'you can cheat and get away with it just like me!" A valid form of respect for sure.

Just think what would have happened if he just gave Landis a 40K job...not very tactical Lance.

But, I guess now that he has extra time since his retirement he could come on this forum and explain to all of us why he doesn't get his samples retested, or explain all the allegations. Or maybe just go to court when the FDA summons him.

His status in the cycling intelligencia would help him explain the 'truth'.

NW
Do you feel better now? I forgot that this forum is used to belittle others opinions...since that is apparently the case I think your opinion is bitter and short sighted. I am not trying to debate whether or not he doped...likely he did...and just as likely, if he did so did the vast majority of others. So do you hate him or just cyclists in general? Do you support a certain rider that you believe is above suspicion? If so why don't you share his name and your opinion as to why he is certainly clean...maybe someone will belittle your views as well.
I was just stating that he has changed the way that cycling is viewed by people and brought a lot of people into this sport that otherwise wouldn't have dared put on spandex. Not to mention that after the American public started to embrace him I stopped getting run off the road as much while I was out riding. One last thing...I own a bike shop, I own it because I love this sport and it allows me to keep my family comfortable. After Lance came around, a lot more bikes started going out the door and my family became a lot more comfortable. So regardless of what you think, I owe him thanks. Thanks again for your incredibly thoughtful response.

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
fatandfast said:
*if anybody knows where to find the New York news video about banning energy drinks please post it. There is some young kids drinking FRS and explaining what a buzz they get from it..there is a little cardboard Lance in the back round..priceless.. just when Lance thought he was safe the NYC city counsel will go after him for his drink brand
Seriously? I am not debating it but FRS does not seem like the sort of energy drink that is causing problems...I have used it in the past and to the best of my memory it is just a bunch of B vitamins and Amino Acids.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
People, please keep the comments nice and clean and do not attack one another personally, lets just keep things civil. It would be much appreciated

RGScales said:
Do you feel better now? I forgot that this forum is used to belittle others opinions...since that is apparently the case I think your opinion is bitter and short sighted. I am not trying to debate whether or not he doped...likely he did...and just as likely, if he did so did the vast majority of others. So do you hate him or just cyclists in general? Do you support a certain rider that you believe is above suspicion? If so why don't you share his name and your opinion as to why he is certainly clean...maybe someone will belittle your views as well.
I was just stating that he has changed the way that cycling is viewed by people and brought a lot of people into this sport that otherwise wouldn't have dared put on spandex. Not to mention that after the American public started to embrace him I stopped getting run off the road as much while I was out riding. One last thing...I own a bike shop, I own it because I love this sport and it allows me to keep my family comfortable. After Lance came around, a lot more bikes started going out the door and my family became a lot more comfortable. So regardless of what you think, I owe him thanks. Thanks again for your incredibly thoughtful response.

How did he "belittle" your opinion? By disagreeing with it?
I own a bike shop as well and to a large extent due to Armstrong the king of omerta, I have a hard time encouraging talented young kids who come through my shop that pro cycling would be a viable career.

Kind of sad in all honesty... There is a big cloud hanging over his head and without it I'm sure he could have had the fairytale farewell in California. You reap what you sow old boy, you reap what you sow. Seems to me that **** is about to go down, whether he gets convicted or anything or not is another matter. Either way his reputation looks to be in tatters.

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
How did he "belittle" your opinion? By disagreeing with it?
I own a bike shop as well and to a large extent due to Armstrong the king of omerta, I have a hard time encouraging talented young kids who come through my shop that pro cycling would be a viable career.
I feel like the statement I made initially was a valid statement. There are many things that are said on these threads that I completely disagree with and if I decide to respond to one of those things I certainly try and do it with as much respect and civility as possible. The fact that at the end of the day, I am an Armstrong fan, seems akin to being a fan of Hitler. It is frustrating that a person cannot make a statement one way or another about one of the most influential figures in OUR sport without immediately summoning every miserable comment that every person who dislikes him has to offer. I HATE Contador, but I certainly can discuss him and whatever situation is around him at the time without having to resort to saying that I think that he is a terrible roll model for any kid dreaming of riding in the Tour de France and not remotely because of the allegations against him.
I saw the title of this thread and thought that perhaps I may find a few comments about some of Lance's contributions to the sport instead the title of this thread was a statement of open season for everyone that dislikes him to make people that have a single fond memory of his career feel like fools.
Lastly, I am very sorry that you have a hard time encouraging youngsters to pursue a dream of cycling. I completely understand why and can absolutely empathize with it but it is indeed a sad statement of the condition of our sport.
Please do not take anything that I just said as an aggressive response but I did want to answer the question that you posed and I hope that I answered it satisfactorily.

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
While much of the cycling world thrashes around like a stuck pig, LA can sit at home and count him millions and never work another day.

LA will be doing as much jail time as I will be doing standing on the winners podium at the TdF this year.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts