• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong/RS Sponsorships

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Just curious, in the various countries around the world, have any of you noticed a change in Armstrong or RS team advertising presence?

After looking at the basics, I have noticed both Armstrong and RS are essentially none existent on the Trek sites. That is a big change from the past. Oakley doesn't highlight him either, but that company is bigger than just one athlete so maybe that is not different.

It could be a sign that some companies are starting to see Pharmstrong as a risk. It could also be that the tour days are over for LA. Ideas?

Radio Shack's ad blitz would be structured to coincide with the Tour and the runup to it.

I have not ever looked for patterns, but I would guess that advertsing in cycling and sports in general is cyclical with the off-season being a low point and the most popular event being a high point..

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
washedup said:
Just curious, in the various countries around the world, have any of you noticed a change in Armstrong or RS team advertising presence?

After looking at the basics, I have noticed both Armstrong and RS are essentially none existent on the Trek sites. That is a big change from the past. Oakley doesn't highlight him either, but that company is bigger than just one athlete so maybe that is not different.

It could be a sign that some companies are starting to see Pharmstrong as a risk. It could also be that the tour days are over for LA. Ideas?

Watching those new Radio Shack ads with Lance and the fat guy is painful because there's this big white elephant in the room, and Lance - being the sociopath he is - just acts like it's business as usual.

This would be like Hertz using OJ Simpson in its commercials while he was being investigated for cutting his [WIFE]'s throat.

It will be funny watching when USADA charges Lance with an anti-doping violation.

Radio Shack is really harming their brand by using a guy who is on the verge of indictment for being a fraud for his entire career as their spokesperson.

I don't think I've ever seen anything like it.

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
TERMINATOR said:
Watching those new Radio Shack ads with Lance and the fat guy is painful because there's this big white elephant in the room, and Lance - being the sociopath he is - just acts like it's business as usual.

This would be like Hertz using OJ Simpson in its commercials while he was being investigated for cutting his beeyatch's throat.

It will be funny watching when USADA charges Lance with an anti-doping violation.

Radio Shack is really harming their brand by using a guy who is on the verge of indictment for being a fraud for his entire career as their spokesperson.

I don't think I've ever seen anything like it.

Yeah, because doping to win the Tour de France is equivalent to murdering your ex-wife.

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Altitude said:
Yeah, because doping to win the Tour de France is equivalent to murdering your ex-wife.

It was indeed a harsh comparison. It could be argued that LA's impact on the sport is responsible for the deaths of cyclists. Frederiek Nolf comes to mind (though I don't believe an autopsy was allowed to be performed). Jesus Manzano was lucky to live, blaming a near death experience on a transfusion.

This is drifting off-track. Still a bad murder-dope comparison :p.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
This ad in just now from Eurosport.
planet-armstrong.jpg

May 19, 2010
Visit site
hektoren said:
This ad in just now from Eurosport.
planet-armstrong.jpg

Mr. Armstrong might consider a change from Oakley glasses to Transitions adaptive lenses while he still can, it seems to be partly very dark and partly very glaring light conditions where he is going.

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
The new "holiday" RS commercial that is running in the states (starring Lance and the fat dude in spandex hero costume) is PAINFULLY stupid. Embarassing to watch. And Lance's hair looks really weird... (I guess this is the first time he's been able to grow it out since '09 when those damn French AFLD testers "butchered" his hairdo while taking a sample).

At the end of the commercial, the fat dude asks Lance if he wants to try on the mask, off-camera Lance says "yes". Weird, weird, weird. No better way to leverage your aging fraudulent spokesperson than run creepy bizarre TV spots.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Page Mill Masochist said:
Shocking how dissipated Armstrong looks in latest RS ad. Gray, washed out, big bags under the eyes. Looks like a guy who has been hitting the bottle.

No joke. It looks like he has aged 10 years in the last year......maybe he has something giving him stress?

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
veganrob said:
Not only that. You know all the drugs he's taken is going to catch up to his health.

It already did. 14 years ago. He'd been doing PED's since he was on the US National team as a junior (even if he didn't know it then).

TRENDING THREADS