• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong/RS Sponsorships

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
It already did. 14 years ago. He'd been doing PED's since he was on the US National team as a junior (even if he didn't know it then).

Oh, come on. If that were true, Carmichael would have been sued by now by some ex-rider, and had to settle for big money...

Oh yeah :eek:

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
It already did. 14 years ago. He'd been doing PED's since he was on the US National team as a junior (even if he didn't know it then).

I predict this as a future LA character defense. Blame the national system for sending him down the wrong path. He'll probably sue them for giving him testicular cancer.

May 8, 2009
Visit site
Page Mill Masochist said:
Shocking how dissipated Armstrong looks in latest RS ad. Gray, washed out, big bags under the eyes. Looks like a guy who has been hitting the bottle.

Maybe you need a new TV or something. Funny how our perceptions of things can be skewed by our feelings. Dissipated, gray, washed out, big bags under his eyes? You guys make me laugh. Now comparing LA to OJ Simpson, that is just plain scary.

Definitely not the best advert out there, but not bad. Should LA be indicted, might not have been the best choice to keep using him in adds, but I guess RS is willing to keep rolling the dice.

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
TubularBills said:
True, The P&L looks solid - but there are rumors of a takeover by Best Buy and a retirement of the brand based on quality perceptions i.e. BB feels theirs has better brand to quality association with consumers.

Why would a well oiled machine like BB but that 1960s dead-wood of a home-electronics/radio-kit building hobby turd company, other than to eliminate a half-*** competitor, if they are even much of that to them?

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Maybe BB is just interested in their real estate. More location, turn them into "BB-lite" stores...smartphone and tablet stores. Just guessin'.

And yes, Armstrong really does look like *** in those new commercials. Looks like a man in his late 40's.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
washedup said:
I predict this as a future LA character defense. Blame the national system for sending him down the wrong path. He'll probably sue them for giving him testicular cancer.

Well, think about it. Wenzel and Carmichael DID send him down that path. Strock ended up with health problems directly caused by the injections and it's long been my opinion that Lance may very well have had his cancer caused by that (and subsequent abuse) as well. A hormone-producing organ becoming cancerous after years of being manipulated by exterior sources of a similar hormone does not sound so far-fetched to me.

The fact that he returned to using testosterone soon after recovering shows that these guy really screwed him up.

I hate to take a shot at Strock, but dude, shame on you for settling in such a manner that let Carmichael ride into the sunset with his reputation intact. Needs to be said.

Page Mill Masochist said:
Shocking how dissipated Armstrong looks in latest RS ad. Gray, washed out, big bags under the eyes. Looks like a guy who has been hitting the bottle.

To be honest I thought the "Lance is fat" comments this spring were just a lot of haters piling on for no good reason.

On the other hand, he really doesn't look good in this ad - sickly even. And the ad is pathetic, I can't see anyone but a fanboy being interested in what Lancey-poo has to sell.

frenchfry said:
To be honest I thought the "Lance is fat" comments this spring were just a lot of haters piling on for no good reason.

On the other hand, he really doesn't look good in this ad - sickly even. And the ad is pathetic, I can't see anyone but a fanboy being interested in what Lancey-poo has to sell.

No he was fat. His weight was bouncing all season. What we didn’t know was with each email from Floyd he’d go munch on chocolate cake. Now with no cycling to help burn off the comfort eating he’s going grey and preparing for his new house in confinement.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
Well, think about it. Wenzel and Carmichael DID send him down that path. Strock ended up with health problems directly caused by the injections and it's long been my opinion that Lance may very well have had his cancer caused by that (and subsequent abuse) as well. A hormone-producing organ becoming cancerous after years of being manipulated by exterior sources of a similar hormone does not sound so far-fetched to me.

The fact that he returned to using testosterone soon after recovering shows that these guy really screwed him up.

I hate to take a shot at Strock, but dude, shame on you for settling in such a manner that let Carmichael ride into the sunset with his reputation intact. Needs to be said.

Without naming names and through discussion with coleagues I think the PED road starts at an early age, likely before emotional maturity, and good judgement take effect. To me the most guilty in these cases are the trainers and managers who introduce kids to dope.

Hence I try not to be to judgemental upon the athletes themselves.

flicker said:
Without naming names and through discussion with coleagues I think the PED road starts at an early age, likely before emotional maturity, and good judgement take effect. To me the most guilty in these cases are the trainers and managers who introduce kids to dope.

Hence I try not to be to judgemental upon the athletes themselves.

Are you saying Lance is Jason Bourne?

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Anyone else see the parallel between this new ad (the one where Lance says that the Hero is the one who gives the best gifts) and the comments today from Rubiera

“I really enjoyed my time with Lance and I experienced things that I simply wouldn’t have in another situation. It might seem stupid or frivolous, but mixing with Robin Williams, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sheryl Crow, and important people from Hollywood and the world of politics, or travelling with him in his private plane are events and opportunities that I don’t think I would have had in any other place."

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Are you saying Lance is Jason Bourne?

I never played high school sports nor used PEDs.

Once again High School coaches are probably the bad guys with PEDs and students. I am in the USA and it is a reletivly small sport, pros here make squat, and my guess is that the major dopers in cycling here are the weekend warrior masters weenies.

flicker said:
I never played high school sports...

Really? Now that's a surprise.:rolleyes:

flicker said:
Once again High School coaches are probably the bad guys with PEDs and students.

And once again, you couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

Then again, if you never played high school sports, how could you possible know? You know nothing, but that doesn't stop you from passing on these patently false and nonsensical opinions as fact.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Berzin said:
Really? Now that's a surprise.:rolleyes:

And once again, you couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

Then again, if you never played high school sports, how could you possible know? You know nothing, but that doesn't stop you from passing on these patently false and nonsensical opinions as fact.

Berzin,

Cycling is not a high school sport in the US. How do PRO Football plaYERS BEEF UP? Check out how quickly High schoolers get gigantic in the USA.

2+2+3=6? How about in Brasil where coaches fan out across the hinterlands and scoop soccer players into special schools at 7 yrs. Yep 2+2=3

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
You were the geek in the library squeezing your pimples and thinking what it would be like to touch a woman? (unless you are a woman?)

Thank you sir, may I have another? Now I know what it is like to carry the Lance hatred. Quite a heavy load!

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
Berzin,

Cycling is not a high school sport in the US. How do PRO Football plaYERS BEEF UP? Check out how quickly High schoolers get gigantic in the USA.

2+2+3=6? How about in Brasil where coaches fan out across the hinterlands and scoop soccer players into special schools at 7 yrs. Yep 2+2=3

this is incorrect. The Canadian and US federations are trying to define a cycling season for High School athletes. Inter school competition is a major goal of both feds. Trying to get Jr riders involved.Also w current rules many cyclocross events can take place on school campuses that will provide parking and facilities that are rented when events are held in more remote areas.The drug use objectives of endurance athletes are usually different from guys trying to gain mass

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:
this is incorrect. The Canadian and US federations are trying to define a cycling season for High School athletes. Inter school competition is a major goal of both feds. Trying to get Jr riders involved.Also w current rules many cyclocross events can take place on school campuses that will provide parking and facilities that are rented when events are held in more remote areas.The drug use objectives of endurance athletes are usually different from guys trying to gain mass

dope is dope, IMO. My point being once again is that youth are manipulaied into PED use as well as over the counter drug abuse and illegal drugs. Once again IMO TV adds inplant the ideas in youths and adults minds that drugs are needed for every little ailment. I do not watch much TV but when I do I see an indocridnation of adds promoting this drug and that drug.
Steroids Clen EPO amphetamine weed all dope in my eyes, as well as abused over the counter drugs.

TRENDING THREADS