• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong Served? (decode this tweet)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
And I apologize for polluting the forum a Lance tweet. I'll make this the last one.

I guess I've been doing too much reading on doping lately and have turned into a radical. I'm just sick of the slimy, lying *******s. I'm hoping that the consequences in the LA case are harsh enough, just not for him, but his cronies as well that it really puts the brakes on the doping industry.

(FWIW, I don't think LA has the power to retire the head of the FDA. The retirement was probably going to happen anyway. The Senator's effort was simply the last nail in the coffin, and was a quid pro quo for a nice speaking engagement fee.)

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Archibald said:
gold!

every time I hear about someone tweeting, it reminds me of this quote - "tweeting is the first resort of the incoherent"

then again, considering all those following LA's tweets, it also brings to mind Obi Wan's famous quote: "who is more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?"...

There's a certain amount of "seagulls following the trawler" And waiting for titbits to be thrown etc on this situation.(credits to Eric Cantona for that quote)

The Trawler is about to go belly up in this case though.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
While I am not a big supporter of conspiracy theories it wouldn't be the first time that Armstrong used his influence to go after a critic.

Bassons talks about doping = Hassled into retirement.
Simeoni testify truthfully = Defamed, chased down twice and blocked from the Giro (while Italian national champion)
Andreu testifies truthfully = Fired from job by large Livestrong doner. Blocked from other employment on request from Wonderboy. Harnessed by phone and e-mail by groupies.
Anderson finds PED's in apartment = Harassed until he has a seizer
Lemond disappointed about Armstrong working with Ferrari = Armstrong forces Trek to stop supporting LeMond Bikes brand. Contacts other LeMond business partners. Slam Dunk case of tortious interference

And of course Bill Mitchell, founder of Cyclingnews. He reported on what the European newspapers were saying about how unbelievable Armstrong's performance was in 1999. Armstrong puts Bill's contact and employment info on his website. Bill is harnessed by groupies relentlessly for months. His employer,University of Newcastle, is called and lobbied to fire Bill. Finally he sells the site for almost nothing to Gerard Knapp....who then sells it for $5 million a few years later. In his farewell post (Since deleted from the site) he wrote.

I also received a lot of antagonism for daring to have an opinion - mostly from US readers. I could not understand why people (only a small minority), who grew up in the so-called land of freedom were so intent on repressing free speech. After all it was your choice to click the link and there was no charge for doing so. But still I received many threatening and nasty E-mails on a regular basis. My employer (the University) was harassed. And lately these nasty types have been trying to encourage my sponsors to stop supporting the site. I guess these types wear white hoods around the place at times too. It made me understand how McCarthyism thrived in the USA. Lucky I live in a free society I thought.

If you think that Armstrong is sitting by and allowing the investigation to take it's course then you haven't been paying attention.

Race Radio said:
While I am not a big supporter of conspiracy theories it wouldn't be the first time that Armstrong used his influence to go after a critic.

Simeoni testify truthfully = Defamed, chased down twice and blocked from the Giro (while Italian national champion)
Andreu testifies truthfully = Fired from job by large Livestrong doner. Blocked from other employment on request from Wonderboy. Harnessed by phone and e-mail by groupies.
Lemond disappointed about Armstrong working with Ferrari = Armstrong forces Trek to stop supporting LeMond Bikes brand. Contacts other LeMond business partners. Slam Dunk case of tortious interference

And of course Bill Mitchell, founder of Cyclingnews. He reported on what the European newspapers were saying about how unbelievable Armstrong's performance was in 1999. Armstrong puts Bill's contact and employment info on his website. Bill is harnessed by groupies relentlessly for months. His employer,University of Newcastle, is called and lobbied to fire Bill. Finally he sells the site for almost nothing to Gerard Knapp....who then sells it for $5 million a few years later. In his farewell post (Since deleted from the site) he wrote.

If you think that Armstrong is sitting by and allowing the investigation to take it's course then you haven't been paying attention.

Intially he made a lot of phone calls. He's since stopped. He knows he's being listened to.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:

+1[10]
Here here.

The Armstrong investigation, according to what I've read, is close to wrapping up.

Remember that someone who attended the meetings At Interpol's headquarters said the Feds were just looking for evidence that corroborated what they already had.

So if Armstrong is behind this shake-up at the FDA, at this juncture it doesn't matter unless the person put in place to replace the guy retiring is an Armstrong fanboy.

If Armstrong is powerful enough to pull something like that off, then he really is the Antichrist.

I can see Novitzky showing up at Armstrong's house to serve him with papers-

e62kjs.jpg

Race Radio said:

Thanks for the insights on Bill.

As for Lance sitting idly by? Not. All the makings of a celeb melt-down.

As for the conspiracy theory, Lance is not the smartest guy in the room and neither is Fabiani even if they think otherwise. Then again, those that believe this of themselves can fall pretty hard. Right Mr. Lay, Mr. Skilling?

All it takes is a little bit of greed and one whistleblower.

From Wikipedia:
Inspired by one of his favorite books, The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins—which, contra the author's intent, (Skilling) understood to suggest that humanity survives by genetically passing on greedy and competitive traits
Dave.

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
Berzin said:
The Armstrong investigation, according to what I've read, is close to wrapping up.

Remember that someone who attended the meetings At Interpol's headquarters said the Feds were just looking for evidence that corroborated what they already had.

So if Armstrong is behind this shake-up at the FDA, at this juncture it doesn't matter unless the person put in place to replace the guy retiring is an Armstrong fanboy.

If Armstrong is powerful enough to pull something like that off, then he really is the Antichrist.

I can see Novitzky showing up at Armstrong's house to serve him with papers-

e62kjs.jpg

The shake up at the FDA is not Armstrong related. The investigation is now controlled by the Justice Dept. via the US Attorney's Office in Central CA.

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
AnythingButKestrel said:
Call it whatever you want, but I think there's a fair to middlin' chance that LA's camp invokes this "resignation" to indicate that the FDA is guilty of widespread corruption, therefore the LA investigation is corrupt as well, and thus request the charges be dropped.

Look for it the next time Herr Von Fibbentropp dismisses the allegations.

I really hope Fabio and his crew try that one.

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:

You can find lots of them over on rec.bicycles.racing which they have destroyed over the past ten years.

Bingo!

TubularBills said:
and so it begins, maybe Fabiani is worth 30k?

"The anonymous whistleblower complaint, sent to Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa), does not involve the Armstrong case."

10 to 1 the 'anonymous' source is Armstrong and his Cronies. They're digging deep.

I predicted the FDA was getting heat for the investigation in another thread. I'm not saying the guy in trouble is innocent. Just that this is the kind of heat Fabiani brings. Hopefully, the FDA had gathered enough before the investigation was ended by Fabiani's proxy.

How did I know? I'm no psychic. It's exactly what I would do if I were Armstrong. The things people do never surprise me. Disgust? Sure. Surprised? Never.

Another prediction: Fabiani's proxies in the Justice Department will limit resources as much as possible to more or less ruin the Fed's case. It's what I'd do if I were Armstrong.

Today's lesson: The rule of law does not apply to Team Armstrong.

I'd argue the "messy" tweet is a reference to the problems for which the head of the FDA crime department is being removed.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
AnythingButKestrel said:
runrpj.png

4 hrs ago: "Sloppy"

Does this mean that trash-tweets might have consequences?

Using my fanboy decoder ring, the tweet appears to mean one of two things....

1) Lance just changed his kid's diaper.

2) Lance himself had an onset of end of season squirts.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Polish said:
Using my fanboy decoder ring, the tweet appears to mean one of two things....

1) Lance just changed his kid's diaper.

2) Lance himself had an onset of end of season squirts.

both which you are no doubt dying to polish :D

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
I predicted the FDA was getting heat for the investigation in another thread. I'm not saying the guy in trouble is innocent. Just that this is the kind of heat Fabiani brings. Hopefully, the FDA had gathered enough before the investigation was ended by Fabiani's proxy.

How did I know? I'm no psychic. It's exactly what I would do if I were Armstrong. The things people do never surprise me. Disgust? Sure. Surprised? Never.

Another prediction: Fabiani's proxies in the Justice Department will limit resources as much as possible to more or less ruin the Fed's case. It's what I'd do if I were Armstrong.

Today's lesson: The rule of law does not apply to Team Armstrong.

I'd argue the "messy" tweet is a reference to the problems for which the head of the FDA crime department is being removed.

Fabiano's proxies in the Justice Dept. will do nothing, lest they be indicted for Obstruction of Justice. Do we think for one moment that with Novitsky on the case, we will have any pressure like that brought? I doubt he and Miller would stand for it.

This is well beyond the phase when Fabiani's friends in high places can influence the investigation and/or the decision to seek an indictment. Sit back and wait for the act in the center ring to start.

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
D-Queued said:
That is a shame... haven't been on it for years, but appreciate the fact that it dates to pre-Intarweb. Discussing wheel physics with Jobst was fascinating.

Dave.

Jobst, Hildenbran, Roger Marquis, Les Earnst and many others are sorely missed.

Cimacoppi49 said:
Jobst, Hildenbran, Roger Marquis, Les Earnst and many others are sorely missed.

Ah, yes. Thanks for that. Invested a lot of coffee break time following all of them.

Also, the marketing guy for short-lived Bridgestone bikes was one of the first 'industry guys' that wasn't afraid to be accessible.

Dave.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:

Damn, didn't know this story. I only remember CN changing hands abruptly. This explains a lot though.

Susan Westemeyer said:
Hey, folks, obviously the politics question is a fine line here. Please stay strictly on Armstrong and don't drag in other things.

Thanks.

Susan

Sorry Susan.

The point was that Lance isn't too big to fall, Fabiani at 30k/mo or no.

There were some interesting parallels in alleged amounts of funds under question and timing.

Thus, analogies to Ken Lay, Jeff Skilling, Bernie Madoff, Bernie Ebbers, Charles Keating, Conrad Black, Martha Stewart, etc. are arguably complimented by the subject that was edited by mod'. He may have been a politician, but it was another example of the bigger they are the harder they fall.

I am not debating the removal, just clarifying the intent of the post and the 'just like the others' point of view.

Dave.

Dave.

TRENDING THREADS