• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong to send $250,000 to Hati

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
Clemson Cycling said:
We are quite skint here in the US as well. A trillion dollars in debt from this year alone. Doesn't stop the US from donating. This is where the United States differs from the rest of the world.

Have you ever even left the US? Please try to educate yourself a bit before posting crap like this again.

Hugh Januss said:
OK not the most clever post I've seen, but let me try to fill you in on some of the findings.

1) Lance is either a great humanitarian who has dug deep into his own pockets to help those who are in need, or a douche who steals money that people have donated to fight cancer in order to make a show of helping people in need.

2) Apparently some times 2 wrongs do make a right particularly if you are wiping out thousands of innocent people in order to prevent a despot from wiping out thousands of innocent people. As long as you are in the "real world".

3) It is possible to be anti-religion but in favor of a war which is largely a religious war.

4) SOME KITTENS IN A OVEN DON'T MAKEM BISCUTTS

5) ChrisE plans on getting drunk a little later on, and wishes the other forum members would not pick on Lance so much.

6) Oncearunner is getting drunk as we speak and struggles with English as a first language.

7)Moondance needs to calm down, and Nick shouldn't be so patronizing.

I think those are most of the important points that have been raised here, although I may have missed 1 or 2 as I did nod off a couple times while reading the thread myself. In the future please try to get yourself up to speed before jumping in, I can't spend time doing all this research every time.

I'd say you pretty much nailed it..

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
God bless Lance Armstrong, he rivals Mother Theresa in his selfless generosity. He truly deserves to be canonized during his illustrious lifetime. Viva Saint Lance!

100% whatever the critics say its still charity for a good cause and one of neccesity

Deagol said:
I know this is wayyyyy off-topic, but

Isn't there plenty of this type of thing in the Bible (an eye for an eye, and all that)

It's also nice to cherry-pick what you decide to believe and ignore the rest from a book like that (i.e. the "pork" thing). Just saying, since you started the point about "rationalizing" and the irony of that is not lost on some.

To Quote Jesus:
Ye have heard that it hath been said, `An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.' But I say unto you that ye resist not evil, but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if any man will sue thee at the law and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also. And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him two. Give to him that asketh thee; and from him that would borrow of thee, turn not thou away. - Matthew 5: 38-42

Regardless, every person sincerely following any of the Judeo-Christian-Islamic religious traditions could be called a 'cherry-picker'. There is so much text out there it would be impossible to follow it all. I 'cherry-pick' (if thats what you want to call it) a path which in my view would lead to better world, subsequent to that I don't particularly care whether I or others eat pork, as just one trivial example.

A

Anonymous

bianchigirl said:
A chunk of which will be going to the Clinton Foundation - well, with the run for Governor in 2012 it's never to early to start greasing a few palms...

Sorry to be cynical - of course we may never know who has donated privately because those of us who aren't media *****s and publicity hounds usually prefer to give discreetly - self congratulation is just so vulgar, however good the cause

If we want to be completely cynical about it, we can pick apart the statement even more. Here goes.

"On behalf of Livestrong (Armstrong's cancer charity) we'll be donating 250,000 dollars to several organisations that are doing a lot of work down there, one of which is the Clinton Foundation."

So:

1. The $250,000 donation is not made directly to Haiti, but to organisations "doing a lot of work down there".

2. How do we therefore know the full $250,000 is to be directed to Haiti? Those "organisations" will obviously have other interests. Was Haiti even mentioned to those organisations on donation? It is even possible therefore that none of this money is intended for/will be seen in Haiti?

3. Therefore, do we know whether this payment would have been made anyway? Did Livestrong intend giving some money to the organisations(including the Clintons) anyway and LA used this "opportunity" to make more out of it than there actually is?

But then surely none of us are so cynical about him that we would believe he would use the death of thousands of people for publicity/image reasons or personal gain...

Oncearunner8

BANNED
Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
ChrisE said:
Well then maybe you should read it from the start instead of whining with your last page clicking ignorant dumba$$.

Here's something that needs some insight; maybe you can help:

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2010/01/13/crimesider/entry6092717.shtml

This goes back to my earlier grief. If Pat Robertson knew they made a devil's pact with France 200 years ago, where has all the preemptive praying been to cleanse this EQ-in-waiting all these years?

Now, the realization that LA didn't donate his personal money just really ****es us off even more.

The donation by phamstrong was an affront to the real issue. The tornado authorized the donation to his boy college and he made it happen. The motive is so when the next, next gUvhah election comes up he can make a go at it.

Me I am just worried about this guy who owns biosilk and chi. If he gets elected the lone star will geaux to hell.

Hibbles said:
But then surely none of us are so cynical about him that we would believe he would use the death of thousands of people for publicity/image reasons or personal gain...

I have to admit that I am. What exactly is purpose of announcing to the media that this donation is being made? Why not just make the donation without all the fanfare? I believe that there is a certain level of sincerity in the gift but at the same time, being completely familar with how he so adeptly manipulates the media like silly putty...I can't help but think there is more to it.

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
WHY does everyone thinks this?

Do you really not know what "on behalf of" means???

It's Armstrong's PERSONAL money, donated ON BEHALF of his foundation.

That means HE is giving HIS personal money, but the foundation gets the credit.

In Lance's words on Livestrong.org in a posting with today's date: "Earlier this week, I announced that LIVESTRONG pledged $250k to Partners-in-Health and Doctors Without Borders."

That's LIVESTRONG, not Armstrong that made the donation. Very odd that a charitable organization concerned with cancer has the mandate to make donations to unrelated charitable (political? - i.e., Clinton Foundation) organizations. How do you justify that to the fundraisers who spent time/effort/money with the notion that they were fighting cancer?

From the "about" page on LIVESTRONG: "That’s why we kick in at the moment of diagnosis, giving people the resources and support they need to fight cancer head-on."

How do you justify that you now have a quarter million fewer resources to do this?

And yes, I can question and criticise this while keeping thoughts towards those suffering in Haiti. They are not mutually exclusive. If money needs to be sent to Haiti, it is clear that it can/should be coming from another source.

John Swanson

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Digger said:
http://www.independent.ie/entertain...ionaire---the-chuck-feeney-story-1726824.html

Chuck Feeney has donated 750 million US dollars to third level institutions here in Ireland. One condition - if the Universities said where the money came, he would cease the donations. That for me is doing things for the right reason.

Didn't Lance treat his donations to the UCI for Testing Equipment this same way?

Maybe Chuck and Lance should have made their donations anonymously.

A

Anonymous

bianchigirl said:
Perhaps the title of the thread should be 'Livestrong to donate...' which would be factually accurate?

you think..? the statement was "“On behalf of Livestrong (Armstrong’s cancer charity) we’ll be donating $250,000 to several organizations that are doing a lot of work down there, one of which is the Clinton Foundation.

It does not say the money came from livestrong, but purely on behalf of.. for instance, if i wanted to donate $250,000 dollars but did not want the publicity myself but saw it as an opportunity to publicise another charity i would donate it and they would send the money "on behalf of"...

unless someone has a link that says that the money came from livestrong funding...?

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
dimspace said:
It does not say the money came from livestrong, but purely on behalf of.. for instance, if i wanted to donate $250,000 dollars but did not want the publicity myself but saw it as an opportunity to publicise another charity i would donate it and they would send the money "on behalf of"...

And then you would personally hold a press conference to announce the donation :D

A

Anonymous

twodimensional said:
And then you would personally hold a press conference to announce the donation :D

nope but the egomaniac head of the charity i used as a go between might do.. :D

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
For the people involved, money is money. Who care where it comes from or what the motives are for donating. Money is money at these times.

Don't like LA or the foundation but still help is needed.

I started a post on the general forum on what you are afraid of. THIS should be it for all of us. No one should judge where help comes from at a time of need.

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
L29205 said:
For the people involved, money is money. Who care where it comes from or what the motives are for donating. Money is money at these times.

I started a post on the general forum on what you are afraid of. THIS should be it for all of us. No one should judge where help comes from at a time of need.

Unless you have cancer and were hoping some of the LIVESTRONG money was going to help you out... You know, the cancer charity. The one that has a mandate for helping cancer victims.

John Swanson

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
richwagmn said:
You guys just need to lighten up and print some more money. Join the party.

I could almost throttle you for such an idiotic statement. Thankfully you were joking. Print more money. Hahahaha. On a serious side, that is the ultimate sign of economic mismanagement and incompetence.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
ScienceIsCool said:
Unless you have cancer and were hoping some of the LIVESTRONG money was going to help you out... You know, the cancer charity. The one that has a mandate for helping cancer victims.

John Swanson

Thousands of the quake victims also have cancer.
There, does that make you feel better?

A

Anonymous

ScienceIsCool said:

John Swanson

AGain.. nowhere does it say that it was livestrong money destined for cancer victims that was donated... "on behalf of"

dimspace said:
AGain.. nowhere does it say that it was livestrong money destined for cancer victims that was donated... "on behalf of"

Pray tell what other money does LiveStrong have?

http://livestrongblog.org/2010/01/13/livestrong-pledges-250000-to-haitian-relief-efforts/

Frankly I think this whole episode would have been a lot cleaner if Lance just donated the $250M directly to the other charities, instead of involving the LAF. It's not like he doesn't have the ducats (rumour has it he is picking up a decent cheque from the Australian government this week). Instead we have this bickering over where the funds come from, etc.

A good deed nonetheless. The Haitian people could use all the help they can get at this point.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
L29205 said:

Amen. A few million Haitians receiving food, water, or medical supplies have far more important things on their mind than questions about who gave what and with what motive in mind.

pedaling squares said:
Amen. A few million Haitians receiving food, water, or medical supplies have far more important things on their mind than questions about who gave what and with what motive in mind.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that providing financial aid to a country ravaged by war, famine and natural disasters is a bad thing. The objection is that those who donated their hard earned money to a cancer foundation because their lives may have been touched by cancer in someway want to see the money used for purpose the foundation supports - awareness.

The second objection is that the a board member of Livestrong decided alone that the foundation will donate this money to Haiti without consultation of the board nor its members and then to issue a press release with his name not that of the foundation. There's something wrong with that. Didn't break any laws and the world won't end because of it but can anyone really trust this man? I find him disgusting.

Armstrong appears to be in a constant state trying to prove to the world thats he's a good person rather than just being a good person.