• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong Under Criminal Investigation

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
mewmewmew13 said:
I believe now that Ashenden is ****ed and has an ax to grind with UCI for trying to make him look like a fool , that things are going to heat up quickly.

He's had a frustrating few months lately..this and his disagreement/CCN withdrawal ...I'm thinking he may be fed up with things and is ready to Samurai his way forward. :D

Ashenden will hang them out shortly.....and Carpani should choose silence at this point.

Scott SoCal said:
“Given Armstrong’s blood results have been published and are public record, and given we now know that the anonymous code assigned to Armstrong’s results is BPT374F23, it may be possible for the remaining experts to check their own records to confirm whether they ever saw Armstrong’s suspicious results,” Ashenden told Velonews.

“Since both the UCI and the Lausanne laboratory who enforced an eight-year confidentiality clause on the experts both have an interest in dismissing any hint of collusion with Armstrong, I hope and expect they will both now authorize the remaining experts to make public comment.”

Convenient that the eight year gag order is the same as the eight year statute of limitations. Mighty convenient.

Dr. Maserati said:
Maybe in the UCIs haste to show Ashenden was not correct they gave him the info he was looking for all along. They had the results, he had them too but didn't know which were LAs, now he has that.

Now he can release Armstrongs code and apply pressure on UCI to release more info - will the UCIs numbers match USADAs, or will it show that there was indeed suspicion on LAs numbers.

Hein and Pat operate pretty fast and loose, so this is possible.

And let's hope blood profile issues drag Wiesel's name back to the top of the media scrum. Savvy sportwriters could then ask the question, "Why is an IOC sanctioned federation suppressing positives?" Which, is a variation on the IOC scandal that started WADA....

There you go sportswriters, a free gift.

This all might be complicated by the fact Wonderboy might demand that his blood profiles not be published by Ashenden-friendly media outlets because it's private information.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Hein and Pat operate pretty fast and loose, so this is possible.

And let's hope blood profile issues drag Wiesel's name back to the top of the media scrum. Savvy sportwriters could then ask the question, "Why is an IOC sanctioned federation suppressing positives?" Which, is a variation on the IOC scandal that started WADA....

There you go sportswriters, a free gift.

This all might be complicated by the fact Wonderboy might demand that his blood profiles not be published by Ashenden-friendly media outlets because it's private information.

That is what one would expect from UCI & LA, but Carpani unwittingly violated that today.

As for Weisel, I do expect him to get exposed, but it will be through the USA cases, not through LA UCI.

I agree with DrMas theory that Ashenden played the Long Game and got the UCI (through their usual kneekerk reaction) to reveal a vital bit of information - Lances code number. If it worked for Ressiot (sic) ....

I believe Lance has forfeited any right to his tests (or biopassport date) remaining confidential by his admissions of doping to #DOPRAH. Sorry Lance, you cannot have your cake and eat it too. There ARE consequences to doping, and admitting to it.

I have raised this theory on several other threads, on twitter and on another forum - Lances biopassport data was NOT shown to the "expert panel". Because as captainbag, Ashenden, Parisotto and Moerkeberg (sic) have demonstrated, and USADA believe, there is clear irrefuteable evidence of doping immediately after the Giro and then blood bags plus microdosing EPO during the Tour. There is no other explanation how his Tour data did not raise any flags.

And here it is, at long last:
“Lance Armstrong’s profile was not flagged as being abnormal by the Athlete Blood Passport software at any time during the period 2008 to 2010. Consequently, it was not submitted to the experts again,” said the governing body in a communication issued today... the UCI has said that Lance Armstrong’s test results were not passed on to them [the expert panel] for assessment after May 4th 2009

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/1...ort-experts-after-May-2009.aspx#ixzz2Kjfnc85e

UCI have just been outed as being complicit in the greatest doiping scandal in history, and it is Lanes oops Lances blood and codenumber that have done it.

ps They ARE slow learners maybe Lance should have finished school after all, you would have thought after Ressiot (sic) in 2005 they would have leaned how to fudge the codes.

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
sittingbison said:
UCI have just been outed as being complicit in the greatest doiping scandal in history, and it is Lanes oops Lances blood and codenumber that have done it.

The UCI were already outed by USADA. In response they set up the independent commission to look into the allegations. Now that's been shutdown and I doubt the truth will ever be examined while Pat remains there.

In this, I can already hear Pat's words: "the software is operated by an independent panel and has nothing to do with the UCI".

As with everything else so far, nothing to do with the UCI. Its always someone else at fault.

sittingbison said:
I agree with DrMas theory that Ashenden played the Long Game and got the UCI (through their usual kneekerk reaction) to reveal a vital bit of information - Lances code number. If it worked for Ressiot (sic) ....

I believe Lance has forfeited any right to his tests (or biopassport date) remaining confidential by his admissions of doping to #DOPRAH. Sorry Lance, you cannot have your cake and eat it too. There ARE consequences to doping, and admitting to it.

I have raised this theory on several other threads, on twitter and on another forum - Lances biopassport data was NOT shown to the "expert panel". Because as captainbag, Ashenden, Parisotto and Moerkeberg (sic) have demonstrated, and USADA believe, there is clear irrefuteable evidence of doping immediately after the Giro and then blood bags plus microdosing EPO during the Tour. There is no other explanation how his Tour data did not raise any flags.

And here it is, at long last:

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/1...ort-experts-after-May-2009.aspx#ixzz2Kjfnc85e

ps They ARE slow learners maybe Lance should have finished school after all, you would have thought after Ressiot (sic) in 2005 they would have leaned how to fudge the codes.

"Greatest Doping Scandal in History" is evocative, but massively overblown. In the USA, all one has to do is look at any sampling of NFL pro football linemen, and one can see a MUCH bigger doping scandal. And those guys bash each others' brains out (literally).

MarkvW said:
"Greatest Doping Scandal in History" is evocative, but massively overblown. In the USA, all one has to do is look at any sampling of NFL pro football linemen, and one can see a MUCH bigger doping scandal. And those guys bash each others' brains out (literally).

While doping in the NFL is obviously as prevalent or even more so than pro cycling, it is not even a little bitty scandal until somebody makes something of it. And that simply ain't gonna happen.

MarkvW said:

veganrob said:
While doping in the NFL is obviously as prevalent or even more so than pro cycling, it is not even a little bitty scandal until somebody makes something of it. And that simply ain't gonna happen.

not only that, but surprisingly the rest of the world doesn't give a rats about NFL or baseball (non)doping scandals. Despite them being "World Series" and all ;)

shhhh best not mention Roger Clemens or Barry Bonds

peterst6906 said:
The UCI were already outed by USADA. In response they set up the independent commission to look into the allegations. Now that's been shutdown and I doubt the truth will ever be examined while Pat remains there.

In this, I can already hear Pat's words: "the software is operated by an independent panel and has nothing to do with the UCI".

As with everything else so far, nothing to do with the UCI. Its always someone else at fault.

Meaning if there are "teams" or riders who have the "exact" parameters of the software can therefore evade detection of the passport. They can fly 1% under the radar and still dope.

Armstrong's case is different but I'm sure there are Doctors and teams whom are obsessed with numbers and statistics who have this information.

Well done and sorry 3rd rate, mid pack fodder - you get caught.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
sittingbison said:
not only that, but surprisingly the rest of the world doesn't give a rats about NFL or baseball (non)doping scandals. Despite them being "World Series" and all ;)

shhhh best not mention Roger Clemens or Barry Bonds

_______________ you know,...

those are quintessentially American sports. LA came along and obliterated the Euros
at their own game yet got stung by an American led investigation.

Did it ever strike anyone as odd that he played a seriously rough
game of American Hardball, kicking Euro *ss in a European Arena,
but got clipped by Americans. What's more, the Great Unwashed Masses
aside, his greatest supporters appear to be Europeans!

Athlete Passport Management Unit (Long)

The UCI has crafted the best possible response to obfuscate the issue.

Reading the WADA documentation, the process is:
1. run tests on samples.
2. then tests documentation are sent to the APMU.

The APMU are people who use some software to at least manage cases. The APMU might pass results to experts for further examination where the case reaches some kind of conclusion.

EITHER
3a If results are flagged as abnormal the APMU passes results and all test documentation to experts.
OR
3b If results are NOT flagged as abnormal, apparently the APMU does nothing. That makes sense as it seems the experts are paid by some unit like hours for their services. No reason to pay them to look at negatives.

The UCI artfully dodge specifics about the sample results by releasing flagged as being abnormal Were the results suspicious or a false negative? We don't know.

The UCI apparently declared the test was not positive, the APMU never passed results onto experts for further analysis. But oh noes!!! What about Wonderboy's 4/10 score on the 2010 Index of Suspicion List?

During the time period in question, the recommended process as described by WADA has the APMU as being the Lab. (see below) The UCI's press release suggests this was the case.

The UCI has complete authority over the lab. It pays the bills! According to the WADA recommendations, the UCI tells the lab who to test and which tests to run based on passport history. So, if the UCI never tests Wonderboy's samples, the APMU has nothing to work with. They are claiming they did test Wonderboy's samples but which tests?

######Boring WADA Documentation
To create a framework for such independence, the sequence set out herein
includes the incorporation of an Athlete Passport Management Unit which
should be the central hub connecting Laboratory-generated biological data
with active test planning advice and intelligence.

This central hub (the APMU) may be associated with a WADA accredited
Laboratory’s operations, or be managed under the responsibility of an ADO.
While all such options are acceptable provided that their processes conform
to the necessary requirements set out in Appendix D (TD2010rmr), WADA
will support the establishment of Laboratory-affiliated APMUs as the preferred
method of ABP practice and engagement going forward.

###More boring WADA documentation
The Anti-Doping Organization identifies the Athlete of interest and
identifies what may be necessary for his or her Passport based on
what information is already available including the information
outlined in Article 3.2. This may include information such as the
Athlete’s past Testing history, existing Passport information,
available whereabouts and past Athlete Passport Management Unit
recommendations.

2. The Anti-Doping Organization identifies suitable timing for Sample
collection upon the recommendation of the Athlete Passport
Management Unit as appropriate.

3. The Anti-Doping Organization issues a Sample collection request
(“mission order”) based on the recommendations of the Athlete
Passport Management Unit, to a Sample collection agency or to
Doping Control Personnel. Preferably this will be delivered via
ADAMS to restrict the dissemination of this information.

The velonation story kind of confuses the issue towards the end.

I was just watching the Oprah interview again. She asks Lance if it was possible to win the TdF without doping. He answers no. Maybe Oprah should have asked if it was possible to place on the TdF podium without doping. That would have cornered Lance with his claim of being clean in 2009.

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Bosco10 said:
I was just watching the Oprah interview again. She asks Lance if it was possible to win the TdF without doping. He answers no. Maybe Oprah should have asked if it was possible to place on the TdF podium without doping. That would have cornered Lance with his claim of being clean in 2009.

The logical next question from his answer should have been:

"So you weren't trying to win the 2009 or 2010 tour then?"

The truth is as plain as his answer. He came back to win and in his view it is impossible to win without doping.

Bosco10 said:

I recall reading that Lance got the questions beforehand.

MarkvW said:
I recall reading that Lance got the questions beforehand.

Yes, I'm sure he did. He, LA, really has got to be a dim bulb. It should have been like taking an open book test. We should look closely to see if he has a cheat sheet or one of those bands the quarterbacks wear on their forearm to call plays with. Maybe he had one but took it off in defiance, LOL.

veganrob said:
Yes, I'm sure he did. He, LA, really has got to be a dim bulb. It should have been like taking an open book test. We should look closely to see if he has a cheat sheet or one of those bands the quarterbacks wear on their forearm to call plays with. Maybe he had one but took it off in defiance, LOL.

Lance has been rather indecisive ever since McBruggen abandoned him. He can't make up his mind whether or not he wants to project defiance or (something like) remorse. He wants to keep playing cards even though it's obvious that his hand is played out.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
MarkvW said:

Really? Do you have a link to this NFL scandal? It must be big news