• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong Under Criminal Investigation

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Aleajactaest said:
If the contributed to their outcome, they bear some of the blame. If you wish to say that all of the people on that list did NOTHING to contribute to what happened then it would not be true. I am not saying that Lance is not a far worse offender, but I do believe that we need to review each situation without prejudice and determine that entire chain of events. Despite the trend to dogmatically assume all outcomes are determined by thing Lance and Lance alone did, I don't think that a reasoned view will find that all are without sin and able to cast that first stone.
So let me get this straight..........
By not cow-towing to a lying & cheating bully Betsy Andreu "had it coming"?
By answering a legitimate question about Ferrari with a qualified answer Greg Lemond "had it coming"?

What planet are you from? Telling the truth and refusing to be swayed by threats & slurs upon your character is not something any society should admonish any individual for. While her husband isn't pure as the driven snow, neither she nor Greg Lemond deserved any of the vitriol Armstrong & his cronies orchestrated.

By your skewed "ethics" a rape victim deserved it because their skirt was too short.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
ultimobici said:
By answering a legitimate question about Ferrari with a qualified answer Greg Lemond "had it coming"?

What planet are you from? Telling the truth and refusing to be swayed by threats & slurs upon your character is not something any society should admonish any individual for. While her husband isn't pure as the driven snow, neither she nor Greg Lemond deserved any of the vitriol Armstrong & his cronies orchestrated.

By your skewed "ethics" a rape victim deserved it because their skirt was too short.

Planet LieStrong ;)

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
Criminal indictment? Better call Saul!
3oou4t.jpg

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
reginagold said:
This doesn't really make one proud of that wholesome family owned business called Trek. Lemond has family ties to area near their main facilities/headquarters, didn't seem to help him a bit when Trek felt the pressure from LA. Wonder if any of LA's sponsors will be caught up in the obstruction investigation. Perhaps even a well known foundation acting through its chairman?
Likely yes. Oakley. Will Oakley and their stellar sales rep take a fall or will they rat out Armstrong and perhaps some of his close advisers and/or attorneys?

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
Cimacoppi49 said:
Likely yes. Oakley. Will Oakley and their stellar sales rep take a fall or will they rat out Armstrong and perhaps some of his close advisers and/or attorneys?

formerlyfastfreddyp said:
That's classic! Do you think OneNut had a tough time breaking bad?

There's a lawyer in SoCal who has ads on TV where he says "enough said, call Fred." (callfred.com) Reminded me of slime ball Saul!

Fred may soon be the best Armstrong can afford. :)

ultimobici said:

LOL, in before it gets locked

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Cimacoppi49 said:

Oh yeah, I forgot that we already know about this. Any clinicians know if there any SOL that applies to acts of witness intimidation?

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
reginagold said:
I'm sorry, who is under criminal investigation? Oh, yes - Lance. Wonder if that means USADA has been forced to stand down any talks with him - as happened the last time DOJ was looking into Mr. Armstrong's activities. The obstruction of justice investigation of Mr. Armstrong was revealed at the same time that USADA gave a two week extension. Seems clear to me that USADA would not have ventured in assuming Lance could and actually might, speak with them under oath had USADA known of the DOJ investigation. Now probably the two week extension is really "as long as the DOJ takes for its investigation - plus a week or two." Any obstruction of justice, while impacting the DOJ prior investigation, would also impact the evidence the USADA would have to consider in any determination of "substantial assistance." USADA/WADA now frozen.

So the USADA two week clock continues to tick tock along. Feb. 20th approaches. Maybe, despite my earlier thoughts (pompously quoting self above) LA will try to give evidence to USADA if he can get some kind of agreement it won't be used in the obstruction of justice investigation - or any legal actions resulting from that investigation. That looks like the best move he could try to make right now given the bad cards he is holding. But I think this unlikely.

reginagold said:
So the USADA two week clock continues to tick tock along. Feb. 20th approaches. Maybe, despite my earlier thoughts (pompously quoting self above) LA will try to give evidence to USADA if he can get some kind of agreement it won't be used in the obstruction of justice investigation - or any legal actions resulting from that investigation. That looks like the best move he could try to make right now given the bad cards he is holding. But I think this unlikely.

This is where Wonderboy digs into his backpack of courage and turns a pedal in anger and insists it happen on his terms. Fight Wonderboy! Fight! :D

reginagold said:
Oh yeah, I forgot that we already know about this. Any clinicians know if there any SOL that applies to acts of witness intimidation?

Regarding the Oakley angle, I would be surprised if anyone who can prosecute will dredge that one up. They didn't then during the SCA contract dispute, so I think that horse has left the barn.

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
The president of the international doping organization WADA, John Fahey, is willing to give Lance Armstrong discount on the lifetime quarantine, he received as a result of revelations that the former seven-times Tour winner has doped massively in his career.

The only possible chance to change something, if Lance Armstrong indicates to the USADA (the U.S. anti-doping authorities, ed.), That he will testify under oath. Not on a TV program, but under oath and to the proper authorities, and he must submit to a regular cross-examination. If this has substance, it may well be that USADA will consider reducing the lifetime ban to a minimum of eight years of quarantine, said John Fahey according to cyclingnews.com.

The WADA president has, however, not great expectations that Armstrong will seize this opportunity.

- I see no indication that Mr. Armstrong has the will to do it, and I will be very surprised if he takes it. I would love to see it happen, but I would be very surprised if it ever happens, said Fahey, who did not conceal his limited sympathy for Lance Armstrong.

And so right he is, no way Liestrong will ever be dictated in which form he should "confess"

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
mewmewmew13 said:
I think he means Lance....
UCI covering blood values from 09 TDF?....

...I'm trying to think in 'hoggie' mode

Yep. This might cause a problem;

“Given Armstrong’s blood results have been published and are public record, and given we now know that the anonymous code assigned to Armstrong’s results is BPT374F23, it may be possible for the remaining experts to check their own records to confirm whether they ever saw Armstrong’s suspicious results,” Ashenden told Velonews.

“Since both the UCI and the Lausanne laboratory who enforced an eight-year confidentiality clause on the experts both have an interest in dismissing any hint of collusion with Armstrong, I hope and expect they will both now authorize the remaining experts to make public comment.”

Carpani's eagerness to discredit Ashenden may cause some serious blowback. I don't think Ashenden is just gonna sit on his hands and let the UCI run over him

I believe now that Ashenden is ****ed and has an ax to grind with UCI for trying to make him look like a fool , that things are going to heat up quickly.

He's had a frustrating few months lately..this and his disagreement/CCN withdrawal ...I'm thinking he may be fed up with things and is ready to Samurai his way forward. :D

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
mewmewmew13 said:
I believe now that Ashenden is ****ed and has an ax to grind with UCI for trying to make him look like a fool , that things are going to heat up quickly.

He's had a frustrating few months lately..this and his disagreement/CCN withdrawal ...I'm thinking he may be fed up with things and is ready to Samurai his way forward. :D

Maybe in the UCIs haste to show Ashenden was not correct they gave him the info he was looking for all along. They had the results, he had them too but didn't know which were LAs, now he has that.

Now he can release Armstrongs code and apply pressure on UCI to release more info - will the UCIs numbers match USADAs, or will it show that there was indeed suspicion on LAs numbers.