• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong Under Criminal Investigation

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
skidmark said:
What I think is that this is not going to be a popular first post. If you are stating it innocently, edit and back away, now.

And yes I want to see him prosecuted, to answer your 'real' question. Those are my thoughts.

Didn't come for a popularity contest, but what is unpopular about it? He lost his titles. He confessed. I think most people would say that is enough. Are you stating you want him in jail? Is that the "popular" position? I haven't found that to be the case anywhere else, why is different here?

Can you explain why you want him in jail and how this is good for the sport?

Do you ask for all unpopular opinions to be edited?

FairWayForward said:
I think most people would say that is enough. Are you stating you want him in jail?

If he committed a crime, then appropriate punishment should be given, irrespective of who it is, or whether or not it is good for the sport.

FairWayForward said:
Didn't come for a popularity contest, but what is unpopular about it? He lost his titles. He confessed. I think most people would say that is enough. Are you stating you want him in jail? Is that the "popular" position? I haven't found that to be the case anywhere else, why is different here?

The laws are what concerns me personally, not what most idiots think. The good of the sport excuse has been pile-driven into the ground for ages, time for a little accountability. The enabling, good of the sport nonsense is what got us into this sh##heap of a mess in the first place.

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Random Direction said:
If he committed a crime, then appropriate punishment should be given, irrespective of who it is, or whether or not it is good for the sport.

Thanks for answering.

The decision to prosecute is subjective and looks at the wider context. It will be interesting to know now, post confession and apology tour, if Tyler really wants him in jail for the Cashe cache incident. I think at worse he should apologise and pay a fine, but really I don't want the case to go forward because the sport needs to draw a line. Not only has Lance suffered enough, but if Lance has to give testimony to TRC by video link from supermax then it's going to be a real downer on the proceedings.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
FairWayForward said:

Spout your drivel.....you'll banned by lunchtime!!

Point is he broke the law, he deserves to be punished for that, apologists need to remember that simple fact, his actions were criminal!

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The good of the sport, ha ha. I can't remember boxing disappearing when Mike Tyson was sent down. Better go back to the millions-of-innocent-children-that-will-die-of-cancer-if-Amstrong-is-locked-up line. We haven't heard this one for a while.

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Siriuscat said:
Spout your drivel.....you'll banned by lunchtime!!

Point is he broke the law, he deserves to be punished for that, apologists need to remember that simple fact, his actions were criminal!

I guess I'm more liberal on these matters than you Joe Arpaio types. I don't think it's outrageous to suggest it's rather petty to for the feds to proceed with these minor charges at this late stage, when they've stopped all the heavy stuff. I don't think most of the people trying to clean the sport up really want Lance to go to jail for being annoyed with Tyler. Lance has suffered enough. Does even Tyler want that? Would his opinion matter to anyone here? If a football player can escape a double murder charge and play the superbowl, I think we can spare Lance jail for this stuff.

Interesting to know what JV thinks. I suspect he would agree with my sentiments.

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
jackwolf said:
The good of the sport, ha ha. I can't remember boxing disappearing when Mike Tyson was sent down. Better go back to the millions-of-innocent-children-that-will-die-of-cancer-if-Amstrong-is-locked-up line. We haven't heard this one for a while.

Cycling wouldn't disappear, but there's already been a big sponsor crush, and the reputation has been hit hard. I can't see why anyone would welcome adding to that. And yes, he's left his foundation and they've taken a big hit too. I can't see why anyone would want them to suffer more either.

I don't get it. I honestly don't. Is it just a game?

If there are people here who don't want to see Lance in jail, it will be interesting to see if they have the courage to speak up. If they remain silent, I will assume they agree with the Joe Arpaio's.

May 26, 2009
www.parrabuddy.blogspot.com
Coming upto 12 months since Birrotte dropped the Grand Jury Investigation and i said there would be a renewal , after the 100day " Honeymoon " for the Administration .

Looks like there are some out there , who would use this as a way to further their career profile . Expect more , as time goes on !

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Iker_Baqueiro said:
F*ck you "fairwayforward" ... F*ck you bpc

____________ I like where this is going.
____________ I'm not a war monger. Really.
____________ It's just that I see "out for blood" [or so I suppose]
____________ on one side and then, . . .
____________ in comes this fellow with the "enough is enough"
____________ mantra and he gets the royal treatment.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
i have said on several occasions that one reason armstrong continued lying about NOT doping in 2009-10 was due to a relatively light evidence (compared to 1999-2005) that the usada report presented...

that might be so, but it is now increasingly clear to me (as was pointed by others) that the main reason for the lie was legal - the 5 year sol. he thought he'd avoid criminal prosecution for the federal crimes listed in the referenced article - intimidation of witnesses etc....

this brings us the full circle back to the strength of evidence that the feds can uncover regarding Armstrong doping in 2009-10.

it does not take much to convince me that armstrong blatantly lied but will the usada evidence be enough for the federal case that, as i understand, is subject to a higher legal standard - beyond reasonable doubt ?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Archibald said:
unbelievable!
the lives this guy destroyed and we're being told to let it slide... a telling off and a wrist-slap should do for him??
pffft!! ridiculous

____________ I'm pretty much emphasizing this sentiment.

python said:
i have said on several occasions that one reason armstrong continued lying about NOT doping in 2009-10 was due to a relatively light evidence (compared to 1999-2005) that the usada report presented...

that might be so, but it is now increasingly clear to me (as was pointed by others) that the main reason for the lie was legal - the 5 year sol. he thought he'd avoid criminal prosecution for the federal crimes listed in the referenced article - intimidation of witnesses etc....

this brings us the full circle back to the strength of evidence that the feds can uncover regarding Armstrong doping in 2009-10.

it does not take much to convince me that armstrong blatantly lied but will the usada evidence be enough for the federal case that, as i understand, is subject to a higher legal standard - beyond reasonable doubt ?

I think you are missing the point: this isn't about doping/not doping.
..its about witness intimidation & perverting the course of justice.

In the UK we have one of our senior MP's heading to jail shortly for this crime.
Its nothing to do with sport, doping or cycling or speeding in a car.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm sort of feeling just a little stymied per my style of getting things out exactly the way I like them [mostly due to certain editorial concerns] and yet be that as it may, I still feel confident hi-lighinting the disparity betwixt driving him onward to his Golgotha and the more common "after a while he's suffered enough already" refrain.

__________________ Malice is two way mirror, but with a profound delay.

Random Direction said:
My count is that it took a whole 47 minutes for him to be banned. Gotta be a new record.

Do folk get banned here for spouting drivel?
There is a real world outside the clinic where lots of people think like him.

I don't, and I found his posts completely wrong, but then I think that about quite a lot of posts here:eek:

coinneach said:
Do folk get banned here for spouting drivel?
There is a real world outside the clinic where lots of people think like him.

I don't, and I found his posts completely wrong, but then I think that about quite a lot of posts here:eek:

I think you will find s/he was banned for reasons other than spouting drivel coinneach ;)

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
"Agents are actively investigating Armstrong for obstruction, witness tampering and intimidation."

with regards to
''investigating Armstrong for crimes reportedly including drug distribution, fraud and conspiracy''

looks to me like a slap on the wrist. Get him/Bruyneel/Celaya etc for distribution, fraud and conspiracy please.

But, perhaps we should be happy there is an investigation after all. I am no expert on US law but the obstruction part looks to me as the important part.

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
FairWayForward said:

I'm with you, FairWayForward. I've always viewed sports as just another form of entertainment and feel I've gotten my money's worth out of being a fan of the sport and even a fan of Armstrong's on-bike performances. But lots of self-righteously altruistic individuals in the clinic think that makes me a troll. cest la vie.

Oh, and to answer your question: Hating Armstrong IS the "popular" position in this forum, as are ad-hominem attacks towards those who posit otherwise.