• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong Under Criminal Investigation

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
The federal investigation is back on. Things have been elevated to an office higher than Andre Birotte.

My favorite part of the article...
"Today, a high level source told ABC News, "Birotte does not speak for the federal government as a whole."

The source said that Birotte is not in the loop on the current criminal inquiry, which is being run out of another office."

If it is just the Hamilton thing then I cannot see this getting very far; but given Armstrong's nature, it is good assumption that contacted other people he should not have. I can easily see Armstrong suborning a whole bunch of ex-riders and staff.

BroDeal said:
If it is just the Hamilton thing then I cannot see this getting very far; but given Armstrong's nature, it is good assumption that contacted other people he should not have. I can easily see Armstrong suborning a whole bunch of ex-riders and staff.

It could easily be extended to Betsy, Mike Anderson, Emma, Stephanie, etc.

He admitted his intimidation of Betsy and Emma on Oprah.

Dave.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Looks like who ever is pursuing the case sidestepped the LiveStrong PAC ;)

Lance is probably going to start calling his cronies in DC, or those he gave a br..., I mean donation to :D

D-Queued said:
It could easily be extended to Betsy, Mike Anderson, Emma, Stephanie, etc.

He admitted his intimidation of Betsy and Emma on Oprah.

That is way outside the SOL. I am thinking that once he got wind of the federal investigation, he may have done the same thing he did during the SCA arbitration, which was to induce people to sign false affidavits. He and his lawyers have successfully used those tactics in the past, you have to think that they would not have problems with using them in the present. I also can easily see him threatening people or offering some sort of reward for helping him.

Regardless, the partners at Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe, D.C. office, are probably throwing a party tomorrow. More fees coming their way. Armstrong must be bleeding money right now.

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Ferminal said:
What was the blabbering earlier today about then? Birotte getting nervous?
I think Birotte got ambushed (very effectively) with a question he wasn't expecting.
He's not going to be a happy camper to know he's on the outside looking in on the latest high-profile action.

BroDeal said:
Armstrong must be bleeding money right now.

That is the one thing we can be sure of, regardless of how this investigation turns out. Just when maybe he was thinking he wouldn't have to pay SCA $12 million. And I suppose it increases the chances of Qui Tam?

benzwire said:
Could some of this include possible threats against Tygart?

I wouldn't be surprised. I don't think he was the one who threatened to put a bullet in his head, but I can definitely see LA making other kinds of threats, if he thought his tracks were covered.

But maybe he could win all these cases against him on Strava? Couldn't he just post data showing that in some obscure Texas courtroom he was declared not guilty of all charges?

Wasn't there some evidence in the USADA Decision that mentioned him sending around emails saying 'hey, we're just getting everyone to sign these forms saying they didn't see doping on the team. Just wondering if you could do it too'... I dunno if that constitutes witness tampering, and I believe the email it was from was to Stefano Ferrari, but that's the first thing that comes to my mind in terms of false testimony. But I dunno how serious that was, or how serious the forms were...

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
This is not that much of a surprise to many. There were hints of other investigations going on. Though I'm sure Armstrong is pleased the big investigation is now closed down, it appears the incident with Tyler is still being investigated by another group of feds.

Does anyone want to see Armstrong prosecuted for this? I can't see how it helps the sport to have his name in the news regarding ongoing investigations. Would even Tyler really want him prosecuted?

Be interesting to know what people think?

FairWayForward said:
This is not that much of a surprise to many. There were hints of other investigations going on. Though I'm sure Armstrong is pleased the big investigation is now closed down, it appears the incident with Tyler is still being investigated by another group of feds.

Does anyone want to see Armstrong prosecuted for this? I can't see how it helps the sport to have his name in the news regarding ongoing investigations. Would even Tyler really want him prosecuted?

Hi, BPC....

FairWayForward said:

What I think is that this is not going to be a popular first post. If you are stating it innocently, edit and back away, now.

And yes I want to see him prosecuted, to answer your 'real' question. Those are my thoughts.