• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong warns all his rivals!

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Roadhouse said:
The one thing we all seem to be forgetting is that Big Lance has most of the people on either team on his team, so to speak. even if his radioshack team falls behind and can not offer assistance, it's not gonna be a problem for him to latch onto the tails of Contadors team and use the hell out of them. He knows them probably better than they know themselves and who better else suited to pull him around all day long? And that is IF Contador can even ride in the front without Big Lance's help which i doubt he can. I also doubt he will even podium this Tour.

and it is 8 Tour reigns, not seven.

my two NON arguable cents. :)

This guy´s funny.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I smell trouble

I think Contador will be 3rd. First Lance, second Schleck the younger.

Contador is way more gifted phisically then Lance. But then again so was Jan U.

Lance has his psycho killer instinct to pull him through+ superior training.

I smell trouble inside Astana and the Shack will have the best support for a tour winner.

I am not a big Lance fan but I have to give him credit where credit is due.

Besides domestic pro criteriums? The turkey who wrote that has never ridden Nevada City. Guess who has won that race. Greggy boy.

I looked at Lances speed average at Nevada city and Albertos TT speed in the Spainish time trial championships last year. Comparable if you know Nevada City. Watch out for this Animal Lance at the Tour.

A

Anonymous

flicker said:

I smell trouble inside Astana and the Shack will have the best support for a tour winner.

Besides domestic pro criteriums? The turkey who wrote that has never ridden Nevada City. Guess who has won that race. Greggy boy.

I looked at Lances speed average at Nevada city and Albertos TT speed in the Spainish time trial championships last year. Comparable if you know Nevada City. Watch out for this Animal Lance at the Tour.

Comparing Nevada City (I was at the race) to what is required of him to win the Tour is a joke. After Nevada City last year, Lance thought he had the ball to win the Tour. He was very mistaken. I think you underestimate how good Contador and Schlecklet are.

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:

So I guess Nevada is hilly?

but anyway it seems a bit odd to compare TT with criterium

A

Anonymous

Tangled Tango said:
This guy´s funny.

Yeah, I've got him on my ignore list, so I only see when other people quote him. So let's see some of the contenders for Astana's Tour de France team. Pereiro, Jufre, Allan Davis, Tiralongo, Noval, Navarro, De la Fuente, Hernandez, Vino, Zeits - there are others, but which of these would be some how willing to abandon Contador during the race and what, start pulling LA up the mountains on international television? I'd think the only one in the world who might believe that is the man himself. Lance, is it you posting this nonsense?

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site

Last edited by Bike Boy; Today at 01:30.

Hey ace. Nevada City Criterium is on the side of a hill/mountain in a California Gold town. The uphill is tt like with an uphill acceleration. The downhill screams. Drafting is a non issue but pacing is.

Greg LeMond won that race, I think Gary Fischer was second one year.

It is tough. Check it out.

I know that you think Lance is over the hill but he did take 3rd in the Tour.

I think Lance can win it. I know that baby Schleck and Al are superior, but Lance has the head to beat them, a combo of smarts , savy, ruthlessness.

You boys need to go and ride your bikes. Lance beat Ulrich and Ulrich was superior in strength and speed. Think about it.....

flicker said:

but LA said/used/applied those methods last year-and guess who won it afterward.....:):)

020108-tour-de-france-alberto-contador.jpg

flicker said:

Hey ace. Nevada City Criterium is on the side of a hill/mountain in a California Gold town. The uphill is tt like with an uphill acceleration. The downhill screams. Drafting is a non issue but pacing is.

I think Lance can win it. I know that baby Schleck and Al are superior, but Lance has the head to beat them, a combo of smarts , savy, ruthlessness.

You boys need to go and ride your bikes. Lance beat Ulrich and Ulrich was superior in strength and speed. Think about it.....
Then again, I doubt Contador/Andy Schleck will suddenly eat an immense amount of pie and get really, really fat.

flicker said:

This is what happens when you fall off your bike while not wearing a helmet. :eek:

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
hey go Contador, go Andy Schleck, go Levi, go Bob Gesink go Cadel, go Basson-Hagen. I just want to see a competetive Tour, enertaining etc.

I wish all the turkeys out there in this forum could quit the Lance pe -nis envy and get out on their bikes. Thats' what I am going to do right now. The sun is so bright out and it has quit raining!

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Oh yeah I forgot, good luck Wiggens, Carlos S., Jens, H. Haussler, all the new sponsors and up and coming riders.

Thanks Lance for throwing down the gauntlet.

Now what a day to ride....

flicker said:
hey go Contador, go Andy Schleck, go Levi, go Bob Gesink go Cadel, go Basson-Hagen. I just want to see a competetive Tour, enertaining etc.

I wish all the turkeys out there in this forum could quit the Lance pe -nis envy and get out on their bikes. Thats' what I am going to do right now. The sun is so bright out and it has quit raining!

Easy for you to say and do, since you're in sunny California!:(

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Sorry you guys are snowed under/ rained in. I just got an ozone fix watching the waves, riding Pebble Beach 17 mile drive in 60o weather. Got some damn fine young riders/junior riders in the area. Kinda rough on this old guy....

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
Sorry you guys are snowed under/ rained in. I just got an ozone fix watching the waves, riding Pebble Beach 17 mile drive in 60o weather. Got some damn fine young riders/junior riders in the area. Kinda rough on this old guy....

frankly, I'm sorry i took a shot at you, normally your posts are at least as intelligent as the rest of us, and I don't throw you in with the fanboys, maybe a fan but not a fanboy. But seriously, trying to compare a crit breakaway with a TT? I don't care the course, I've seen TTs over the same course same guys, different days have vastly different speeds. So different type of race, different course, different weather...please.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I really want to see Lance win 8. I have to eat my words though, because Schleck(baby) and Contador are young and awesome.

So, why does Lance taunt? Habit maybe or perhaps some alternate subtrafuge.

Also I am sorry about comparing a LA Nevada City win to a National ChampionshipTT victory by Al.

Al is quicker in TT and hill climbing than LA.

Good luck to Lance Contador, Andy and the rest.

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
I really want to see Lance win 8. I have to eat my words though, because Schleck(baby) and Contador are young and awesome.

So, why does Lance taunt? Habit maybe or perhaps some alternate subtrafuge.

Also I am sorry about comparing a LA Nevada City win to a National ChampionshipTT victory by Al.

Al is quicker in TT and hill climbing than LA.

Good luck to Lance Contador, Andy and the rest.

Finally the doctor provided your medication :D:D:D

you are not alone though I have been a Fan of Armstrong for many years and I can't imaging how awesome it would be if he did it.

A

Anonymous

I only saw this because Contador was mentioned in Google News.

Patrick Jonker is also sending a warning to Armstrong's rivals, via Adelaide Now.

"I think he's going to have a really good, serious last year on the bike, especially at the Tour de France," he said. "I think Lance can beat (last year's Tour de France champion) Alberto Contador.

Lance told La Gazzetta dello Sport just five weeks ago that he's going to race two more years. Who got it wrong?

"In 2010 Lance will be 15 per cent better than what he was last year."

No comment.

Armstrong is a perfectionist, Jonker adds. "He'll be looking up google earth to check out the stages and the (geographic) profiles.

I remember when perfectionists showed up at a race early and rode key parts of stages with teammates, especially when the stages are shorter and not mountainous.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,26585721-5018559,00.html

Joey_J

BANNED
Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
First of all, Lance never “warned” his rivals, he answered a question. He answered it the exact same way the 10 favorites would answer it.

Number one goal?
The Tour
You think you can win it?
Yes
You’re going to win the Tour??
Don’t know but I will try 100%
Can you beat Alberto?
Don’t know but I think I can. I’ll try. Wouldn’t do it if I didn’t think I had a chance.

Schleck, Armstrong, Wiggans and Menchov all answered the questions the same way.
Why turn everything Lance says into a drama??

A

Anonymous

Well, it's good he's warning his rivals, but ignore all those announcements about his race schedule because he's taking it all back. The head to head against Contador in Catalunya? No clue. The individual classics? Dunno. Dauphine? Shoulder shrug. Continue racing in 2011? There's definitely a 50/50 chance.

Armstrong also emphasized his race program has yet to be finalized after the Tour of Murcia (March 3-7). He mentioned the Tour of Flanders (April 4) as a possibility, the Tour of California (May 16-23) as a sure thing and then a choice to be made between the Dauphiné (June 6-13) and the Tour de Suisse (June 12-20) in the lead up to the Tour de France starting on July 3rd in Rotterdam. "I wouldn't be sitting here today if I didn't think I can win the Tour de France," he said.

Paris-Nice starts on March 7, so he definitely won't take on Contador there.

Armstrong insisted his chances of continuing with road racing beyond 2010 depend on how he performs at the Tour de France. "It's 50-50," he said. His chances to take part in the World Championship in Geelong on October 3 also depends on how he rides at the Tour de France.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/armstrong-considers-backing-up-farrar-at-worlds

It's useless to even listen to anything he says, as he keeps taking it back or contradicting himself.

ravens

BANNED
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
(1) He said the same thing before the 2009 Tour de France (He thought he could win; was hitting all of his 2002 numbers in training, etc.)

(2) I for one don't say it JUST because of his age. I say because he no longer has the extra kick and ability to ride away from people that he had in 1999-2002. He lost that before he retired and I don't see how he gets in back. Coupled with the fact that the competition is better and just now getting into their primes (Andy Schleck and Alberto Contador). So it's not just because he's 38 that I don't believe that he can win.

Yeah, he is amazing, especially given his age. But it seems in the last 10-15 years, a lot of athletes are finding a fountain of youth: Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, Brett Favre.

What is there to stop another one?