• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong's financial situation

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
The greatest bit of irony in all this is that this his house of cards is thanks in large part to his compulsion to surround himself with nothing but yes-men. Now that the house is caving in...the yes-men are the last thing he needs yet most likely the only thing he has left.

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Bannockburn said:
The greatest bit of irony in all this is that this his house of cards is thanks in large part to his compulsion to surround himself with nothing but yes-men. Now that the house is caving in...the yes-men are the last thing he needs yet most likely the only thing he has left.

Not enough "probing" has been done as it relates to the operations and tactics of CS&E's role in all of this; specifically, the role's of Knaggs and Stapleton in all of this, because Wonderboy did not think of all this s**t himself. But of course, without LA's wins, CS&E would not have risen to the role of prominence that they enjoy in Austin, and all of the business dealings and money that came from LA's "wins".

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Velodude said:
Sally can't let go. No time to keep up with Lance news except for:

Assume: Supposes to be the case without proof.

To Sally, journalist. An affidavit is a sworn statement of facts and is evidence in a court of law.

People do this all the time on both sides of any opinion.

Sally has quite a bit of time and effort invested with Lance so it will be difficult for her to draw a conclusion.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
BBzzzzt! Wrong. Wonderboy's podiums have evaporated, the sporting myth shattered. I could go on with some other nonsense you posted, but your case doesn't get any better the more you write.

Wonderboy can't stay away, so there's more embarrassment coming for him. Maybe you'll be one of the dozen or so people standing in line at a bike show for an autographed 8x10 while hundreds steer clear of the stain a decade from now?

Dave, I'd argue another factor to Wiesel's system is the IOC silo. Their sports are set up similarly. Money talks, rules are there to lend an air of legitimacy, but IOC blessed sports administration is pretty much non-transparent.

Not at all sure what you are saying will turn out to be true. Sure it is bad now but just how bad is it? The test will be to see if people still follow him in any way or if he is ignored. I have a hard time believing that the fans that followed him through all these years will ALL jump ship. Time will tell.

This forum is not a great indicator with regards to Lance and his fans.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Glenn_Wilson said:

I beg to differ. It is a great indicator. All his fnss who have come on here to defend wonderboy have shown themselves to be incredibly stupid and shallow.

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Glenn_Wilson said:
People do this all the time on both sides of any opinion.

Sally has quite a bit of time and effort invested with Lance so it will be difficult for her to draw a conclusion.

It is possible that Sally is so pi55ed and humiliated that she is putting on a brave face, but seething privately. Her cred has taken a massive hit that may hinder future opportunities in journalism. For sure, the zero objectivity in her writings regarding Lance has come home to roost. Poor Sally.....

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Glenn_Wilson said:

Very true. Because there's actual cycling fans in here that know what Lance is all about. Lances' fanboys have no idea what type of person he is, or what he has really done. They just worship him, and the things that are said about him in here are blasphemy. :)

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Glenn_Wilson said:
Not at all sure what you are saying will turn out to be true. Sure it is bad now but just how bad is it? The test will be to see if people still follow him in any way or if he is ignored. I have a hard time believing that the fans that followed him through all these years will ALL jump ship. Time will tell.

But, Glenn, what is LA's platform? He's retired from pro cycling, banned from sanctioned triathlons, sacked from Livestrong, without sponsors or many speeches, and a punchline in popular culture.

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Fortyninefourteen said:
Her cred has taken a massive hit that may hinder future opportunities in journalism. For sure, the zero objectivity in her writings regarding Lance has come home to roost. Poor Sally.....

I'm shocked Washington Post still employs her. Maybe not for long.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Page Mill Masochist said:
But, Glenn, what is LA's platform? He's retired from pro cycling, banned from sanctioned triathlons, sacked from Livestrong, without sponsors or many speeches, and a punchline in popular culture.

Well yeah those are all good points. I just think that there will still be people who follow him and it will not just be "a dozen or so" people standing in a autograph line.

Contrary to what we talk about here you can still find people who have some weird faith in this guy. It is hard for me to explain and I could come up with some examples of a few guys here at my office. These are not cycling fans and some were not even Lance fans. Yet they have a retort to the USADA bannination and subsequent stripping of the TDF podiums.

So if there are still people coming up with excusses for him then it would not take long before he is back in the mix. How does he get there? I have no idea but I would not rule it out.

There is obsesion on the subject coming from many directions. I still find myself coming on here to see what is being said about him by the prolific posters here.

The genuine information that is shared here is great to know, but I am not a fish hack here parusing and trying to catch some inside info on the cheap,,,,, so the only thing I do with the information is read it for my own enjoyment.

Dave says up thread that people are still being paid to post here. I have a very hard time believing that. Maybe before? Now? Sounds farfetched.

Glenn_Wilson said:
Well yeah those are all good points. I just think that there will still be people who follow him and it will not just be "a dozen or so" people standing in a autograph line.

Contrary to what we talk about here you can still find people who have some weird faith in this guy. It is hard for me to explain and I could come up with some examples of a few guys here at my office. These are not cycling fans and some were not even Lance fans. Yet they have a retort to the USADA bannination and subsequent stripping of the TDF podiums.

So if there are still people coming up with excusses for him then it would not take long before he is back in the mix. How does he get there? I have no idea but I would not rule it out.

There is obsesion on the subject coming from many directions. I still find myself coming on here to see what is being said about him by the prolific posters here.

The genuine information that is shared here is great to know, but I am not a fish hack here parusing and trying to catch some inside info on the cheap,,,,, so the only thing I do with the information is read it for my own enjoyment.

Dave says up thread that people are still being paid to post here. I have a very hard time believing that. Maybe before? Now? Sounds farfetched.

You make some good points here Glenn. Humans are a strange species and have the capacity to have some pretty weird attitudes. I can understand why many people could care less about Armstrong, but it is harder to understand why they would still worship him (and worship isn't too strong a word).

Maybe nobody is being paid to post here (anymore?) but I don't doubt that Armstrong and his paid thugs are still attempting to manipulate public opinion in various ways including planting comments. Admittedly it is difficult to differentiate between paid hacks and brainless worshippers.

myth

frenchfry said:
Humans are a strange species and have the capacity to have some pretty weird attitudes. I can understand why many people could care less about Armstrong, but it is harder to understand why they would still worship him (and worship isn't too strong a word).

don't forget the power of the myth that was created about lance.........all

carefully constructed as a marketing / $ making enterprise

i surprise myself ...lance has lost so much but i'm still looking out for news

hoping that lance loses everything he gained by the fraud

for the likes of myself and other clinic posters there must be more lance

worshippers who can't say good bye to that hero..........it was such a

good story

mind i do laugh at the idea that many 'fans' get paid to post here

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
frenchfry said:
You make some good points here Glenn. Humans are a strange species and have the capacity to have some pretty weird attitudes. I can understand why many people could care less about Armstrong, but it is harder to understand why they would still worship him (and worship isn't too strong a word).
Maybe nobody is being paid to post here (anymore?) but I don't doubt that Armstrong and his paid thugs are still attempting to manipulate public opinion in various ways including planting comments. Admittedly it is difficult to differentiate between paid hacks and brainless worshippers.

Yes it is hard for anyone who has paid any attention to the facts. The worship comment is about right on target in more ways than one. In my experiences with some who "worship" Lance there is a common theme - they all have a very limited knowledge of cycling and have not been fans of the sport prior to 1999. I could go on a major rant about it but I think you know where I am coming from on that.

When he switched to Triatholon it was such a great fit in my opinion. You have all the age groupers geeking out about what new Time Trial bike to drop above6 grand on. They were a match made in Heaven. It is a shame that Lance was banninated from Tri’s. It was going to be fun watching clips of his runs getting gunned by a age grouper and his running form looked like a scarecrow with a corn cob rammed up his Exit.

If Lance is indeed wasting money on public opinion hacks then he must have some more cash to spend on his upcoming legal issues.

I wonder if WonderLance will make an appearance around here or is he too busy trying to get Lance from his pants?

D-Queued said:
You may be right about the historical construction, but it is only through assessing behavior that the diagnosis can be adequately assessed.

I do take some personal pride in how frequently the term is bandied about with respect to Armstrong, however, and am flattered when you describe this as a "much favored designation".

There was a time, not too long ago, when the inference or suggestion of it would get you an automatic ban on most sites.

Thus, the description was first introduced as a broad suggestion... five years ago. Then, the proposition was ever so slowly ramped up such that descriptions were provided with increasing frequency three years ago.

Sometimes you have to use a lot of line to land the fish.

Dave.

Sure, but the currency and frequency of that term in the common culture has also changed much in those intervening years.

In part though it may be the case--as I suggested in that much longer post--that part of what it reveals is a fundamental lack of center within this culture itself. The gulf between Levi's blase attitude and the antipathy toward him in the other thread is evidence of this. But it is most certainly a historical construction.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/27/h...round-personality-disorders.html?pagewanted=2

Sep 5, 2009
Visit site
Glenn_Wilson said:

Glen, your office happens to be in Houston, Tx. :)

Any national survey conducted on LA would certainly discount or eliminate home state results.

But I agree to an extent that LA will continue to have worshippers.

It is uniquely ingrained in US culture for the need to have national heroes. LA continuously beat the best in the world in a showplace annual international event in a sport that is on the fringe in the US.

That is why the final fall back position justifying LA superior prowess (everyone was doping) is palatable to the non cycling US citizen who believes the US dominate in all fields.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Velodude said:
Glen, your office happens to be in Houston, Tx. :)

Any national survey conducted on LA would certainly discount or eliminate home state results.

But I agree to an extent that LA will continue to have worshippers.

It is uniquely ingrained in US culture for the need to have national heroes. LA continuously beat the best in the world in a showplace annual international event in a sport that is on the fringe in the US.

That is why the final fall back position justifying LA superior prowess (everyone was doping) is palatable to the non cycling US citizen who believes the US dominate in all fields.

I should change my location but have not because I fear that I'm being cyber stalked. :eek:
Anyhow I'm no longer residing in the states. ;) But there are a large number of expats from the State of Texas here. Our discussions about everything usually become arguments and that includes Lance. :D

The way you frame the fall back position is right on the money. I would say that for a while I suffered from that particular part of the affliction, that is I figured everyone was doping but Lance dominated the dopers.

I won't get into the detail's that caused me to change my mind and when but the major point for me is his use of the foundation that appears to me to have been a calculated cold blooded move to insulate himself from any critique on doping.

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I won't get into the detail's that caused me to change my mind and when but the major point for me is his use of the foundation that appears to me to have been a calculated cold blooded move to insulate himself from any critique on doping.[/QUOTE]

This has been the intuition of many many people. Personally, from the first cortisone positive he was highly suspicious. And then all the sudden change in abilities combined with vigorous denials led me to believe that he had the foundation set up to provide an unassailable measure of character and integrity. Circling back to the topic of this thread, the current radio silence leads me to believe things are happening behind the scenes. Bet the check book has a few new, big entries .....

Page Mill Masochist said:
I'm shocked Washington Post still employs her. Maybe not for long.

Lots of people like her out there working for media properties small and large. It's easy to dismiss it or call it all kinds of names, but if she has lots of readers, then she's got a job.

Ed Coyle's still got a job after publishing propaganda disguised as science too. Talk about somebody that should have been shamed out of a job, Ed's done as bad as most Big-Pharma Psychiatry have done over the decade in just one paper.

Too bad Phil/Paul(??) played the bribery conspiracy card. That would have generated some real traffic for her employer. She could probably come up with a better one too. But, I think she missed her opportunity.

Fortyninefourteen said:
Personally, from the first cortisone positive he was highly suspicious.

Being doped by Chris Carmichael as a Junior was all I needed to know. I still don't know why more people haven't put Carmichael's doping juniors and Wonderboy together.

That fraudster still has parts of the cycling industry covering for him. John Wilcockson comes to mind.

Glenn_Wilson said:

Relative to cycling, I think the number will be bigger. Relative to more popular American sports with self-made scandals like Pete Rose in baseball, the number will be tiny.

Glenn_Wilson said:

He'll be back. He can't stay away. There's another scandal right around the corner as long as Wiesel and Wonderboy are involved. I just hope the next one includes felony convictions.

I'm sure part of the reason for the Wonderboy interest is the same reason everyone slows down to gawk at the car accident. Add in the fact many people intuitively understand it's a scam and they want to run a scam that big themselves and he becomes a person of interest.

Glenn_Wilson said:

Well I thought that was one of my funnier lines.

But, to your point, I hope not. And, I actually think not.

Not because Lance wouldn't want to, but more because he appears to be taking advice and is hiding out in dugout canoes on remote tropical islands.

Probably to be closer to his kids, right?

Dave.

TRENDING THREADS