• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong's Image Taking a Hit

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hF6-n0BpcNqYORFKqOBHfw-lZxMwD9HC62K80

Although the investigation is ongoing, public opinion may be starting to shift. Words such as "scandal" and "lie" and "steroids" are now the most popular phrases used to describe Armstrong, according to Zeta Interactive, a marketing firm that tracks online sentiments. In 2008, when Armstrong was the fourth-most talked about athlete, words used to describe him included "hero" and "legend" and "Nike" — a reference to one of his main sponsors.

"Anyone or anything associated with Lance Armstrong should be very worried right now," Zeta Interactive CEO Al DiGuido said. "He has faced these kinds of allegations before, but the fuel really seems to be kicking in this time."

Fifty-eight percent of online sentiments about Armstrong remain positive, according to Zeta's rating system, but that's down from 86 percent at the beginning of July and the first time that it has fallen below 60 percent.

Google must have been taken over by haters.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Interesting. And so many fanboys said FL's allegations were SSDD. Nope.

I'd guess we're seeing the effect of having heavyweight media outlets like WSJ et al giving this so much attention.

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
I'd guess we're seeing the effect of having heavyweight media outlets like WSJ et al giving this so much attention.

Definitely. But, I also think it's because Lance isn't good enough to win anymore, so the scandal is the only story worth writing and reading now. Sadly, if Lance had won #8, then I think that even with the Landis allegations that LA's image would be soaring in the US. But, you're right: the WSJ and NYT are going to report on this collapse until there's nothing left to tear down, and that means that a lot of ordinary people are going to know about it and judge Lance negatively because of it.

Also, I don't care if this impulse is juvenile and resentful; watching the Lance Armstrong empire collapse will be as entertaining to me as the gutting of the home was to the protagonists in Graham Greene's 'The Destructors'.

A

Anonymous

Hey, where is the "this investigation is going nowhere" crowd? They and the "Greg Lemond is a doping cheat too" crowd seem much more quite these days. Hmm...I wonder why?

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Hey, where is the "this investigation is going nowhere" crowd? They and the "Greg Lemond is a doping cheat too" crowd seem much more quite these days. Hmm...I wonder why?

the sour grapes argument dont fly no more

BroDeal said:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hF6-n0BpcNqYORFKqOBHfw-lZxMwD9HC62K80

Although the investigation is ongoing, public opinion may be starting to shift. Words such as "scandal" and "lie" and "steroids" are now the most popular phrases used to describe Armstrong, according to Zeta Interactive, a marketing firm that tracks online sentiments. In 2008, when Armstrong was the fourth-most talked about athlete, words used to describe him included "hero" and "legend" and "Nike" — a reference to one of his main sponsors.

"Anyone or anything associated with Lance Armstrong should be very worried right now," Zeta Interactive CEO Al DiGuido said. "He has faced these kinds of allegations before, but the fuel really seems to be kicking in this time."

Fifty-eight percent of online sentiments about Armstrong remain positive, according to Zeta's rating system, but that's down from 86 percent at the beginning of July and the first time that it has fallen below 60 percent.

Google must have been taken over by haters.

It' too premature to make any judgements yet. But I don't care where or how hard the hammer falls. I just hope justice is done.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:

What investigation? And who is this Greg LeMond?

Thoughtforfood said:

I'm pretty sure your comments sum up why you don't hear from them. People like you derail thread by going off topic with nonsense. When somebody makes even a balanced point or one with historical basis the fellowship of the miserable jumps all over them with asinine comments like fanboy.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
JRTinMA said:
I'm pretty sure your comments sum up why you don't hear from them. People like you derail thread by going off topic with nonsense. When somebody makes even a balanced point or one with historical basis the fellowship of the miserable jumps all over them with asinine comments like fanboy.

that's exactly right.
you must stick it to LA in this forum.

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
ergmonkey said:
Definitely. But, I also think it's because Lance isn't good enough to win anymore, so the scandal is the only story worth writing and reading now. Sadly, if Lance had won #8, then I think that even with the Landis allegations that LA's image would be soaring in the US. But, you're right: the WSJ and NYT are going to report on this collapse until there's nothing left to tear down, and that means that a lot of ordinary people are going to know about it and judge Lance negatively because of it.

Also, I don't care if this impulse is juvenile and resentful; watching the Lance Armstrong empire collapse will be as entertaining to me as the gutting of the home was to the protagonists in Graham Greene's 'The Destructors'.

I agree with you as this will be GREAT to watch as it all unravels. And no one deserves to burn at the stake more than LA. However, thus far at least LA's sponsors are not at all phased by this and frankly look for that to continue. In that regard, you really have to give his PR machine major props. It's all about the "C" word, and LA has worked that angle with all the ruthlessness of a seasoned pimp and the precision of a fine Swiss watch.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:

Where ist the "Lance won´t ride the tour"- and the "Lance will be pulled out and get busted in France"- and the "Lance will go to jail"- etc. CROWD ?

Ah, here it is ! ;)

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking around the Forum and I haven't seen anyone point out this article yet. This seems like the first biggie as an "unidentified cyclist" has now corroborated some of things stated by Floyd Landis:

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7019512356?Sources: Armstrong Knew About, Encouraged Doping

Sources: Armstrong Knew About, Encouraged Doping

Austin, TX, United States (AHN) - A former teammate of Lance Armstrong reportedly backed up claims by that seven-time Tour de France champion and his former United States Postal Service team participated in systematic doping.

According to the New York Times.com, a cyclist, whose identity was not revealed except as a former Armstrong teammate, indicated he had spoken with federal investigators looking into cheating in pro cycling.

The unidentified cyclist, who reportedly detailed some of his own drug use to probers, even though he has never tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs, said the Postal Service team engaged in systematic doping with Armstrong's knowledge and approval.

Armstrong, for his part, has strongly denied any allegations that he engaged in doping.

The said cyclist was only one of the many former associates of Armstrong who were questioned by federal investigators.

The probe was triggered by shocking accusations made by former Postal Service team member Floyd Landis, who publicly accused Armstrong and other teammates of using PED and blood transfusions to gain unfair advantage in the sport.

At the 2006 Tour, Landis snagged the title with the Swiss Phonak team. He was stripped of his title afterwards following the discovery that he had an illegal testosterone ratio.

In June, the 38-year-old Armstrong, who once dominated the Tour with a record seven consecutive victories (1999-2005), announced that the 2010 edition of the Tour de France would be his final.

Armstrong finished this year’s race in 23rd place, almost 40 minutes behind after experiencing seven crashes in the Tour

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestoned said:
Where ist the "Lance won´t ride the tour"- and the "Lance will be pulled out and get busted in France"- and the "Lance will go to jail"- etc. CROWD ?

Ah, here it is ! ;)

What Lance did in the Tour was close to what Lemond hinted at: a no show. As for Jail Time; most think he will plea out before that. Very few reasonably observant people would think he'd go to jail...or that he's innocent.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Cloxxki said:
Did Lance not lie and manipulate one time too many to get out of a jail sentence?

Marion Jones got jailed, and seemed sincerely sorry for her cheating.

Has Lance been interviewed by the feds yet?

If I'm not mistaken... all of the BALCO jail time for atheletes came from perjury/lying under oath type charges. I know that was the case with Jones. It wasn't about cheating... it was about lying under oath about cheating.

It seems like that's not where they're going with Lance... rather more toward fraud and the money side of things... perhaps a steroid distribution charge similar to the charges Conte and Anderson pled to. They don't seem to be treating him like atheletes in the Balco case... who were threatened with jail time if they lied about the investigation but given immunity if they cooperated. The only atheletes who got in trouble were those who didn't cooperate.

A

Anonymous

Cobblestoned said:

Ah, here it is ! ;)

Yea, we are still here, and your uniballed fraud of a hero is still under investigation. He has now resorted to tying to get the Teabaggers to write their congressman about shutting down the investigation. That is almost as sad as his OBVIOUSLY un-doped Tour performance. He should have quit the Tour, he would still have had just as many wins.

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
JRTinMA said:

So, all the one-post-wonders who posted the same old argument (in a new thread each time) about Lemond got scared off by the Fellowship of the Miserable. I doubt that. I think they were here to collect their nickle or internship credit.

A

Anonymous

JRTinMA said:

The truth will make a shrill monkey out of just about anyone. Thanks for taking the bait, you made my day.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
The truth will make a shrill monkey out of just about anyone. Thanks for taking the bait, you made my day.

You have to admit JRT's and BOW's post were funny. I lol'd. Gotta give them props for that.

BTW, I hadn't heard about the wingnut Teabagger angle you posted. Do you have a link for that?

A

Anonymous

ChrisE said:
You have to admit JRT's and BOW's post were funny. I lol'd. Gotta give them props for that.

BTW, I hadn't heard about the wingnut Teabagger angle you posted. Do you have a link for that?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ct-spt-0806-armstrong-lance--20100805,0,6800793.story

"The power of the federal government is being abused to pursue dated and discredited allegations, and that's flat-out wrong, unethical, un-American and a waste of taxpayer dollars."

All he left out was something along the lines of "I was talking with Michelle Bachmann and..."

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ct-spt-0806-armstrong-lance--20100805,0,6800793.story

"The power of the federal government is being abused to pursue dated and discredited allegations, and that's flat-out wrong, unethical, un-American and a waste of taxpayer dollars."

All he left out was something along the lines of "I was talking with Michelle Bachmann and..."

That's just his lawyer talking shyt. Where does it say LA is asking Teabaggers to write their congressman?

A

Anonymous

ChrisE said:
That's just his lawyer talking shyt. Where does it say LA is asking Teabaggers to write their congressman?

Oh, that was just me trolling.

TRENDING THREADS