• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Armstrong's Options

May 19, 2011
Visit site
There must be some fascinating discussions going on at Lance HQ. What do we think his options are?

1. Stay silent and hope it goes away?

2. Lie and deny, lie and deny?

3. Come clean with the "everyone did it and I'm a fundraising legend" excuse?

I would say the implications for these 3 options are that he

1. Loses all credibility.
2. Loses all credibility.
3. Loses all credibility.

I guess with option 3 he will retain a hardcore fan base......maybe.

Are there any other options? Might he completely disappear from public view in shame and embarrasment? Seems unlikely.

Whilst I am delighted that the truth is now out I genuinely wouldn't want him to come to any harm. It must be a very difficult corner that he has painted himself into. I'm not sorry for him but I don't want him to come to any harm I wouldn't wish that on anyone........

Not even Thatcher!

Magic Spanner said:
There must be some fascinating discussions going on at Lance HQ. What do we think his options are?

1. Stay silent and hope it goes away?

2. Lie and deny, lie and deny?

3. Come clean with the "everyone did it and I'm a fundraising legend" excuse?

I would say the implications for these 3 options are that he

1. Loses all credibility.
2. Loses all credibility.
3. Loses all credibility.

I guess with option 3 he will retain a hardcore fan base......maybe.

Are there any other options? Might he completely disappear from public view in shame and embarrasment? Seems unlikely.

Whilst I am delighted that the truth is now out I genuinely wouldn't want him to come to any harm. It must be a very difficult corner that he has painted himself into. I'm not sorry for him but I don't want him to come to any harm I wouldn't wish that on anyone........

Not even Thatcher!

I think the problem is that he wouldn't necessarily have a problem with admitting to his drug use. The problem for Armstrong is admitting to drug use is admitting to supplying, trafficking etc. So whilst he could admit to the drug use saying “everyone was doing it” - he probably wouldn't based on incriminating himself in 100’s of other potential charges.

Now saying all this Lance is delusion. He’s told a lot of people he’s clean – he’s looked them in the eyes and told them. Cancer patients, sponsors, politicians etc. Its going to be hard to admit that not only did he use but he lied to a lot of people for financial and personal gain.

I have to say the Feds have got him cornered. There’s no way out. He can’t even do interviews anymore. Just crazy drunk twitter updates from his ranch.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Armstrong has lots of options but the best is probably to stay on course and make them prove their case. 10 year old data and evidence is the only thing Lance has going for him.

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
I think the problem is that he wouldn't necessarily have a problem with admitting to his drug use. The problem for Armstrong is admitting to drug use is admitting to supplying, trafficking etc. So whilst he could admit to the drug use saying “everyone was doing it” - he probably wouldn't based on incriminating himself in 100’s of other potential charges.

Now saying all this Lance is delusion. He’s told a lot of people he’s clean – he’s looked them in the eyes and told them. Cancer patients, sponsors, politicians etc. Its going to be hard to admit that not only did he use but he lied to a lot of people for financial and personal gain.

I have to say the Feds have got him cornered. There’s no way out. He can’t even do interviews anymore. Just crazy drunk twitter updates from his ranch.

Quite.

If he was a rational human being he'd realise that the Hincapie / T de S cover up disclosures are a complete game changer & he needs to go into damage limitation mode immediately. However, as we all know he's an arrogant egotist & will probably continue with his increasingly ludicrous 'deny everything' tactics.

If I were advising him I'd tell him to ditch the ridiculous Fabiani, get himself a serious criminal law practitioner & think about cutting a deal (massive fine, suspended sentence) if & when he is charged.

I wonder if any of his ex commercial partners go after him for breach of contract? If they do he could find his bank balance severely depleted

David Walsh indicated in his Sunday Times article yesterday that News Corp will be revisiting the 2006 libel settlement in the light of this investigation.

Herewith the Judgement by way of a recap:-

http://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/marku...html&query=Lance+and+Armstrong&method=boolean

May 19, 2011
Visit site
fatandfast said:
Armstrong has lots of options but the best is probably to stay on course and make them prove their case. 10 year old data and evidence is the only thing Lance has going for him.

...... and prove it they will.

Not understanding the legal system in the US, what is the likelyhood of him being incarcerated? Can he buy his way out of prison by admitting guilt?

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Is it really looking that bad for Lance? I've always believed he will just get away with it, true or not. A lot of time passed and thats all in his favor. The Americans will surely make sure there's no big damage anyway. All this fuss might just be about nothing in the end. Who's going to separate truth from lies?

Have I been sleeping the last couple of months?

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I guess the situastion in "Der Lance Bunker" must be something like it was for another guy, which also had a problem with grips on reality and his own remaining strengths..

Maybe time for another Der Untergang video? ;) :)

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Change in attitude ?

I suspect that if the noose tightens enough, we will see a DRAMATIC change in Armstrong's attitude.

Even though he has been a BRAZEN cheat, he has always been cocky about getting away with it. The reason ? He has a lot of people on his side (Nike, the American public, American media, UCI, until recently most teamates,...).
Nothing "pumps someone up like a peacock" like having an "army" behind you (just look at criminals in crime organizations, or corrupt cops),

When that "army" starts to desolve, watch Lancy become a scared little boy.

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Real options:

1. Stop shaving legs
2. Don't drop the soap.
3. Stab someone on the first day
4. Don't be a snitch

Or

1. Keep shaving legs
2. Grow out hair
3. lube (via blackcat)
4. Freddy Vianne's massage oils
5. A dash of DZ Nuts for avoiding that burning feeling.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
I suggest this defence:

UCI and Swiss laboratory conspired against Lance. They spiked his sample, and then used it to blackmail him. He payed them because he couldn't bear to break the hearts of the cancer sufferers.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Magic Spanner said:

Not understanding the legal system in the US, what is the likelyhood of him being incarcerated? Can he buy his way out of prison by admitting guilt?

I would say there is a good chance. The investigation appears to have lots of real data, possible payoffs and multi country offenses.
If the get Rico as part of it,almost nobody gets convicted of those type of charges and doesn't do time.
If he admits guilt, and says it publicly he may get a few million in fines and millions of hours of community services. He has to stop the money and time used to catch him in the feds office. They missed with Bonds but seeing Tyler give back his medal for no reason and seeing George poop in his own mouth, ruin his clothing company and reputation it is safe to say they may have more than one smoking gun on Lance.

Lance better hope that the UCI becomes the biggest fish in this story and he can get some help by giving facts about them and the systemic wrongdoing otherwise he is toast.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:

This would be the route the Feds would want him to take imo.
"Fight it Lance - we dare you. Double dare you. 20 dares/indictments you"
Thats Job security for the Feds. Years and years of taxpayer paid paychecks for the Feds.

If Lance fights, the Feds will tax and prosecute.
Tax and prosecute.
Not deep pockets, but many many many pockets.
Millions and millions of pockets.

And as a taxpayer - Lance double pays.
Defense and Prosecution.

Does not matter if data is 10 years old.
Does not matter that Tyler continues to be a Drama Queen.
The public and the jury do not know Tyler is a Drama Queen.
Must waste resources trying to prove the truth.

The tough part for Lance, I would think, is not turning on people.
Not ratting people out. It would suck if Lance rats people out.

Tyler said doping was already going on at Postal before Lance arrived.
Doping was going on at Motorola too per Frankie. Frankie doped then.

Thats Eddie B and Weisel.
But Lance will not want to turn on people.

Will Lance not tell the whole truth and take the fall for others?
Lance has honor.
Lazer Like Focus on Livestrong makes sense.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
fatandfast said:
I would say there is a good chance. The investigation appears to have lots of real data, possible payoffs and multi country offenses.
If the get Rico as part of it,almost nobody gets convicted of those type of charges and doesn't do time.
If he admits guilt, and says it publicly he may get a few million in fines and millions of hours of community services. He has to stop the money and time used to catch him in the feds office. They missed with Bonds but seeing Tyler give back his medal for no reason and seeing George poop in his own mouth, ruin his clothing company and reputation it is safe to say they may have more than one smoking gun on Lance.

Lance better hope that the UCI becomes the biggest fish in this story and he can get some help by giving facts about them and the systemic wrongdoing otherwise he is toast.

Why would you think George ruined the clothing company. The sale of Festina watch rose after the cycling team was chucked out of the tour.

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
fatandfast said:

Agreed. He just has to hope he gets a jury full of idiots. It worked for Barry Bonds. Then there will be an appeal and he can keep pumping the "waste of taxpayer dollars" angle.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Magic Spanner said:

lets not forget they couldn't even prove Bary bonds lied

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure it matters if he rats people out or not. He's the biggest name and the biggest story. He's made it that way.

He's the one who has looked sponsors, fans and cancer survivors in the face and lied.

My laser sharp focus is on the allegation that he used PEDs to win. Nothing is going to shift attention.

Honour / Honor ?????? You mean he believes in loyalty because he demanded it from others by the force of his personality? I call it bullying.

mikkemus23 said:
Maybe time for another Der Untergang video?

Hilarious! I posted a comment about this on the Velonews site. Instead of Hitler yelling "Feigeline! Fegelein! Fegelein! he'll be yelling "Hincapie Hincapie Hincapie!!!"

The truth is, Armstrong cannot go through his options until the indictments drop, which I'm hoping will be before the Tour de France.

He knows what he did, but why to cop to things the Feds may not charge him with?

In other words, he cannot take a preemptive strike on this until he knows what the charges against him are and more importantly, who flipped. Once he knows what the testimony is against him, then he can act accordingly.

I think the general consensus here is that the information revealed on 60 Minutes is enough to go on, but it really is not. Quite possibly it could be just the tip of the iceberg.

We still don't know about steroid trafficking, the steroid administering by the team doctors, the money laundering, and the payoffs to the UCI.

There is still a lot to go before all is said and done, so right now there really is no use getting ahead of ourselves.

Unfortunately we'll have to keep waiting for a bit while longer.

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
Berzin said:
We still don't know about steroid trafficking, the steroid administering by the team doctors, the money laundering, and the payoffs to the UCI.

There is still a lot to go before all is said and done, so right now there really is no use getting ahead of ourselves.

Unfortunately we'll have to keep waiting for a bit while longer.

Indeed. We still don't know the details of what Leipheimer, Hincapie, and Dave Z might have said. That brings the timeline up closer to retirement 1.0. I would think that the methods and network became more sophisticated as time went on.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Agreed.

However Hamilton said his testimony was last summer. Potentially almost a year ago. GJ Will have much much more than 60 minutes. Armstrong will already know more than we do about who coughed what.

I'm in no rush. I'm enjoying the drip drip drip as LA's credibility slips away and we follow him further and further down this dead end. We're not turning back so sooner or later we get to the destination.

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
We also don't really know the full extent of the law enforcement groups arrayed and deployed on the case. This will sound funny to people who don't know, but team lance better hope the postal inspector's office doesn't get too involved.

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
couldn't he come clean without making any excuses? the more he resists, smears his former friends and colleagues, and hides behind his cancer foundation, the more he looks like a total piece of s:eek:t
limit your losses, armstrong. fess up. get robert shapiro and johnny cochran and cut a deal

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Armstrong has no idea what the Feds have in hand, and it's that uncertainty that's going to make him cut a deal. It's a poker game at this point, imo, and his only choices are to hope that the other guy is bluffing and try to tough it out or to fold. But considering the potential consequences of being wrong about the other guy bluffing, my guess would be that he's going to fold.