• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

As McQuaid says : Only in Spain.

the federation decided to clear Bezabeh because of lack of evidence and given that “Spanish sporting legislation does not consider a simple attempt at doping as a misdemeanour.”
What.

No, seriously, what. I thought Bezabeh confessed?

I love the way racewalker García Bragado put it: "Bezabeh has been cleared? I bet Odriozola [president of the federation] is going to Ethiopia to tell him and that way he'll get some allowances from the federation... legal allowances, of course."

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Hawkwood said:
A quote from the above article:`Bezabeh admitted that half a litre of his blood had been taken but insisted it was for testing purposes.' You couldn't make it up could you?

a bloody joke indeed

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Different times, same excuse.

If you remember, this was almost the EXACT SAME excuse given by the Spanish judiciary after "Operation Puerto" to cover up the names of the athletes on the "Fuentes list".

“Spanish sporting legislation does not consider a simple attempt at doping as a misdemeanour.”

So, after Puerto, Spain adjusted their laws to stop doping, yet, their laws still allow doping ?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
No ****.
I seriously think there are people pulling strings from higher up in Spain. The cover-up is too obvious. Perhaps there is some betting-maffia involved in all this.

I still read comments on the web saying that it is all one big French conspiracy against Aldirto.
Guess we got that rumor out of the way now that boith WADA and UCI are both appealing.

Andynonomous said:
If you remember, this was almost the EXACT SAME excuse given by the Spanish judiciary after "Operation Puerto" to cover up the names of the athletes on the "Fuentes list".

“Spanish sporting legislation does not consider a simple attempt at doping as a misdemeanour.”

So, after Puerto, Spain adjusted their laws to stop doping, yet, their laws still allow doping ?
You're getting two completely different things mixed. Before Puerto, doping was not illegal under Spanish law, and a new law was passed to make doping by itself a crime, but that has nothing to do with Spanish sporting legislation. This is the decision of the Spanish athletics federation, it has nothing to do with the legal implications of Galgo.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Spanish Sports Minister Jaime Lissavetzky says the UCI's appeal of Alberto Contador's doping ban is "shaky."

UCI President Pat McQuaid has said the governing body appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport because of suspicions that Spanish cycling officials were put under political pressure to overturn the Tour de France champion's proposed one-year suspension.

But Lissavetzky says "the argument seems a little shaky."
http://www.sify.com/news/spanish-minister-calls-contador-appeal-shaky-news-news-lecmakeajaj.html

"I'm ashamed to wear the Spanish jersey. Competing in an event with a Spanish shirt harms my image _ I'm even thinking about not competing in the worlds," Martinez [sic, > Sanchez] was quoted as saying on Radio Cantabria.

Sanchez was also critical of Spanish Sports Minister Jaime Lissavetzky, who he says is responsible for awarding grants to athletes implicated in Galgo while others _ including himself _ are not given any state funding.

"I only hope I can win an Olympic medal so that Lissavetzky comes to congratulate me. Then I'll smack him in the face with the medal and tell him that that's the thanks he gets for all the (expletive) help he's given me, which is nothing," Sanchez said.

Lissavetzky, who is leaving his post to run for mayor of Madrid, has repeatedly said that Spain is a leading crusader in the fight against doping. However, the country has endured a number of scandals, including three-time Tour de France champion Alberto Contador's escape from a ban and Operation Puerto, cycling's largest drug investigation that has yet to yield any bans for Spanish athletes.

"This country is a disgrace," the 29-year-old Sanchez said. "I'm a world silver medalist, I have European records and I don't even get any federal grant money while many of those implicated in Operation Galgo do."

http://www.taiwannews.com.tw/etn/news_content.php?id=1560934

Those in the know say Sánchez is not one to talk, as he's one of the suspicious athletes out there.

Anyway, I find it very interesting that the athletes are so outspoken against doping and against the system. Not sure if there's actually a real anti-doping culture, or if the top athletes dope but are forced by the lack of omertà to speak out like the commoners under them.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Mr Lissavetzky words have some merit, however I disagree with the perceived sentiment.

I agree the reasons for appeal given by the UCI seem wishy washy and makes the appeal appear half hearted and begrudging. However I do believe that the commentary by senior politicians: to be ill advised and there is an appearance of asserting influence...whether intended or not.

Perceptions play an important part in "politics". It is crucial that these situations are fully explored to ensure that the reality does not bear any relationship to the perception.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Hajo Seppelt: Well, for me what is most astonishing is that I don’t understand the Spanish media…I cannot understand it. How many serious sports journalists do work on that story? Maybe there are some, but I don’t see them. Is there someone who is commenting independently on this story? I didn't read more than a few critical stories about Contador in Spain. The majority defended him. Why? Because he is a national hero? I cannot understand why sports journalists are not working in the way they should work. That means: independently.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/8...rto-Contador-positive-case.aspx#ixzz1IeeKnQFw

Seems like the anti-spanish brigade seemed to "forgot" this line:

It’s not just in Spain. If you see how they [the media] have dealt with Lance Armstrong, it is interesting. We also did research about him. I don’t understand how people at this stage now don’t take into consideration that the timing of his resigning this month could be linked to the [federal] investigation. I only read in the German newspaper that he resigned, that he had a good time, that he was now 39 years old and that he didn’t look back with a bad feeling, that everything he did was fine.

But ohh, it was an "only in Spain" thread.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
No_Balls said:
Seems like the anti-spanish brigade seemed to "forgot" this line:

But ohh, it was an "only in Spain" thread.

indeed, so the fact that it doesn't happen only in spain is the perfect excuse for spain to continue its current (anti)doping policies.
keep it going, that's the way to deal with it indeed.

And who are you accusing of anti-spanish sentiments? not me I hope. quiro a los espanoles. la leche.
Does that relieve me of the right to criticise clear fraud as is happening in Spain at the moment?

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Don't know if it deserves its own thread, but the Spanish Council for Sports (highest government office for sport) has confirmed that they will join the accusation in the trial of OP and will ask for two and a half years sentence for Manolo, Fuentes, Belda and a few others. Same sentence UCI and WADA asked for, or so they say.

http://www.elmundo.es/elmundodeporte/2011/04/08/ciclismo/1302264430.html

We'll see if this is just part of a war between goverment and the federations.

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Sounds encouraging.

icefire said:
Don't know if it deserves its own thread, but the Spanish Council for Sports (highest government office for sport) has confirmed that they will join the accusation in the trial of OP and will ask for two and a half years sentence for Manolo, Fuentes, Belda and a few others. Same sentence UCI and WADA asked for, or so they say.

http://www.elmundo.es/elmundodeporte/2011/04/08/ciclismo/1302264430.html

We'll see if this is just part of a war between goverment and the federations.

I hope that we get some transparency from this (a FULL list of Fuentes clients). It would help Spain's reputation.

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
And again.

Spanish judge excuses charges against Marta Dominguez.

http://road.cc/content/news/34744-doping-charges-dropped-against-top-spanish-athlete…-no-not-him

Cover up of Fuentes list.

Dropping of charges against Fuentes when he threatens to reveal "Spanish Hero" names. TWICE (Puerto and Galgo).

Lying by Lissavetzky about what sports have athletes on the Fuentes list.

Interference by Spanish President in Contador case.

"Exoneration" of Contador (on an open and shut case - he tested positive, and couldn't prove contamination, therefore is guilty by the rules) by a SPANISH federation (RFEC).

The "clearing" of Dominguez.

The "clearing" of the African born Spanish athlete from the OP.

Does anybody still believe that Spain is not a special case (protects it's dopers more than any other nation) ?

If you want to maintain a facade of "fighting doping", you at least throw the ones who get caught red-handed, under the bus. But this action by Spain to protect all top level Spanish dopers is just brazen in my opinion. I believe this is a strategic error on Spain's part. Even some journalists are making public statements saying that Spain is giving the "appearance" of protecting their CHEATS (Steve Tignor at "Tennis.com").

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Andynonomous said:
Spanish judge excuses charges against Marta Dominguez.

http://tinyurl.com/3mqngc4

Cover up of Fuentes list.

Dropping of charges against Fuentes when he threatens to reveal "Spanish Hero" names. TWICE (Puerto and Galgo).

Lying by Lissavetzky about what sports have athletes on the Fuentes list.

Interference by Spanish President in Contador case.

"Exoneration" of Contador (on an open and shut case - he tested positive, and couldn't prove contamination, therefore is guilty by the rules) by a SPANISH federation (RFEC).

The "clearing" of Dominguez.

The "clearing" of the African born Spanish athlete from the OP.

Does anybody still believe that Spain is not a special case (protects it's dopers more than any other nation) ?

If you want to maintain a facade of "fighting doping", you at least throw the ones who get caught red-handed, under the bus. But this action by Spain to protect all top level Spanish dopers is just brazen in my opinion. I believe this is a strategic error on Spain's part. Even some journalists are making public statements saying that Spain is giving the "appearance" of protecting their CHEATS (Steve Tignor at "Tennis.com").

the link doesn't work.

if it's true that rodriguez walks, that's as sad as it gets.
I agree with your entire post.
Wrong tactics by Spain. if the attitude doesn't change, the Spanish legacy will turn out to be none. On the long run, nobody outside of Spain will take Spanish results in sports seriously anymore.

The "others do it too"-argument is really outdated. Of course, others do it to. But nobody does it as flagrantly as Spain.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts