• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

ASO Christian Prudhomme: Contador is welcome and can ride the Tour 2011

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I noticed on the coverage of the Giro that there quite a few boos following Contador around not to mention some guy dangling a piece of meat in front of him. At one point near the end of one of the stages Contador seemed to get irritated by the crowd and looked back as if he did not understand what it all meant. Duh ! Expect more of the same at the TDF. People admire his exploits but a lot of fans don't think he should be allowed to compete. At least if he wins they might play the correct Spanish national anthem for a change.

movingtarget said:
I noticed on the coverage of the Giro that there quite a few boos following Contador around not to mention some guy dangling a piece of meat in front of him. At one point near the end of one of the stages Contador seemed to get irritated by the crowd and looked back as if he did not understand what it all meant. Duh ! Expect more of the same at the TDF. People admire his exploits but a lot of fans don't think he should be allowed to compete. At least if he wins they might play the correct Spanish national anthem for a change.

I think all of what you are referencing occurred on Stage 15 (Zoncolan) and the boos were largely attributed to the tifosi being upset with the cancellation of the Crostis (sp) climb, which folks attributed to Contador's statements regarding the danger of the descent.

But I'm sure there will be plenty of protesters of some kind at the Tour. Include steak guy.

Good. They have no cause to block Contador's participation. It's unfortunate that the appeals process is taking an absurdly long time, but I think it's incredibly ridiculous that there's so much talk of Contador's Giro title and, if he wins it the 2011 TdF, being stripped if he loses the appeal. How do they justify that? Contador was/is allowed to participate in these races. Unless he returns a positive doping control for them, it's not justice to strip the titles because of last year's test taking over a year to resolve.

Also keep in mind that, whatever you think of Spain's ruling with regards to bias, they cleared Contador. Potential bias or not, that is the system in place in cycling. Don't like it? Advocate for changing the system. However, at this point in time he is cleared of wrongdoing until such time as he loses the appeal, if he loses of course...

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Would you say the same though if Rujano got second this year at the Giro? :p

Just curious :D

i know what is your problem with rujano.

your problem with rujano is that cancellara is better than gilbert :eek:

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
AussieGoddess said:
forgive me if Im wrong - but I was of the understanding that in the past the ASO simply threatened to 'uninvite' the whole team if said rider didnt pull out .... so the teams really had no choice.

Now - with the pro-tour and new rules, the ASO HAS to invite Saxo, so cant threaten them really ...

The rules on rider invites and Pro Tour teams changed at the end of 2009. Many teams were denied an upgrade from Continental Tour license to Pro Tour, despite following all the rules and regulations to face an new team, like Sky or Shack, simply rolling into the Pro Tour ranks after dropping some cash. There are many teams in the Pro Tour who do not deserve licenses. The UCI noticed the conflict with their old rules and who actually had the licenses, so they changed the system last year. You get your license based not on time in the races, but riders points. It is why the new Aussies Greenedge initiative if they get the right riders, will make the Pro Tour ranks.

All 18 Pro Tour teams are guaranteed invites to GT's. The reason the Tour and Giro now have 22-23 teams, is because of the rule change for licenses. Many lower ranked Continental Teams that have done the hard yards in previous editions weren't guaranteed places. Naturally, the rules for rider entry have changed as well. If you aren't sanctioned or facing an inquiry, you are free to ride. The Spanish cleared AC, he can race anywhere, or the organisers face the UCI stepping in. Note AC didn't race till the Spanish doping body cleared him of wrong doing. National doping agencies hold a great deal of power in when riders get back on the road racing.

Aug 29, 2009
Visit site
Walkman said:
Would you like to explain to me why AC has not supplied a hair test in order to determined if he has used Clenbuterol long term?

Btw, if there was no chance of he getting a sample of meat, why was he going on and on and on and on about the damn recipe? Was that just more bull**** coming out of his mouth (with that cute baby-voice of his)?

Some fans actually want to see a cleaner sport even if idiots, such as yourself, doesn't care about that.

I don't think a hair test is necessary because he has several previous negative doping control tests; this shows the positive comes suddenly, and in a very small amount (certainly not consistent with taking clen at the tour?)g. A hair test would be needed if they had only one test, since then he would have to show that the clen was not there prior to that test, or that it was the result of a tiny contamination consistent with e.g. a bad steak. Of course, a more likely contaminant would be a blood bag, but nevertheless a hair sample is not required here.

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Publicus said:
I think all of what you are referencing occurred on Stage 15 (Zoncolan) and the boos were largely attributed to the tifosi being upset with the cancellation of the Crostis (sp) climb, which folks attributed to Contador's statements regarding the danger of the descent.

But I'm sure there will be plenty of protesters of some kind at the Tour. Include steak guy.

Were they boos or moos?

If there is going to be a proper result affecting protest, France is the most likely place to have one.

That may be an unfair stereotype view from over the water.