• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Astana transfusion equipment "Criminal"

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
During the Tour this year the French police took a large amount of medical equipment from a variety of teams. Astana was found to have transfusion equipment that is illegal. Deputy Prosecutor of Paris, Dominique Pérard said today that "the possession of infusion sets is itself a crime" It is also banned under WADA rules. Several Astana team members and staff are going to be called to testify.

http://www.lemonde.fr/sport/article...penale-pendant-le-tour-2009_1284426_3242.html

No doubt there will be a lot of bluster about victimisation from the French.
Just watch the UCI do it's level best to shove the blame in the direction of the team name, not those responsible, but departed.

Quite clear where the buck stops and yet more evidence of The Hog's quality as a doping director, par excellence.
No wonder he and Lance command such loyalty amongst their riders.:rolleyes:

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
It will be very interesting to see how this plays out. I wonder what tactics we will see from The Hog and The Boss. Blame the press? Blame the Kazakhs? Claim to have an alternate use for the kits? Obtain a retroactive exemption from the UCI? Ok, I'm trolling for wonder puppets, but nonetheless this should be worth watching to see what rationale for the kits is given.

Rex Hunter

BANNED
Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
Um, I note the article is in French. Do we actually have a reliable translation from a neutral party? We all remember the difficulty this poster got themselves into over his reporting of the LeMond case. We wouldn't want something like that to happen again.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Cerberus said:
I don't speak French but I ran it through Google translate and apparently they've found 7 separate genetic profiles on the equipment. Assuming that there is no legal use for it that means organised doping on the team.

(translated link for other non-Francophones)
http://translate.google.com/transla...nt-le-tour-2009_1284426_3242.html&sl=fr&tl=en

And my fear is that the team will pay by being banned from the tour in 2010 when those who had the power to organize doping have formed a rival squad.

We'll soon have Flicker, Guilder, Speedway, The Phantom Menace et al, with a concerted campaign of deflection.
Contador? First person in the firing line is Bruyneel. Who is he managing now?

pedaling squares said:
And my fear is that the team will pay by being banned from the tour in 2010 when those who had the power to organize doping have formed a rival squad.

+1
Just watch McQuaid try engineering that exact scenario.

pedaling squares said:

Except that the Hog was the director so none of this could have happened without his knowledge and everyone knows it.

It's not as though it's a shock to anyone that cycling teams transfuse blood.

Rex Hunter

BANNED
Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
This quote is revealing.

According to our information, infusion sets belonging to the training the winner of the Tour have been seized by police from the Central Office of the struggle against environmental damage and public health (Oclaesp).

It appears the transfusion set belonged to the winner - Contador.

No wonder AC kept his numbers secret and shot up the Verbier faster than anyone in history.

Has Contador yet responded to the allegation they have got his blood transfusion set? He's probably going to keep his head down.

Another black day for Spanish cycling.

Rex Hunter

BANNED
Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:

Actually it's in Contador's contract that he can be released from the team if they are banned. But now they apparently have his transfusion set this may be the least of his worries.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
if true, the equipment typically would contain residual dna-carrying cells. tracing it down to a host is a child’s play.

if the uci wont share armstrong’s dna sample with afld, the french can retest his hair from march this year. to my knowledge it was never tested.

berto is safe cos his wasnt a ‘good teammate’

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Rex Hunter said:
This quote is revealing.

No wonder AC kept his numbers secret and shot up the Verbier faster than anyone in history.

Has Contador yet responded to the allegation they have got his blood transfusion set? He's probably going to keep his head down.

Nice try, but you must have missed/ignored this

"seven genetic profiles of different people" were prepared from seizures made with the Astana team.

I know, you are going to say that the seven people are Contador and 6 mechanics. Your trolling and sockpuppets are too obvious.

Rex Hunter

BANNED
Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Except that the Hog was the director so none of this could have happened without his knowledge and everyone knows it.

It's not as though it's a shock to anyone that cycling teams transfuse blood.

Of course, this "tranfusion set" term might just be a sexed up way of talking about IV equipment for dehydration. This was reported at the time they found the stuff so it might not be anything new.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Rex Hunter said:
This quote is revealing.

It's google-translated. Don't jump to conclusions from a single sentence. If the report actually linked the set to Contador directly the actual human translation would most likely have mentioned it also. Of cause if at least 7 members of the team used I doubt that Contador or Armstrong or exceptions.

ETA: Can one of the French-Speakers on the thread comment on what the French Article actually says on this point?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Rex Hunter said:
Of course, this "tranfusion set" term might just be a sexed up way of talking about IV equipment for dehydration. This was reported at the time they found the stuff so it might not be anything new.

Your disinformation campaign is weak. Drip bags, no matter if they are filled with blood or saline, are illegal.

Rex Hunter

BANNED
Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Nice try, but you must have missed/ignored this

"seven genetic profiles of different people" were prepared from seizures made with the Astana team.

I know, you are going to say that the seven people are Contador and 6 mechanics. Your trolling and sockpuppets are too obvious.

But the only person fingered at this stage is Contador. They said the transfusion set belonged to the winner. Unless the translation is wrong.

It's a terrible blow for the Contador and the Tour that another winner has been caught up in a doping scam.

Thinking more upon this. No way can the blame be shifted from Bruyneel, to Astana.
That would be placing the blame on the sponsors, instead of team management and individual riders. That should never happen.

A pity that The Shack have opted not to attend the Giro, as this investigation will probably see their Tour invitation, ripped up.

I don't think the Vuelta will offer much in the way of consolation.

TRENDING THREADS